Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-24-2004, 03:57 PM   #151  
Persistent and Stubborn

Welcome Laura and congratulations on all of your weight loss. You don't seem to be very far from your goal. Have you lost weight by biking? I also bike and love it. I wish I could ride more but I try to put most of my extra time into running because I wasn't losing any weight biking. Running is more efficient for me. Hmmm....come to think of it, I'm not losing weight running either....but I did in the past and keep hoping. How much do you ride?

Tanya - excellent running. I've been wondering lately what I am going to do when the bad weather gets here. I might have to find a treadmill. Congratulations on your weight loss. Have you been watching your eating closely too or just doing the running?
shyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:10 AM   #152  
singletrack chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyangel
Welcome Laura and congratulations on all of your weight loss. You don't seem to be very far from your goal. Have you lost weight by biking? I also bike and love it. I wish I could ride more but I try to put most of my extra time into running because I wasn't losing any weight biking. Running is more efficient for me. Hmmm....come to think of it, I'm not losing weight running either....but I did in the past and keep hoping. How much do you ride?
there wasnt a specific activity that made me lose weight.. staying active and religiously counting calories helped me lose weight. i started out losing weight by riding my bike because its low impact. i lose more weight when i run but im not biking to lose weight. i liked riding my bike so much that i race now. right now, we are in the downhill racing season so i've been riding road for endurance 3 days a weeks and focussing on building lower body stregnth by strength training 3 days a week. i've been trying to run at leat two days a week so i dont get so out of shape, because this winter cyclocross starts up and it involves running and biking. i mainly ride mountain bikes and in the spring and fall i ride more because the weather is better. but thats enough about rambling about bikes in a running thread.

i did go run yesterday. i ran hills for 20 minutes followed by a 20 minute jog home. im a little sore today but not too bad. nothing a little coffee wont fix.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:15 AM   #153  
Persistent and Stubborn

Laura - sounds like you do a lot of activity, which is great and cross training is always good.

I did get out last night and ran with a friend. I stayed back with her (although we ran faster) and ran 10/walk 3/ran 8/walk 3/ran 6/walk 10ish (I didn't keep track at the end). I definitely could have done more but it was good to get out and a nice social experience. Anything is better than nothing these days.

Framing tonight so no running. Tomorrow I should be doing 30 minutes at our club's pub run. Hopefully it won't ran.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:31 PM   #154  

Welcome Laura (from another Laura)! Your weightloss is impressive and it's great that you're keeping it off.

I finally got into a good rhythm yesterday, 1 min run/ 2 min walk alternating, but my shins still got tight despite my stretching. Maybe I need to find some yoga moves to do nightly to try to loosen things up, cause it's starting to tick me off!
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 12:59 PM   #155  
Running Babe

Hey all,

All my clothes are looser and my weight is up? Gosh, gotta love plateaus which I should call "maintanence practice", it's a lifestyle not a diet. Anyhoo, I ran on Monday and will run tonight. I weight trained my arms and back last night and they're sore now, which isn't a bad thing. I also did 25 minutes on the elliptical.

Illene: You could always email the running room and ask to see if they could consider opening one up in Cornwall. If they know there is an interest they may eventually build one.

Tanya: yah about the loss! I am in a plateau right now (eating great, activity's been pushed up, just one of those things), but hopefully I'll forge downward soon. Keep it up!

BikingLaura: Ah, caffeine can be great for muscle pain. I am trying harder to drink more water though. I drink way too much diet coke, so I am trying hard to incorporate more water. Awesome about the racing too!!

Laura: yeah, stretching shins isn't the easiest. Good luck though!!

Ang: I am in a plateau right now too... I ramped up my activity, but my weight is not cooperating, but my clothing sizes are and I guess that's the important thing right. I find running is awesome to incorporate for WL though.

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:32 PM   #156  

Hi everyone. Did get my run in this morning and last night. I also went for a walk. The run this morning was hard didn't get a good sleep. I sure hope to tonight. I have been doing the weights stilland that is going well.
I was asked by the one person that I run with most of the time if I would like to go to a half marathon in Oct. I am not ready yet. I am going to look at a 8 K next month and start there. I also would like to see what it would be like to be in a run that has more that 70 people first. The other thing with this run that she is talking about is about 8 hours away and I would prefer to do one closer to home. I am going to check out some more.
Well things look like everyone is runnign well.
Ali atleast your clothes are fitting looser. That is a grreat thing. Some time that is what you have to go by.
Laura keep up that great work you are going to get there soon you just keep in trucking.
Ang you too are doing great. You all must feel good.
bike Laura I hope that caffine helped. keep up you great work.
Well on to a nother day and keep up all the great work.
Tanya
2cutekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:20 PM   #157  
Persistent and Stubborn

Laura - any chance you are tieing your laces too tightly? If you have good running shoes this could be part of the problem. I also have more shin issues when I run hills.

Ali - If your clothes keep fitting better than yea for you. Some people have also told me that you can sometimes help end a plateau by making some radical changes (even if temporary) to your routine. This could be taking a couple of days and eating a few more good calories or upping the intensity of your workouts for a week. I think the point is to get your body out of the habit and jump start it by shocking it with something new.

Tanya - you are doing so well with your running and weights. I think it is smart to know what your limits are and not injuring yourself trying to train for a half marathon. The fall is the time for a lot of 5k and 10k races. Like you I want to run in something that has a lot of people but is at a comfortable distance for me. The only two races I did in the spring were small (under 300 people) so I assume big races have a totally different feel.

I worked in the garden for 2 hours today and should be running 3 miles tomorrow night with my club. I'm going for 4 times running this week, even though the distances are short.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:29 AM   #158  
singletrack chick

hey everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. i ran again this morning (3 miles). that makes twice this week that i've gotten out to run. im happy. it went well but some times i have trouble staying focussed on my running when i run that long. anyone else have this problem. sometimes i just want to stop running so bad even though i dont really need too. i feel like i could keep going but i dont want to. and i dont know about the rest of you but i cant wait for cool weather running. i got out at 8 this morning to beat the heat and by the time i got home it was already almost 90 f outside. agggg.

oh and laura i would also suggest adjusting your shoes to get rid of the tight shin muscles. i had some shoes that didnt fit well and they gave me tight shin muscles and on long runs my toes would fall asleep.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:10 PM   #159  

Hi everyone did a walk this morning 2.5 miles. Happy with that. I think that tonight I am going to do a deep water class at our pool. Something different on the joints. I was talking to my running buddy and we are going to go for a 10 k in the morning. I know that I can to it I has been a little while but I have done it. We do 9min run and 1 min walk.
Well looks like everyone is keeping up with their great work.
Laura on bike I have been lucky that when I run outside I run with others. And if I run at home I watch some T.V. with my kids. So for me I don't usually have that problem. The few time that I have I do the same as you just keep going and think of the pay off.
Ang Keep up that great work. I know that it my seem like not very much bu 4 times a week at 3 miles you are looking at doing 12miles in a week that is alot. Keep it up and in no time you will be going longer and longer.
Tanya
2cutekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:44 AM   #160  
Persistent and Stubborn

Thanks for the encouragement Tanya. I went out for my 3 miles last night and can't wait to get in a bike ride tomorrow. At least I have noticed that the shorter (3 miles) distances are easier than when I started. Gotta find positive reinforcement in something.

Good luck Tanya with your 10k. That's my goal to be able to run a 10k in October.

LauraB - can you try to day dream/think about something while you are running (something besides your running ). Music might be an option for you. Why do you want to stop if you are physically capable of continuing?

It's Friday - Yea!
Old 08-27-2004, 08:56 PM   #161  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

I finally found The Wall this morning. It was 76*, 94% humidity, and NO BREEZE at 5:30 AM. I ran a total of 28 minutes 20/8 and walked a total of 23 minutes. I'd lie down on the floor and whine.. except... I ran. That's definitely a Get Over It for me.

My pace is picking up. I ran farther in the 20 minutes than I've run before. We're registered for a 5K September 18. I'm getting excited!

My hair is remarkably scary after running in the humidity. Frizzy City! My hair is too dry to wash it every time I run. Any ideas? Although. Scaring people at work isn't a bad idea....
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 05:10 PM   #162  
Running Babe

The humidity has been strong here, we ran fairly well last night but we cut the distance short. I plan on doing 5kms tomorrow morning.

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:05 AM   #163  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Can I join in? I've been doing the C25K program from coolrunning.com for the last couple of months and I'm now in the home stretch (W8). Looking forward to "graduating" and making my own schedule.

My last run was yesterday am, with a new pair of proper running shoes. What a difference they made! My knees are very happy with the purchase.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 06:56 PM   #164  

Hi, Only! I was doing the C25k routine as well, until I got a bit side-tracked. How much are you planning on running once you're up to the 3 miles a day, the same amount?

It's amazing how much of a difference good shoes can make. I grimace at the price but I get new ones every few months because otherwise my knees and feet kill me.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:35 PM   #165  
Persistent and Stubborn

Welcome Only Me!

I think there is humidity everywhere right now. The last two days have been brutal here but I'm not complaining because I would rather it be hot than cold.

I don't know if this is gross, but sometimes when I have to shower twice a day I only wash my hair out with water. I usually do this if I don't have anywhere else to go that day. At least it washes some of the sweat out and it makes me feel better.

I did bike yesterday for about 40 minutes. Not much but I lost the motivation half way through. I need to find a longer route so I can't give up in the middle like yesterday. I ran over 50 minutes this morning and then biked this afternoon with a friend. I was on my mtn bike and we just went slow but it was fun and still exercise. Throw in some mowing of my lawn and working on the farm and it was a full day of activities. I at pasta for dinner though and doubt I lost any weight this weekend. At least I had fun.