Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-23-2004, 03:40 PM   #1  

Question cardio or weights?

When exercising....is cardio more important than weights or is weight lifting more important than cardio? OR are they both equally important? What I've been doing lately is almost all cardio, because I dont want to bulk up in muscle anymore. I work out 4-5 times a week (USUALLY)...so how should I do this..3 days cardio, 2 days weights.....vice-versa....etc?
shell83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 05:39 PM   #2  

Both cardio and weights are important. I don't know how much time you have to work out, but I usually do both cardio and weights 5 times a week, splitting up my strength training workouts to do only the upper body or lower body each day. It takes less time for me and I don't worry about working the same muscles two days in a row.

Lifting weights does not necessarily make you bulk up in muscle, the more consistent I am about lifting, the more compact I see my body becoming. A pound of muscle takes up less room than a pound of fat, so by combining the cardio and weights you can get a tighter, fitter body and a healthy heart.
katia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:22 PM   #3  

They are both important, even if you do have a tendency to bulk up a bit-- I know I do. But weight lifting can be used to firm the muscle only, which helps keep the skin tighter as you lose, and keeps you from jiggling as much. More muscle also helps get your resting metabolic rate up, which burns calories. Try lifting lighter weights, for more repetitions, and fewer sets. Don't max out in areas you don't want to get any bigger.

Cardio is mandatory for heart health, hence the name. It increases your lung power and endurance, so everyday life is easier and less stressful. It also strips fat fast, which makes bulking up less of an issue. In my experience, I look bulkier when I build muscle faster than I lose fat, so the total mass is greater than it was before. If I do cardio and weights, I can keep the whole process moving toward my goal: firm AND sleek, trim AND taut.

If I were pressed for time in my workout, I'd have a trainer design a cardio and circuit weight training plan for me, say 30 - 45 minutes cardio 3 times a week, and a weight circuit 2 - 3 times a week. You might want to consult with a trainer in your gym for an opinion. Good Luck.
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:43 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

SITC: i ALWAYS learn something from your posts!!!!

shell: i've learned the hard way that a person needs both. the good muscle from weight lifting helps you do the cardio [you don't tire as fast and your joints don't get sore] and the cardio helps you burn the fat.

unlike SITC, i don't bulk up, but frankly, i really wouldn't care if i did. i'm moving so much more comfortably in this new body with the new muscle. i feel strong. i like it.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote