Anyone tried Pilates???

• Hi I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried the pilates???? Looking to get feedback on it. I started on Saturday and I am so sore today. Just wondering if anyone has any info.
    Dutchy
  • I have been doing pilates for over a year, and started buckling down about 5-6 weeks ago. I do pilates 4-5 times a week and without really changing my diet, have lost 7 pounds.

You have to keep at it, use your muscles correctly, and breathe smoothly.

Good luck!
    Kitty
  • I've seen some descriptions of Pilates-like floor exercises, they look like abdominal and back work to me. But I've also read about some sort of specialized machinery that some Pilates classes use. Can you describe that? Also, why are there so many different versions of Pilates? Is there "official" and "unofficial" Pilates? TIA!
  • Thanks
    Good Morning!!! Thank you for the feedback on the Pilates. I am trying to buckle down again with doing this again. I lost 12lbs doing it here about 8 months ago or so. I am just trying to do it in the morning when my husband is gone to work and my daughter is sleeping. So far these last two days have not worked out right. I am currently at 172 so hopefully by July 4 my goal is to be down to at least 155lbs. Thank you again for the feedback. Have a great Tuesday.
    Dutchy
  • SITC - There are different versions of Pilates and there are different types of exercises, some which involve mat-work (what people most commonly associate with Pilates), there is a machine that help you perfect your moves, there are also some standing series.

As for versions, there are really only 2 that are considered reputable:

Guild certified (This group adheres very closely to the teachings of Joseph Pilates)

Stott (more modified, but still good)

Having done lots of research on this, and not being able to afford to go to a certified studio, here are my recommendations:

The Pilates Body by Brooke Siler - This is an excellent book that explains the philosophy and inner workings of pilates that you won't get from a video. Brooke is Guild certified and was trained by the protege of Joseph Pilates. I recommend getting familiar with this.

Windsor Pilates - Really good! Mari Windsor is Guild certified and for beginners, having a video so you can see what is going on is very helpful.

The Pilates Body Kit - Again, this is put out by Brooke Siler. The kit contains CD's, flash cards, an intro booklet, and a progress chart. This is probably my favorite, because it's audio only so I don't throw myself out of position trying to watch the tv. Also, she has real mat workouts on there (aka, no breaks for explainations) so it's more of a challenge.

Good luck!
  • Thanks, StarPrincess! So what makes Pilates so fashionable? What does it do for you exactly? Is it better than crunches, and why? And why would the studio version be expensive-- maybe because of the machines?
  • Pilates focuses on your "core" muscles, that's your abs, lower back, and butt. The basic premise is that if those muscles are strong, you'll be moving and supported in a way that will make the rest of you look good, too.

For me, I've noticed a huge increase in my core strength as well as longer, leaner looking muscles in my legs and arms. It's great!

I think Pilates is so popular for many reasons.
    * It's a different mindset. Yes, you work, but you should never hurt.
    * It's also adaptable so everyone can do it, even if you've had a neck or back injury.
    * There's a good range of difficulty, so you don't get bored with it
    * Once you master the moves, the actual workout is pretty short with the same degree of results
    * It doesn't require any special equipment
    * You can do it anywhere

The machines are great, but they just make it easier to learn the moves because they support your body in a certain way. Real classes in qualified studios cost alot for several reasons. There is a large amount of training required to be a Guild or Stott certified instructor. The equipment is expensive. And the occasional private lesson will help you get much more out of your own workouts.
  • I've done pilates....a little while back...I took a class from somone who was certified and developed a class based off of joseph pilate. Pilates, from what i was taught does focus on the core muscles and also helps to elongate the muscles....some people may actaully grow up to a few inches in height. If done right...pilates will make you pretty sore the next day...even if done wrong lol its still hard to do....it takes a LOT of work and practice to get the moves down right. Using the cable machines is a lot easier than the floor exercise but they help perfect your movements. I recently bought a tape called pilates plus that focuses on a pilates secition ballet section and yoga section....the only thing that i have really felt sore frmo the next day is the ballet section. ITs KILLER but GREAT for your legs...i now have a new found respect for dancers. Hope this was helpful

Michelle
  • The only thing I'd disagree with there is on the soreness. You may be a little sore after the first few workouts, but if your doing it right, your strength builds rather quickly.

If you're sore, you've pushed it too hard and done some muscle damage. We don't want that!
  • I think pilates is fashionable because it is a whole different mindset than other calistentic type exercise. It is more like power yoga, focusing on breath and controlled movement, and not so much on repetition. Many of the moves require flexibility and strength to do properly.
  • My very first pilates class was this morning, and boy do I feel it now.

It was really good for me- I had knee surgery last year and was in a wheelchair for the latter part of the year, so I lost a ton of flexibility. Just one hour and I already feel a little more stretchy.

Nothing in the class was "too hard" and the instructor was very helpful to me about my knees. I can't put any weight on either of my knees straight on the ground- I was amazed at how much I was still able to do.

I'm really looking forward to the next class- I don't think I've ever looked forward to working out before.
  • Hi Star Princness

You seem very knowledgable on Pilates. How did you learn? Was it just by reading the book that you recomended (Pilates Body) or were you able to find stuff on the internet?

I have been looking for a web site and message board that was just geared to pilates but I can't seem to find one.

Thanks
    Diane
  • Hello everyone. I have been doing pilates for about a year....using both the pilates machine and mat forms. The machine workout uses resistance bands to help build muscle more quickly. But the mat workouts work well too......and you can always add the resitance bands to these workouts to help build muscle. These workouts are great for building long lean muscles but won't necessarily help you drop weight....if that is your goal. For weight loss it is recommended to supplement the pilates with walking 2-3 miles or doing additional workouts. I do at least some pilates exercises everyday while watching tv to keep my core in good shape. And it really doesn't take much time at all to a series of exercises.

Best of luck.
  • I have an Aeropilates machine and love it. I got mine on QVC, it has workout DVD's. You can go to utube and watch also to get an idea. I also have a couple of books for floor pilates. I like the machine because I bought the platform, because getting on and off the floor can be a challenge. I am 9 weeks out from knee surgery and before that, 5 months ago rotator cuff surgery. I like that the machine can be up a little higher for those times in life that getting off the floor is challenging. lol