Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/176/150

Height: 5'6"

Question Exercise to break a sedentary lifestyle?

I've lived a fairly sedentary lifestyle for quite a few years (aside from the small bits of neccessary walking), and I'm finding it hard to get from that towards being able to work out every day, which i'd really like to do.
I'm not weak, as I have quite a bit of muscle tone and weight lifting (in non-absurd amounts) is fairly easy for me, but I have a lot of trouble with things such as walking, cardio etc; the stamina things.

I've been trying to gradually scale up to improve my ability to do these things (with my end goal being going hiking for the first time in several years) but i'm finding it a very difficult, almost painful process.

Any advice on exercise methods or tips for breaking out of a sedentary body?
Maerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:55 PM   #2  

Walking is your best tool. Aim to add an extra minute every 3 days, and break it up into smaller walks. Start with a challenging, but doable, amount of time.

Eg. 8min walk in the morning, 8min walk in the evening x 3 days

9min walk in the morning, 9min walk in the evening x 3 days

In 2-3 months, you'll be walking for more than an hour a day! At that point, you should have more stamina to explore new options. But always keep up with your walking! 😊

Last edited by Defining; 07-28-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 09:39 AM   #3  

Researchers have discovered that starting to reverse decades of sedentary living can require as little as four to five days of cardio exercise each week for two years. The study, which was published in the journal Circulation, examined the hearts of adults 45 to 64 years old who had never before engaged in regular exercise.
timmothysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise