Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-25-2004, 10:04 AM   #1  

Unhappy Anyone else's legs ache?

My legs always ache and feel tired after exercising. It's so bad that I can't really exercise 2 days in a row. A rest day really helps but I want to work out more than I am.

Right now I'm walking and doing my elliptical machine. About 35 min. walking up and down hills or do the WATP 2 mi. tape and about 18 min. on my e.m. (not on the same day). I stretch after warming up. Any suggestions? Will this just go away eventually and how long will it take?

thanks, JoAnn
JoJo128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 10:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi JoAnn!!

I haven't ever had that problem personally and it seems a bit extreme, you may want to make a visit to your doctor to discuss this as there maybe an underlying problem. The only thing I notice in my legs after exercising is my muscles kinda twitch or "pop" for lack of better terms lol, but it is just my muscles relaxing after the exercise.

I hope your legs start feeling better!
Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:05 PM   #3  

Yes, I've had this, and yes, it does go away. It's the hill walking that really stresses the legs, hips especially. But it does do you a lot of good in the long run. (Sorry about the pun, couldn't help myself.)

You could try doing the hill walking only about twice a week, or you could incorporate some exercise that gets you off your feet, such as a bicycle, swimming, rowing machine, etc. It's important to incorporate quite different types of exercise into your program. It helps keep you from overstressing any particular muscle group, and it keeps the body "guessing" about what you might do next, which makes your progress that much faster. This principle is called "cross-training" and it really works. Good Luck.
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:49 PM   #4  

SeekInnerThinChick: I noticed you're signature and I'm living with PCOS too. I'm just starting to try to lose the extra 35 lbs and get back into shape. What has worked best for you? 55 lbs. gone is great for you! I have the same goal as you: size 10 jeans. I'm currently in size 16, barely. Do you have problems with low blood sugar? I think mine is somehow related to the PCOS.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:28 PM   #5  

Jojo: I should say right off that I didn't have a grand plan to lose, nothing like it. I just started back in 2002 with an aqua-aerobics class 3 times a week, and tried to eat a little healthier day by day. I lost 30 pounds in 2 years doing that. Then this January 1st I started a more structured approach, journaling my food, weighing every morning, and exercising more or less every day. Just the journaling helped me get a handle on the calories and portions-- before that I really didn't know how much I was taking in. It also helped me understand what worked and what didn't-- for me. I think that's the key, you have to keep experimenting until you find out what your body needs. PCOS is very individualistic, and what works for me might very well not work for you.

For example, I had never eaten breakfast before, and I found that really made hypoglycemia worse. Now I eat breakfast, and snacks if I'm at all hungry. It's not terribly convenient, sometimes, but it's better than going hypo. I think there is a sticky on hypoglycemia in the PCOS forum, BTW.

I've done this through a series of small lifestyle changes over time, rather than a commercial diet. And because I've developed my own plan, based on my lifestyle, my body, and my personality, I have "ownership of the process" as they say in management circles. I think that's the most important thing, because it's really all about lifelong management of your health as a whole, not just a number on the scale. Good Luck!
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 01:39 PM   #6  
Meg

Jo Jo -- one other thought -- do you have varicose veins? Have you ever had circulatory problems? Those things can also cause aching in your legs after exercise or even being on your feet for a long time.

I had bad varicose veins and chronic venous insufficiency (partly due to genetics and partly a lifetime of obesity). Though I've had the bad veins stripped out, I still get aching and throbbing in my legs after exercise (I was noticing how much my legs were throbbing just last night when I went to bed).

If this is a possibility in your case, you'd want to see a doctor for a treatment plan. Another helpful thing is to wear compression pantyhose when you exercise -- it reduces swelling and helps with the aching.

I could be barking up the wrong tree here -- just a thought ....
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 09:20 PM   #7  

Thanks for the suggestions Seek and Meg. No, I don't have varicose veins (thankfully) though I've been wondering about circulation problems. I think I'll just keep up the exercise and hopefully when my legs get stronger the problem will go away. If not, I'll ask my Dr. about it. I'm also going to google it.

Seek, I have been experimenting a lot lately on easing the hypo. feelings. I eat more protein and whole grains, I'm trying to cut out the junk food. I had 2 cookies today then decided after eating them, they weren't that great...I could have done without them. It's such a psychological struggle most of the time to eat well! Sticking with the exercise and doing it almost everyday will make such a difference for me physically. I've been neglecting my fitness for a long time. I'm "only" 35 lbs overwt. but soooo out of shape. I think my weight will come off slowly, but I don't care as long as I start to feel more fit and active.