Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-20-2015, 05:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 323/342/200

Height: 5'6''

Post Motivation to Exercise

I joined a gym years ago and really enjoyed going, despite seeing a lot of kids I would substitute for in the local schools. I was going and doing cardio plus light weight training 4-5 days a week, but I continued to gain weight. I got discouraged and even though I have continued my gym membership, I have not gone in probably 18+ months.

I am getting really serious about my weight loss, finally. I am being more conscious of my calorie intake, but I cannot motivate myself to start exercising again.

What does everyone else do to get themselves moving? I plan on going slow, doing exercises at home before going back to the gym, but I still am not doing that either.
MinervaMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #2  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

I started out with simple walking. I found that it was so good for me, mentally, that I started actually looking forward to it and not avoiding it. That progressed to some light jogging and a little bit of weight training. The key is to find something you enjoy, or at least don't totally hate.

But sometimes you have just to power through those feelings of exercise avoidance. When I wake up in the morning and am getting my running gear out, I tell myself, "I am going to have a GOOD run today!" instead of, "Gosh, I don't feel like running today."
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #3  

Thumbs up

I agree with you HereIStand, I definitely need to find something that I don't hate, at the very least.

I actually really love the way I feel when I work out, but since I got to my heaviest weight (2 months ago or so), even being on my feet long enough for shopping hurts. And I am not a lover of shopping, so I rarely do it for long anyways.

I am thinking that I might need to find something that doesn't put a lot of strain on my back and feet until I drop some more weight. I keep thinking I can do the workouts I use to do in high school (I was overweight then too, just no way near like today).

I think I get disappointed in myself when I can't exercise for long and then it kills my motivation. It seems like being on this site might help me stay on track this time though
Old 09-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #4  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

You might find the Chicks Up For a Challenge sub-forum helpful. It's in the Support Groups forum. There's a thread there with a monthly exercise challenge. You can decide what your challenge is - maybe just exercising 20 minutes/day, 5 days/week, or something like that - and then you just post how you're doing in the thread.

Do you have access to an indoor pool? If your back and feet are hurting, low-impact cardio might be a great option.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:22 PM   #5  

Smile

Thanks for the suggestion HereIStand! I will check out that thread for sure. The pool is a great idea also. I do not currently have access to one, but maybe I can figure out a way.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #6  
mam1958

S/C/G: 307/267/160

Height: 5'6"

There are a lot of videos on U tube for exercising while sitting. Cardio and lifting.

They give a good challenge. I do them and I am sweating by the end.

LG
mam1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #7  

That is something I hadn't thought about, thanks mam1958!
Old 09-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #8  
mam1958

S/C/G: 307/267/160

Height: 5'6"

Your welcome.
mam1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:44 AM   #9  

You can't always rely on outside forces to drive you, on a trip. Having a personal or emotional interest in your objectives comes from knowing you're why for exercising.
timmothysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 12:59 AM   #10  

I agree with you.
MichaelAlbury is offline   Reply With Quote