3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Tae Kwon Do (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/31831-tae-kwon-do.html)

MrsK 09-11-2003 10:56 AM

Tae Kwon Do

Oy! I must be crazy but I start Tae Kwon Do classes tonight.

My mom is paying for them and my daughter's instructor (also a good friend of mine and the owner of the school) is really encouraging.

But I'm still trying to imagine a 300 lb. woman doing Tae Kwon Do! It is almost enough to make me laugh at myself.

The good news is that I found a company that makes martial arts uniforms in larger sizes. The average uniform co. only makes them up to a size 7 or 8. The company I found makes them up to a size 15 (which fits up to almost 400 pounds and 6'8" tall).

So at least I'll have a gi. I'll look good while I'm falling on my tushie! :lol:

Suzanne 3FC 09-13-2003 01:36 AM

Good luck with that! It sounds like fun! My nephew takes it, though I've never been to see him in action. I should go sometime.

Let us know how it goes!

MrsK 09-15-2003 09:34 AM

My first class went really well! I wasn't even sore afterward. My instructor really worked me, but didn't push me too hard. I can't wait until Tuesday and my next class!

My gi arrived on Thursday and my mom and I took it up this weekend. I had to special order the gi, but at least I have one in my size!

conway_1979 09-15-2003 11:51 AM

Not crazy,,, but smart!!! It will not only provide you w/ personal protection, but also let you get great exercise at the same time. I have heard it provides discipline in many ares of life, helping w/ everything from eaing to work. I am putting together an exercise program as well, in order to be able to eat my favorite foods w/out guilt..LOL good luck to you though!

RavenToy 09-15-2003 01:26 PM

I'm so glad your first class went well!! I admire you for taking that step, and just doing it. I was around 180 when I started, and I remember feeling SO out of place. But my instructor was wonderful, my kids loved the classes, and I found out I was actually really good at it. Well... till we started talking about getting airborne. I had tremendous difficulty with the flying kicks.

I know that I went nearly every night, and we worked for at least an hour solid, sometimes closer to two hours. Between the running, the stretching, the forms, and the practice and sparring, I was a sweaty mess at the end of every class. But it was fun!! I kind of miss it. I wish I could find another instructor I liked as much. But of course, now we're into the horseback riding, sooo... one thing at a time, I guess!

Keep us posted on your progress, I'm curious!! :bravo:

MrsK 09-17-2003 08:50 AM

Did my second class last night and it was awesome.

I'm taking it with my mom, my dad and my daughter. We're working on convincing my hubby to start too! :D

Our school has a lot of instructors so my mom, dad and I - who all have physical limitations due either to weight, age or injury - are all working with one instructor in a "semi-private" class. In some ways this means we don't feel pushed as hard and in other ways means we work harder (it's harder to slack off when the teacher only has 3 students! ;) ).

I think what I'm enjoying most is that I'm exercising but it feels like playing. Unlike aerobics classes where I've always felt bored and annoyed at being there - at the Tae Kwon Do classes I have fun!