Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-08-2004, 07:34 AM   #1  

Question elliptical or treadmill??

My trusty ole treadmill just croaked on me! Thank goodness I recently got a Gazelle at a yard sale so I had a back-up. But I do want to replace my treadmill and I was wondering if an elliptical might be a better idea? I would love some feedback from those who've tried either or both and which you would recommend.

Thanks!
Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:35 AM   #2  

I agree, I think the elliptical kicks the treadmill's butt! LOL I have bad knees and the motion of the elliptical is very easy on them. Plus, I think you can get a harder workout on an elliptical. In fact, the doctor at my fitness center said he thought the elliptical was the best thing to come along in calorie burning exercise.

But, I also agree that it would be a good idea to try one out for a while. It may seem a little harder and maybe a bit awkward the first few times, so give it a time or two before you decide. Even if you don't belong to a gym, most gyms will let you pay a small fee and work out on a day pass. Also, I find that different elliptical machines have different "personalities" -- be sure and play with all the adjustments and settings until you hit the combination that feels right for you.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:54 AM   #3  

how long should you be on the elliptical machine? I see people on them doing really intense workouts and I would like to join them but I fear that I would burn out. Any ideas?
Sugar Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Start out slow! Work your way up!! When I first started the elliptical I could only go 4 minutes LOL I would just go a little longer each day! I agree the elliptical gives a much better workout than the treadmill. I saw one at walmart for 188 bucks and it worked well, if you want to check it out

Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:03 PM   #5  
Mel

Default Trainers: salesman in a shirt

"Consult a licensed exercise physiologist, not just a salesman in a trainer's shirt about a program and explain your goals..."

Jack-
You must have some lousy trainers at that spiffy Bally's to have that great an attitude towards trainers. Yes, part of a trainer's job is to sell their own services, but that's true of the licensed exercise physiologist, a nutritionist, dentist, or any other person who you would pay. That doesn't mean that the trainer doesn't know anything or is not qualified to contruct any exercise and nutrition program based on a client's current condition and goals. It's what I do all day long, and I have a lot of satisfied clients who are meeting their goals. It's definitly a two way street, though. Just because a client pays me doesn't mean that he or she will achieve anything; I can only guide and provide information, and the motivation to get through the 1 hour session. An unhappy client is always the one who doesn't do what I've suggested during the other 23 hours in the day.

I'm sorry you've either had bad experiences with trainers or only seen the sales pitch side of the business.

For the rest of you on this thread, there are knowledgable, caring trainers out there who can help. Just like any other profession, there are also some who only care about collecting their pay. As a consumer, you need to interview the trainer during your initial meeting (which at most gyms should be a free session to talk) and determine if a particular trainer is right for you. Will they listen to YOUR goals? Will they provide the kind of information (nutritional, sport specific, conditioning) that you need or do they have a standard, one-size-fit-all approach?

Not too many people go into training to get rich. It just plain doesn't pay enough. From my experience, trainers do the job because they want to help people and are excited by the chance to change people's lives. If I just wanted to make money, I would have stayed in the computer field.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 02:42 PM   #6  
Meg

Default About Personal Trainers

I belong to the same Ballys as Jack (and know exactly who he's talking about, above ). There ARE some great trainers there as well as bad ones and I'm sure most gyms are the same way. Like Mel says, you have to be an informed consumer and choose wisely.

For the record, I worked with a personal trainer for the year that I lost weight. He taught me everything that I know now about nutrition and exercise. It was a true partnership and my success was as important to him as it was to me. There is NO DOUBT in my mind that I could NEVER have lost the weight without him. So the right personal trainer can be priceless.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 03:15 PM   #7  

Getting back to original post....I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer the treadmill. I have both at home (and both are good quality). I have found that I don't enjoy spending much time on the elliptical. I tend to "get into" my workouts more on the treadmill. My husband prefers the elliptical though.
Maurene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:59 PM   #8  
Mel

OK, back to the original post. I know it's not practical at home unless you have a lot of space and big bucks, but I like them both. I get really bored doing cardio on only 1 machine. Sometimes I even break up my sessions and do a "cardio circuit" of 10 minutes elliptical, then treadmill, then bike, then stairmaster if I'm feeling ambitious.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:30 PM   #9  

Thanks for all the great responses everyone! Sounds like the elliptical wins this one. I may sneak over to a local gym and see if they'll let me try one out before I make up my mind. Thanks again!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 08:15 PM   #10  

I would also recommend an elliptical trainer. If you want to run or walk, you can always go outside. I've switched from treadmill running to outdoor running and it's both more challenging and more pleasant. But as much as the treadmill bores me now, I still love the elliptical trainer for cross training.
katia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:11 AM   #11  

Chalk another one up for the ellipticals! I love mine. I got it for $400 (It's a Pro-Form). I find it more challenging and it burns a lot of calories quickly.

Good Luck,
JoAnn
JoJo128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 02:43 AM   #12  

Go with the eliptical...yea, it's hard but it works...I just started and I've lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks! If there is a Gold's Gym in your area they can give you a 1 week pass most of the time if u just wanna try things out. I don't know if you can still do it but for a while if u said you saw it on Dr Phil you got a free 2 week pass..either way, the trainers there seem pretty nice and honest

Jenn
PainterChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 07:18 AM   #13  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Default Stranded on a Desert Island... TM or Elliptical?

This was really an interesting thread to read. I don't know what I would pick. I love to run outside when it isn't too hot and I'm physically able. When I go to the gym I spend 30 minutes on the treadmill and 30 minutes on the elliptical and then reward myself with 10 minutes in the jacuzzi. I travel fairly frequently for business and have found most hotels have treadmills in their 'fitness' rooms and the better hotels have ellipticals, too, so I've seen a variety of brands of TMs and Ellipticals.

Thinking about it.... I love running on the TM because when I lose my balance I can catch myself before I fall. I use the TMs on the back row so I don't scare people. So far, none of the trainers have noticed me or approached me because I'm invisible. The Elliptical does give me a different workout and the advantage is that when my legs give out I can use my arms to continue the motion and my workout, so I'm getting a good upper body workout.

I love to people-watch at the gym. There are the socialites - in the 'right' clothes and chat for about an hour (usually right in the middle of the track or flitting from one area to another), glance at their watch, wipe their brow, and then, I think, go home. Then there are the First Timers - very tentative about the equipment, but they are Gonna Do It. I always quietly breathe the prayer "go go go" and "keep it up" for them. There are the Gym Rats. I don't think they'd come if there weren't any mirrors. There are the high school athletes, girls and boys. They should be banned. Then there are Us. I can always pick Us out. We're the ones in the clothes that don't match but we have Serious socks and shoes. We go straight the equipment - whether cardio or weights - and get down to business.

Oh. Back to the original question... I STILL don't know what I'd pick!
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote