Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #1  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

Default Climbing gym

There's a nearby climbing gym I'm going to try next ladies night (half off). I've never climbed before and everyone says weight and fitness level don't matter, that I'll have fun regardless and it won't matter. Well, I'm still a wee bit nervous. I've never even climbed a tree as a kid (nor the rope in gym class). So the image in my head is me at the base of the wall, red faced. Lol. It's just hard to visualize myself climbing is what I mean.

Has anyone here been climbing/bouldering?? I'd love to hear about it.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #2  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I'm going climbing for my first time tonight! Do you have a friend you can go with who can show you the ropes? (pun intended!) I'll let you know how my first climb goes
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I said I would follow up so here I am! In some ways it was easier than I expected, and in other ways it was harder. I'm lucky that my boyfriend has been climbing for a bit, so before we even went, he showed me how to tie myself to the harness and gave me some basic tips. We discussed all the important communication things - what to say so that you and your belayer know you're ready to climb, how to signal that you want to just hang off the wall for a bit (it's a great way to rest!), how to signal that you want to come down. When we got there, I watched him climb for a bit while our friends continued to give me advice (push up from your legs, keep yourself as close to the wall as possible, how to lock your arms to hang instead of putting stress on your muscles, etc.) So by the time I actually got to climbing, I felt pretty confident. I chose an easy route (5.5) and went about halfway up before I realized I was pretty high up and had no idea what it felt like to be lowered, so I made him bring me down. I'd recommend doing that a bit sooner haha!

In a nut shell, for me the mental game was the harder part but I have an issue with heights and falling. I went fully up one wall and partially up a couple others. My mind tended to get to me before my body did, though I won't lie, my arms were killing me at first! I got tripped up when I was climbing right next to other people, because I felt like I couldn't take the time I needed and was worried about crashing into them! Honestly though, once you get on the wall, everything you've heard about climbing starts to make sense and it's a really cool feeling!

I'd recommend getting an instructor or a couple friends seasoned in climbing to be there for you as a coach. But definitely give it a try!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote