Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-14-2004, 07:31 PM   #76  

Hi everyone. Feeling alot better. Thanks for the well wishes.

3 mile WATP this morning and 45min on the weight machines at the gym after work.
36.5 miles so far.....

Hope everyone is well!
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:42 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning Gang!

I did another 30 minute 2 mile WATP tape w/weights this morning!

that makes 26 miles for June.

next?
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:23 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning Cathy!! I'm going to cut out some of my watp cuz I'm going to try the body for life 12 week challenge! Care to join me? Anyone? I got my book at the library and it seems like a pretty neat program.

Everyone Have a great day and Keep up the great work!!

Oh by the way keep an eye out starting next week we'll be having a weekly spotlight "target area" featuring a simple workout targeting some of the spots that we all tend to have trouble with!

Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:42 AM   #79  

Hey Michelle - can you tell us a little about the Body for Life 12 week challenge or post a website to check it out?

I'm gonna keep doing the WATP, I love them, but I have started using the hand weights thru out the WHOLE workout in order to keep my heart rate up like it should be. I guess you're making progress when the workout gets easier and easier! Just wish I would make some downward progress on my scales! *sigh*
Old 06-15-2004, 11:17 AM   #80  

www.bodyforlife.com

Cathy it pushes you to your limits and although I just started the book let me see if I can kind of sum it up:

well you'll alternate days of aerobics with days of lifting.
Now the aerobics are 20 minute sessions where you will start out at your level 5 intensity and maintain it for 2 minutes then you'll go to a level 6 maintain for a minute, level seven for a minute, level 8 for a minute and level 9 for a minute then you'll go all the way back down to a 6 and work your way up again, but the 18 and 19th minute you are working to get to a level 10 intensity (for you, since everyone is different, their intensity levels will be different)

Now the weights, you'll start out your exercises at a level 5 intensity again and you'll do your set of 12 (i think) and then you'll go up to a level 6 intensity and do 10 rep then level 7 and do 8 reps and then level 8 and do 6 reps.

Thats about as far as I got in the book but I'll fill you in as I learn more

Cathy - What eating plan are you following? I know you have hypothyroid too, and I am doing South beach and it has been wonderful!! Lots and lots of good healthy food! Maybe you want to look into something a little different

Michelle
Old 06-15-2004, 11:40 AM   #81  

Michelle - thanks so much for explaining this!

My eating plan - I am counting calories (remember that I have a low thyroid) - I try to keep my calories around 1200, some days less, some days more, I don't eat bad carbs, only a few good ones, am drinking over 100 oz of water. I would say the plan I follow is very close to Sugar Busters and/or South Beach.

I did Akins a few months ago and gained 4 lbs in 6 weeks (which I am still fighting to get off) even tho I keep the carbs around 20 grams a day, it was just too many calories for me I guess. No matter what I do the calories really matter.

Year before I did Weight Watchers for 6 months. I only lost 3 lbs in those 6 months and like to have drove myself nuts. I love ww and my ww leader did everything to try to help me, but no matter what we did I could not lose weight, and at $11 a week for the meetings, I just could not keep paying to go to the meetings and decided it was just easier to count calories rather then points.

I try to follow Mary Shomon's "Thyroid Diet Success Guide" for people with low thyroid, which is basically:
2 servings of protein
3 servings of veggies (or more)
1 serving of fruit (she wants you to have 3 but I'm beginning to think that I am insulin resistant and that the sugar in the fruit is messing with me)
2 servings of good carb
1 serving good fat
1 serving low fat dairy
64+ oz water (I keep it above 100 oz)

A lot of people think I am eating too few calories, but if I eat 1400 or more I gain weight, and I find that to be the case for a lot of people with low thyroid. I have always had a hard time losing weight, but now I can't seem to lose at all. It is very discouraging but I cannot give up. If nothing else, I have to eat healthy and exercise and drink water to stay healthy. Just wish I could lose some weight along the way.

BTW, I am 5' 3 1/2", 207 lbs today, and 44 years old, so yep, I'm definitely overweight - it is not a figment of my imagination.

any ideas?

If you would like, you can see my weekly food log on the Depression Boards. I am not always perfect, but I am honest about what I eat and post it there.

thanks for talking with me Michelle!

hugs,
cathy
Old 06-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #82  

Cathy - Girl I wish you lived close to me we could work together on this as we both seem to have the same problems. The south beach has helped me so much in my eating habits and to lose some weight along the way. I have fewer sluggish feeling days too. Also I'm the same as you that if I eat more than 1200 calories a day I gain weight and often I eat about 900-1000 and stay under 30 grams of fat, I don't really worry about carbs because I eat only good carbs from fruit and veggies and whole grains, I do however limit my grains. I also drink a gallon of water a day AT LEAST (128 oz) it helps alot. You very well could be insulin resistant, have you asked your doctor to check you for it? Another thing I'm going to mention, but keep in mind its a very personal decision, some people are very against it, but have you looked into weight loss meds? As you may know I'm on Meridia and it helps give me that little extra boost that I need. As with any medicine I suggest you talk to your doctor first It is expensive but some insurance companies will cover it. You also already know, that us people with metabolic resistance definately need to keep exercising to boost our metabolism! You may want to look into going to a sports consignment shop and seeing if you can get a good deal on a decent home weight system I bet you will see some changes really quick

Cathy you know that anytime you need to talk I'm here for you! And don't put yourself down hun, none of us are perfect, but you know what? At least you are working on it and I applaud you for that! Keep up the good work! I'm here for you!
Michelle
Old 06-15-2004, 02:21 PM   #83  

Michelle, again thanks for talking to me about this jazz!

I am not against diet pills at all. Good or bad, I have been on and off of them for years. Having low thyroid I find they help speed up my metabolism a little, give me the extra energy I need to get thru the day, and help me eat as few calories as possible. I have never tried Meridia bec of the expense - we have no insurance - but I usually take Phentermine. I also took those last year for 6 months and lost nothing while taking them (ain't I the strangest thing you have ever head of) so I just could not see continueing the expense without any weightloss. I am proud to say that I have not taken any diet pills since before Christmas tho, so I have been off of them a long time. Believe me it constantly stays in the back of my mind that I would probably "do better" on diet pills, but I just figure by this age, I probably need to try to do this without them.

I know that a lot of people with low thyroid take them for the same reasons - to increase their metabolism, eat few calories and increase their energy.

I see my doc again in July so I will take to him at that time about insulin resistance, etc.

I will continue to press on!

thanks again,
cathy
Old 06-15-2004, 07:50 PM   #84  

Cathy and Michelle - it's great to see such wonderful support on this thread. Drinking over 100 oz. of water is great - i thought i was doing ok with my minimum of 64 oz. a day. lol I am loving my Leslie Pilates video. I did 2 miles this morning and added the 15 minute pilates challenge at the end. I really need to get these "thunder thighs" in shape. lol I would like to start bumping up my workout to at least 3 miles and the 15 min. pilates workout. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good arm exercise?? Hope you all have a great night!!

Julie
jules02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:00 PM   #85  

4 mi. today.

18 mi. for the month. At this rate I'll never make my goal this month.

I was losing weight just about every week then hit a plateau and have only been able to lose maybe 5 lbs. since then. I wonder if I need to find a new exercise program -- add something to the walking and biking that I do. On the watp tapes, Leslie says that the body can get too efficient and no longer burn calories. I think that's my problem -- or at least it was before I got discouraged and started eating stuff I shouldn't be.

Cathy -- I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and put on Metformin and it has really helped me to have more energy and it's acted as an appetite suppressant. It may help you if you have insulin resistance --- just a thought.

Have a goodnight all! Vickie
mrs.beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:22 PM   #86  

You girls are all so great!!

Jules - I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your pilates videos. I picked up a video at the library called fat burning workout for dummies! I am ordering my cross bow on friday so I'm going to try the fat burning workout for a little bit.

Vickie - Yep that is exactly why I am switching my workout routine around I read that you really should vary your workouts and switch it up every 6 weeks. So I'm going to try the high intensity aerobics along with resistance bands and dumb bells while waiting for my crossbow to arrive!

Cathy - Hang in there girl!! I know that us people who are metabolically challenged have such a hard time with the weight thing but you are already getting healthier just by doing the walk aerobics!! Keep it up girly you could have just stalled out

Keep it up guys!!
Michelle
Old 06-15-2004, 11:52 PM   #87  

Hi all.

This morning 3ml WATP video. months total 39.5 Nothing this afternoon though. Just didn't have the energy. The high humidity is zapping me.

Good luck tomorrow.
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:01 AM   #88  

Good Morning Gang!

I did another 30 minute 2 mile WATP tape w/weights this morning!
I used 3 lb weights thru the whole workout, start to finish, to bump up my heart rate.

that makes 28 miles for June.

next?
Old 06-16-2004, 09:18 AM   #89  

Woohoo keep it up Cathy!! You are such an inspiration!!

Michelle
Old 06-16-2004, 02:24 PM   #90  

I was in a rush this morning so I did 1 mile and the 15 min. pilates challenge. Keep up the great work ladies!!

Julie
jules02 is offline   Reply With Quote