Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 05:53 AM   #1  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Elliptical trainer use?

Hi everyone!

At my local YMCA, I've been using this elliptical trainer with "arms" and a heart rate readout... and it has this nifty feature where it tells you at the end of your workout how many calories you burned.

I'm a bit skeptical though - because when I enter in my age (32) and weight (198), at the end of a half hour, it tells me I went 2.35 miles and BURNED 380 CALORIES? No way! What do you think?

That would be 760 cal/hour. I'm really out of shape, but I do pour sweat on this thing I mean, it drips off my face and arms! Could I really be burning that many calories when it's so low-impact?

If so, super, hehehe!

Off to the YMCA for more thermogenesis!
Sarah
Old 09-29-2003, 08:30 AM   #2  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

I believe those numbers. Crosstrainers burn an incredible amount of calories, for me after 30 min, depending on how hard I push myself, I will burn between 430-460 cals. I think this is why I use the crosstrainer 6x a week lol.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:17 PM   #3  

I use the elliptical trainer with arms at my gym too. I put it on level 20 ... in 30 minutes it reads 500 calories ... my weight is 135 lbs ... the calories your machine sound about right depending on the level you're doing compared to what mine reads.

Do I believe the calorie count ??? Not really. It seems like I'm putting much more effort into running than into that elliptical trainer. I also read in one of the fitness magazines that the average machine overestimates calories by 20%.

Hope this helps!!!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:31 AM   #4  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

WOW Level 20! I use it at level 3 or 4! I go for the long hall....I do at least 1 hour usually more.

I think 20% is about right.
wow level 20!
Old 10-02-2003, 08:29 PM   #5  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

I'm impressed with your level 20 too! I usually go at about level 8.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:48 PM   #6  

hey gang:

the best thing to do on the elliptical trainer is to cross train, too. at different speeds, reps, and on different levels... it keeps your muscles guessing.

those machines do overestimate calories burned. id advise not to go pound some desserts cause the machine says you burn 500 cal cause its SO easy, believe me, ive been there LOL.

running seems to tire me more, too... but i burn less calories. then again, during step class, i use many different muscles and i blast the calories through resistance training.

ive had fabulous results. what it comes down to is changing it up so your muscles dont get used to it and you dont get bored with it.

and the Y is a GREAT place for that! thats where i work out, too!

*mel
Closed Thread