Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-08-2004, 03:32 PM   #1  

Default Posture

Well, it's not exactly exercise, but I didn't know where else to put it... Anyway, I had my DH take some pictures of me in a new "experimental" outfit, and I really noticed how hunched over I looked. In fact, even though I've lost a lot of weight, and I work out a lot, I still stand and walk as if I were much heavier-- I guess it's a habit. Is there something I can do about my posture, other than mincing around with a book on my head? What's the latest on this?
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 06:32 PM   #2  
Meg

Seek -- great question! Posture affects how we present ourselves to the world and I've heard that good posture can take ten pounds off one's appearance. And since we'd all like to effortlessly lose ten pounds ...

I try to imagine a book on my head when I walk on the track (but try not to mince). I found several web sites that look like they might have some good ideas/exercises:

http://www.bodyzone.com/custom/posture_exercise.html

http://www.creatinghealth.psu.edu/osteo/women_ex.html

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/healt...asp?index=4485

Please come back and share your experiences.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 07:35 PM   #3  

I agree that posture is really important. I used to work w/ someone who was significantly overweight, but she always looked good, not obese, and I think it was her great posture. I commented on it once, and she said it was something that her mother had always emphasized.

Anyway, I have heard that pilates really helps to improve your posture.
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 02:10 PM   #4  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Try pilates and/or yoga or any one of the hybrid classes - yogalates or Piyo! Or a core stability class if you don't fancy the yoga pilates thing!

The postural messges you should get from the instructors will help you realign your body everywhere and everywhen!

Good luck trying out the different types of class...
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:36 AM   #5  

Here's what you can do if you already exercise and have a strong back. Take some surgical (medical) tape, stand up straight with good posture and have someone run a strip of tape down your spine on your bare skin. This will produce a tugging sensation whenever you begin to slouch.

I have never tried this, but saw it in a magazine somewhere years ago and it stuck in my mind because I slouch also. I am exercising now and my back is stronger, so I may try this in the fall (I think my skin is too damp and oily in the summer for the tape to last ).

Good luck!
MojoJodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:25 PM   #6  

Whoa, that's kinky... gotta get the DH and try that one... especially stripping the tape off..
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote