Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-26-2004, 10:46 AM   #1  

Default Maybe you can help???

I work out at Curve 5x's a week and lift 3x's also walk in the evenings. Well here is my problem I keep loosing pounds and have muscle tone but clothes that used to fit me at this weight are snug What is going on the lady at curves thought I was developing muscle, but muscle takes up less space than fat so my measurements would be smaller, but they are not. Any help, ideas or experience with this would be wonderful I am very frustrated
dish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:22 AM   #2  

Hi, dish. What age were you when you used to weigh what you do now? I don't know if this is the case for you, but unfortunately, our body shape changes as we age and we tend to gain weight in areas that are different from where we used to gain it. For example, when I was in my 20's I always had thin arms and hips, especially when I lost weight. In fact, my arms looked as thin as sticks when I would lose weight. However, when I gained or lost weight in my thirties (I'm 35 now), I noticed that my arms and hips were no longer as thin. At my heavier weight in my 30's, I noticed that I was developing the flabby arms of my mother, something that I had never had in my 20's even at my heaviest. Also, I developed hips that I'd never had either.

I've read many articles which say that our weight is redistributed as we age. Most women begin to accumulate weight in their waist and belly area as they get older. This may be the reason that you are finding that your clothes don't fit the same even at the same weight.
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:44 AM   #3  

It was when I was 30 and now I am 33yrs. I feel my hips have expanded and I cannot fit into the Levi's I had on 3yrs ago. Do you think 3yrs can make that big of a difference? Oh I love getting old!
Old 02-26-2004, 12:36 PM   #4  

Wow, that must make me ancient, lol! Honestly, I doubt you are seeing hormonal changes at your age, unless you have had kids or are taking birth control pills, something of that nature.

What you may be seeing is muscle development underneath the surface fat, which unfortunately tends to make the dimensions larger, until you lose the fat layer, and the fat that's inside the muscle itself. The fat inside the muscle is like the marbling on an expensive steak, and it adds weight and bulk.

You will need to burn that fat off with lots of aerobics and good diet to see an overall decrease in dimensions. That may very well require more aerobics than the Curves system or your current program provides. You might also want to get your body fat tested, and recheck it every few months. That, along with keeping good records of your hip and thigh measurements, will give you a sense of your progress. Good Luck.
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 01:52 PM   #5  

I agree more cadio and I think you are right I need to shed the layer of fat. I do consider my work out at Curves as cardio, I run on the rest pads so I do get a cardio work out. When spring finally arrives I will run more outside. Thanks for your help of making sence out of my confusion.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:12 AM   #6  

i had the same problem at curves after getting down in weight so i started yoga to lengthen my muscles and lessened my trips to curves. then i stopped going cause i had a baby and now i am starting back at sq 1
beflipswife is offline   Reply With Quote