Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-23-2004, 12:44 AM   #61  

Default success at last

hello hello,

just a quick post it's late.
down to 171.5 so i lost last week yeah!!!
had a great work out today. arms, chest back, abs, elliptical, lots of sweat.
i think i'm giving up on my fitday it doesn't seem to be workingright. always go back to june 12th for some reason, started the dietpower i'll see if i can buy it.

good to hear from you summer. sounds like you're keeping up the good work despite hectic schedule.

gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:53 AM   #62  

Default thursday holiday woohoo

happy thursday!!

yesterday i went to the y again! that's 3 days! i'm giving sarah a run for her money.
wed:
weights: legs (i added hamstring curls oof), abs and lower back
treadmill: walk/jog upped my jogging speed to 5.5 for 30 mins, sweat sweat sweat

i started using the dietpower and put in a bunch of quick foods then it started crashing on me and i couldn't add any food or exercise. arrrg. so i reinstalled it sevearl times, downloaded some programmes to clean up my comp. and lost everything arrg aaarg. now it's working fine but i hope it doesn't crash again or i'll have to start logging using dietpower as an exercise! the help says it does this on 1% of computers, what luck! my mom always said i was special (actually i don't think she ever said that but it sounds good?)

i hope summer and husband and fenway are well, and sarah and lorraine and the menagerie are well too.
did i ever mention that i have two cats? i do indeed. one is about 18yrs has arthritis and some bowel problems which i wont go into for your sakes. he's costing me alot of money which i don't have but i've had him sooo long what can i do? my sister says "you know gen he's old and he's going to die one day" yes i know he's so cuddly and wants to be with me all the time the other is about four, i've had her since she was a kitten. a surprise gift from a boyfriend at 3am who found her at work. she thinks bringing home mice and birds (dead and alive) is endearing but she's wrong !

keep up the good work
gen
Old 06-24-2004, 06:46 PM   #63  

Talking So close but....

I am so sorry I just lost a post!

So I start again....Hi Ladies!

I hope this finds you all well and happy and gearing up toward healthy!

Gen how are you? Way to go on being at Y 3 days in a row and it sounds like some great workouts! I am sorry to hear about the computer issues you are having those are the most frustrating anger inducing things! Sometimes a pen and paper ain't so bad. I digress....What are your cats names? I used have one named lefty and he liked to bring home all sorts of presnets for my sister and I...Dogs are more my speed in all honesty. Fenway is great I just wish he wouldn't drool so damn much - crazy!

Saraaaahhhh Wherreee Arrreee Yoooouuuu??????? I hope you are not stuck in traffic! I hope the craziness called woorks gets to be a little more calm. I hope your workouts are exactly what you need. How are Lorraine and Louie? I go to Baltimore for work from time to time. I will have to let you know when that may be.

I am going to Mississippiu in July I have curly hair that will make me look like little orphan annie with breasts by the time I hit the tarmac

I have logged 275 minutes of exercise so far. I found an internval video tape I had and forgot I had and that makes me sooo sweaty and stinky - I love it - Fenway on the other hand does not...

My brother is graduating from High School on Saturday! NYS does it late - what can you do So there are graduation parties and family and friends coming. My sister is coming into town I love when that happens! I am karaoke-ing for the first time tomorrow - wish me luck

Have an enchanted evening!

Quote:
You cannot shake hands with a clendhed fist - Indira Gandhi

be well.

Summer
GEMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:48 PM   #64  

Default hello all

hey summer,

good to hear from you.
my old cat is gatsby. he used to be fat so it was appropriate. he has the demeanor for it too. the other is daisy, because my neice named her flower, and daisy is a flower and daisy was the great gatsby's love. see how it all works out? i love dogs too but i can't take care of one, walking and walking and then walking again!!! (good excuse to go for a jog though) if i lived in the country and could let it run around i would love to have dogs. i like big dogs, the bigger the better.

since today was a day off work it's a day off exercise too. not a very good philosophy i think.
friday:
yoga, for sure we are going this week, my brother just confirmed it (that his wife is going, my brother at yoga? )

the diet power is working so far
it's giving me very low calories for a two lb a week weight loss (around 1100cals) but i think that will change as i use it for a few more days and log more exercise. also since i don't weigh-in everyday it thinks i'm not losing any weight. so maybe i will get to eat more when i show some weight loss. if not i will change my goal because that's far to few calories. what's been your experience with that?
i like that i can put in the calories and miles and time from the cardio machines at the gym. not that i think they are more acurate but just for consistency's sake. i'm going to have to buy it soon (i downloaded a while ago but didn't really use it) and am trying to convince myself that it is worth the price (of course i have pay canadian and the exchange rate is )

where exactly do you live, summer, in the northeast? i'm a little more north than you

maybe sarah's in road rage jail? or maybe she's just enjoying the outdoors instead of the computer.

good evening all
gen
Old 06-24-2004, 08:40 PM   #65  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Red face

Hey you guys -- I'm back and hardly know where to begin to check in with you! Sounds like you're both doing just great, exercise-wise, and I'm really glad to hear that!

Gen, the Y three times?!?!?! You beast, you! Go you! -- you're on fire! I am so sorry to hear about Diet Power and your computer! Yikes! What's going to happen now? Gosh, that really sucks.... there's got to be some solution. It seems that you've found their online tech support message board -- the software developers frequent it, so if you don't get the help you need, post a thread asking them directly for help. They seem pretty responsive. Keep me posted -- I'll be worried about it until I hear that it's been rectified. You poor sweetie pie. As for your kitties.......you have won my respect and affection forever with your ongoing care of your little incontinent cat. Awwww....the poor baby. 18 years old! What a gift! I can't even imagine what we're going to have to deal with all 8....amazing.

Summer, I always was a dog person too -- till I got scammed into getting my first cat, Simone. After learning so much from that cat -- and after being sick with allergies for a full year -- and after gaining an inkling of what it's like to love a child like a parent does.......I came to love the kitties! Simone is my heart, and I can't even bear to think about what it will be like to lose him. I pray for 18 years, I really do.

Hey, someone asked names -- here are the names in my house: Simone (first, of course -- I'm the one making the list, not Lorraine,) her original kitties (sisters) Bashful and Tiny, our fourth and fifth Gracie and Boo (rescues that we got when we went to the store for litter,) then another rescue Bughead (don't ask...it's not a pretty story -- and she is indeed bugged in the head,) Piccina (yet another rescue and a completely fearless terror she is.) So those are the 7 cats; Louie is our Italian Greyhound rescue -- Louis Marie when he's in trouble, and Monkey Face when we're making out. Woopsie! -- did I say that out loud?

Now I'll say what I've been dreading telling you: I haven't worked out since Tuesday! I like to sleep in the morning, and I've been getting home at 8 after 12-hour workdays, and apparently I don't like to work out then either. Tomorrow morning it's not going to happen either, since it's an earlier than usual morning. I'm not going to beat myself up, I'm just going to put this week behind me. (Once I get through it, that is!) Tomorrow I conduct two orientations for a total of 60, and I've got 4 phone interviews and two offer negotiations scheduled. Next week I just have another hellish commute day to do another orientation, and then it will all be over! Woo wee!! So once I get through tomorrow, my schedule will almost resume normalcy, completely doing so after Tuesday. Eats are on track -- calories a bit low at an average of 1300.....but with the reduced workouts, I guess it's ok. It's short term, anyway.

Someone say something nice, now, ok? I'm feeling awful and ashamed of myself. I know it's only two days, but it represents at least 3 missed workouts, and I'm feeling pretty badly about it.

You guys are doing just great, and I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!!!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:34 PM   #66  

Default dear sarah

now sarah, listen here,
stop beating yourself up, now!
you've lost 40lbs in 3.5 months!!! wow!
you're only 5 lbs away from your next goal!!!
you've been very very busy with things that are not in your control.
you're an amazing person with a lot of perserverance.
this crazy time will pass and you will work out again, i can hear your lonely cross-bow calling your name.
it's just a little break, no worries. it's only a few days!!!
you know next week you will be back working out because you are soooo committed and anyways summer and i wouldn't let you get off track.
try to relax, go for a walk, a snuggle, and sleep sleep sleep. it's good for you. (i should know after all i am the nap champion )
and you're eating well. there you go.
so all in all i say you are going to be fine, in fact you still are a in my books

gen

Old 06-25-2004, 10:52 AM   #67  

Wink Now Now

Sarah

Don't make me stand here with my hands on the hips and wag my finger at you! Gen is absolutely right - no need to beat yourself up - you have been amazing thus far and you are keeping your calories in check so good for you! You are giving 100% of what you can - and that is success right there!

Sometimes life makes it impossible! You have made amazing progress.
I'll drink to that! So chin up girlie!

You are amazing - keep it up!

Quote:
People call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute. - Rebecca West

be well.

Summer
Old 06-25-2004, 09:21 PM   #68  
I climb mountains!

Default You guys are the best!

Thank you so much for your support and kindness -- you guys are really just so warm and supportive and, well, just plain fabulous!

Well, I survived my day....two huge orientations, two interviews, a job offer negotiations, and some haggling with external recruiters. Great God in Heaven it is good to be home. I feel exhausted, spent, and strangely itchy. And I've found a lump -- a large lump, like the size of a grape -- in the side of my neck. Fabulous. I don't know what the **** it is. I've never had one before, so I'm of course a wee bit concerned. I found it two days ago, but haven't had time to get it checked out or really think about it much. I just keep poking it and moving it from side to side. Blech. So I was thinking this weekend I'd go to one of those drop-in clinics to get it checked out, or get a referral or something. A coworker said it might be a sebatious cyst, which sounds simply lovely......again, never had one of those. I'll keep you posted.

Tomorrow morning it's back on the bike....I'm still figuring out if I'll do weights tomorrow or Sunday, but I'm planning on four sessions of something! (Over the course of the weekend I'll do three cardio and one weights....the weights being one of my full body routines.)

Hey, speaking of weights: Gen, your thread at LWL regarding squats was great! I'm so glad you asked the question, because it yielded some good responses. I, too, really feel the most impact in my quads, with the hamstrings and glutes secondary. From what I've heard, though, that's normal. In fact, that's one of the reasons they're so beneficial to overall body fat percentages and weight loss: the quads are such large muscles, you can really impact the above two by working them consistently and hard. An added benefit is their impact on the backs of the legs and bootie, but lunges are supposed to be just the best if you're really focusing on the caboose.

How are you guys doing??? I really lucked out with you two, and I consider each of you just a blessing. And Summer, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your current quote by Rebecca West! I LOVE IT! (It made me think even more of you than I already did!)

Take care, goyls....big hugs for you both. Oh! and I'm down another pound.....I'm hoping I can pull off another one by Monday so that I can maintain my 2 pounds/week average.....
Old 06-27-2004, 03:25 PM   #69  

Default what a wonderful saturday!

hi,

first i want to say that i think you two are wonderful and i think our little support group is wonderful.

this is not an update or progress report. i had such good day yesterday that i just wanted to share it with you.
i went to an all day outdoor concert yesterday. the weather people called for some rain but it was suny all day if a little cold for this time of year around 20celsius. and since we were a little north and up in the mountains (hills really for anyone whose been out west) it got chilly when the sun went away. i went last year and it's sooo much fun. there were about six different bands from different regions of the country so we got to see bands that we don't really hear about here in la belle province. and then to top it off the grand finale by blue rodeo. which is GREAT!!!! I don't know what kind of music you like (i tend to r&b kinda of stuff myself) but they are, as the name suggests, kinda of a cross between blues and country. and the lead singer is ooooooh ahhhhh. everyone sits on the lawn during the day for the other bands and then we all pack up our things and head for the front of the stage for the last act and it's a real dancing fun time.
i don't think they are well known in the states but they are very popular here.
this year however the bar, where it's held, up in the laurentians, didn't let us bring any food or even WATER!!! onto the grounds. they wanted us to buy their 3.00$ water. so we had our pic-nic on the grass outside where we could still hear the music (only missed seeing the first act). i still went over my cals but at least i wasn't forced to eat pizza and junk all day. (ok i did share a hot dog, i love hot dogs i really do)
anyways i had such a good time. i wish i did more fun stuff like that though. i realized last night that i haven't finished my march perscription for anti-depressants, my doctor told me to cut down on my own, and don't feel like i really i need them right now. is this for good??? i 'm sure the improved diet and exercise are a big part of it!
so i just wanted to share a slice of life that wasn't diet or exercise or weight loss related.
then again tomorrow is weigh-in day and since friday (dinner at my brothers) and yesterday were high cal i'm being extra careful today.
if i've lost 1.5lbs then i can schedule a pedicure for this week!!!
oh and i got another gift certificate for the same salon so i'll add that to my 10lb reward plan.

i hope you ladies had a good, great or wonderful weekend. sarah i can see the end of the work tunnel, only two more days

gen
Old 06-28-2004, 01:27 PM   #70  
I climb mountains!

Smile

Hello, dahlings!

Gen that sounds like a great time! I think I HAVE heard of Blue Rodeo, although I'm not sure if I'd identify them by sound. I listen to a fabulous college radio station that plays all kinds of alternative, new, indie and also just lesser-known in the US stuff, and I think I might have heard a song and then heard them recommended. Anyway, sounds like you had a fabulous time, and I'm so glad to hear that -- you deserve it, sweetie. And HEY NOW, what's that good news I hear about the med's??? Good news abounds in our little support trio!

Well, I have good news, and I have bad news.....I'll give the good news first: I've lost another 2 pounds, for a total of 42 YTD. The BAD news, is that I was seduced into relative relaxation outside of the house on Saturday, and so didn't get in the 4 sessions I'd planned.....just two. (That Lorraine can be very convincing when she wants to. ) Saturday we drove around PA for the better day, getting out to walk a bit here and there in some particularly pretty parts, but really the overriding purpose was to shop 5 units (locations) of a company with whom she's considering a position as District Manager. Great experiences, by and large, and we had just a great day together.

Then on Sunday, we got up early and I did my HIIT biking till I thought my bike was going to take off into my garden, and then we went to the nursery and bought some good soil and some fun watering stuff and then came back home and gardened for several hours. (Puncuated by my return to the bike to do another half hour on the bike.) Our garden looks great, and we planted some stuff that we'd been meaning to, and we had a really nice day together. The very SAD thing about our garden is that just last week the guy who mows our tiny little lawn at the front of the house mowed our fenced-in back yard, and, after Lorraine kept him from pulling some smaller plants out by the roots (I guess he thought they were weeds... ) she made a point of telling him that all the little plants between our flagstone stepping stones were expensive and that we spent a lot of time planting them, etc. Well he took the weed-wacker to them and leveled them to the ground. Soil. No plants. I cried and am still soooooo upset. We have really poor soil quality, so the addition of great soil and all the plants was at least $500, and then there was all the work......it took us two days to get them all arranged and planted. And it was beautiful. We'd been nursing them along for a little over a month now, and they were really thriving. They're perrenials, so there's an off chance they'll survive...but it's a pretty big shock so we're not counting on it. And no nurseries are carrying any of those plants now, so we'll just wait until next spring to see if they rebound, and then replant them as necessary next May. Does that suck or what? He said he's sorry, he didn't know.....she TOLD him, but apparently he just wasn't listening or it didn't register....I just truly don't know what could possess a person to do that. Ok, I'm going to stop going off about it.....it's just so disappointing and it's still very upsetting to go out there and see them all gone. I'm making it my mission to try to nurse them back to life and good health....and poor Lorraine feels just awful. She kept saying, "I'll fix it. I'll fix it." But we just don't have that money to spend again right now -- even if we COULD find the plants, and then there's the time to put them all back in......there were hundreds of them. Woops! There I go again, going off about it all over again. I really am going to shut up about it now.

I didn't go the doctor about the lump yet....I'm going to go this week. And tonight I won't be able to work out, but I will tomorrow.

Summer, hope you're doing well -- big warm fuzzies to both of you --
Old 06-28-2004, 07:53 PM   #71  

Wink

Hey Ladies!

Sorry I have not posted - I have been overdosing on family stuff - The older of my two brothers graduated from High School on Saturday. So on Friday, with my sister in town too , We went out to dinner and I proceeded to get food poisoning from it so it cancelled all plans I had for later that night. The next day was the graduation ceremony and reception then on Sunday a HUGE graduation party for my brother and somewhere between the party and Satrday night I caught my husbands cold ...figures...but I have still been exercising because I am insane! Fenway had fun at the party because he got so much attention - he did the but dance (I call it the Beyonce) on anyone who would bet him for awhile...

Sarah if this gives you any hope - I have hacked the **** out of some of my perennials and they have returned and actually multiplied. dunno how that happened but they are nice to boot. I am trying to ressurrect my garden - I have an old English garden - so plants and flowers for every season- but the lady who we bought the house from left the garden in neglect as she was starting to get ill. I get alot of help because it is so far from being a strong suit of mine. for another 2 pounds! way to go! why be nit picky? You have done alot so far - it is a nice treat to spend time with Lorraine - so good for you! bad news...my ***! I am glad you had a nice weekend in PA. There are some beautiful parts there.

Gen congrats on less meds! Indeed I like the sound of that! I think diet and exercise has a huge effect on metal health so keep it up! I like Blue Rodeo. Music Festival with friends - That sounds like a fun weekend. As for my tastes in music - I am the queen of the obscure because I love so many things from Opera to Punk. here is an example of mix Cd I made myself: Thelonious Monk - Chicagoland blues, Mississippi Biker Boys - Delta Sound, Amazing - George Michael, Gentleman - Mae Moore, Dead Man Walking - David Bowie, Hurt - Johnny Cash, Hurt - Nine Inch Nails, 6 Underground - Sneaker Pimps, TO the Teeth - Ani Difranco, Here's to tonight - Eve 6, Snow on the Sahara - ANngun, Habibti - Ahmed Quadil, Whole lotta love - Led Zepplin, Crunk -OutKast, Portraits - Miles Davis, Love of my life - Erika Badu - but I am a huge CD whore -550 last counted. kinda crazy You are right - I am north but as far north as you I am in Buffalo, NY.

Okay here is the week:

Sundayennis - 40 minutes
Monday: Interval training - 40 minutes
Tuesday: Walk Fenway - 30 minutes, Yoga - 90 minutes
Wednesday: Walk Fenway - 30 minutes, Interval Training - 40 minutes
Thursday - Walk Fenway -30 minutes, Tennis - 60
Friday - Walk Fenway 30 minutes, Garden - 60
Saturday - Walk Fenway and Garden

I am down a pound! 149!

July 5-8 I will be on vacation! I do not know if there will be internet access but I will try. I am looking forward to it at this point!

I hope all are happy and healthy!

Quotes:
Lead me not into temptation; I can find the way myself. -Rita Mae Brown

He who laughs last didn't get it. - Helen Giangregorio

be well.

Summer
Old 06-29-2004, 07:13 PM   #72  

Red face

hello hello,

so sorry about the food poisining summer. it really is awful. always remember: don't eat the potao salad! but it sounded like a fun weekend despite the....well you know. congrats on your brother's grad now all he has left is college, master's, phd, postdoc...oh no sorry how did my dad get in here?

and sounds like you had a good weekend too sarah. despite the plant incident. what's up with that??? just wait and see if they grow back...that's the beauty of perrenials.

my leg hurts: that's why i didn't go to the gym today. yesterday i ran on the outdoor track instead of the treadmill. it's waaaaaaaaaaay harder. but my feet didn't hurt so much and i didn't get a cramp. so i developed a bump on the top of my right foot and have weird pains in my leg. i think the bump is pressing on a nerve. it just popped up one day couple of weeks ago but it's going away. why is my body soooooo weird??? sabotage!!!!

tomorow:
leg routine
abs, lower back, waist
cardio: 30 minutes elliptical hill program level 1
stretch

congrats on the 149 summer!!!

news you will like: i bought the diet power today.

interresting note: i'm not doing the low carb thing but usually i have a pretty high protein, moderate carb lunch. and even when i give the kids their afternoon snack i don't feel hungry and have stopped the diet cokes. today, however, i had 1.5 cups of spaghetti with tomato and meat sauce. less than two hours later i was hungry again and had saltines with cream cheese and then i wanted a diet coke (my mom's addicted so there are cases around). moral: no more high carb meals at lunch.

i could go on for hours so i wont
have a good evening
gen
Old 07-01-2004, 09:48 PM   #73  
I climb mountains!

Hey you guys, just wanted to stop in for a quick heads-up that I won't have online access for a few days. Lorraine, Louie and I are headed to a cabin in the hills of West Virginia for a few days.......I'm sooooo excited! It's been a couple of years since we've gone away together, even for a weekend -- apart from absolutely hellish visits to her family. I'm not counting those. I'll tell you guys all about it when I get back next week. I'll miss you guys and think of you when I'm hiking some beautiful trails!
Old 07-03-2004, 05:58 PM   #74  

Default where is summer???

hi,

well sarah is away having a great time but where is summer? i hope you are doing well and having fun.
i posted on friday but it's not here hmmm...
well here is what i've been doing
friday:
yoga...feels soooo good
saturday:
swimming: 20 mins...oh boy that was not easy. changing up the routine sure let's me know how out of shape i am.
walk/jog outside 20mins=2.5km
and no pain!!! i'm so happy
i was starting to think that i may not be able to jog for the leg and foot pain...hopefully it is going away.
my dad called today to let me know that the bike is ready so now i'll be able to bike to from work everyday and go for bike rides on the week ends.
now all i need to do is wash my socks

hope to hear from you soon summer and find out how things are going
gen
Old 07-03-2004, 08:03 PM   #75  

Wink Hey

Hi there!

Sorry I have been MIA - my work included four fourteen hour days so after that I did not want to see a computer.

Sarah I hope W. VA is a blast! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Gen (is that short for Genevieve? just curious) glad to hear about no pain when you run! Yeah! That is great news. I am glad to hear that you are liking yoga as well and swimming - what a fun change in the routine. Bike to work - that also sounds like it could be fun. How was your Canada Day? Blue Rodeo was here giving a free outdoor concert Thursday

I have logged 305 minutes of exercise this past week. I made sure to get alot in before work - thankfully! My DH and I are going on vacation to a lake resort this week (Mon -Thurs) so I do not know if I will be able to get on-line but I will try! There is lots of tennis, canoeing, yoga and hiking planned so I am looking forward to it...so forward...

Have a great week! I will try to get on here during the week - I just don't know what kind of access I will have. Keep up the good work Gen!

Quote:
Be sure to put your feet in the right place then stand firm - Abe Lincoln

be well.

Summer