Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #1  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

Default At-home yoga/stretching for dancers?

I'm looking for a video for doing yoga/stretching at home that will help improve my Irish dancing. Specifically, routines that will help with leg turnout, stretching the hips, staying high on the toes, balance, and maintaining a stiff upper body (core strength). I'm not cut out for the spiritual side of yoga either. I'm really just looking for a good stretching and balance routine, which yoga can offer.

Due to my dance class commitments and related costs as well as also fitting in other cross training and work, going to a yoga studio for proper classes isn't a good fit for me.

Any suggestions for videos/instructors/programs for yoga/stretching that hit on these elements while not getting too into "breathe down into your spine" on me?
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Restorative yoga is very good for deep stretching though you will need lots of props for it. Bolsters, yoga blocks, blankets etc. Something like this doesn't have too much zen talk in it, it's more like an exercise video than actual yoga. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DyUTfl9U2M
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #3  
Irish dance addict

Thanks Palestrina, I'll give the video a shot and look into the restorative yoga. My apartment complex has a yoga room so I might be able to go in there for props if they have them.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/170

Height: 5'8"

I'm surprised, if you're that intensely into Irish dance (I'm assuming you're performing competitively or about to be) that your coaches aren't building in stretching/flexibility for you or making recommendations in some way. Unless they like injured dancers...?

I would suggest a foam roller to make sure you're loosening everything well and some solid core/weights work to help with that straight posture/balance thing you're looking at. You mentioned something about cross-training, what are you doing currently?

As far as specific yoga stretches, you want lots of hip openers... this is a decent set here: http://www.prevention.com/fitness/yo...open-your-hips

Good luck!
Eydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #5  
Irish dance addict

Eydawn - My teachers do incorporate strength and flexibility into classes. But I'm only in class 3 times a week (2 now as it's summer), so this is me trying to go above and beyond what I'm taught in class. I only started a couple years ago at age 28 and Irish dance is majority children. The kids who are very young or have been dancing for 10 years can kick their heads easily. This adult novice has to *work* to get her legs consistently lifted to the waist. Me being an adult so having to go above and beyond what the other, younger, more advanced dancers at my small satellite studio have to do to achieve good flexibility doesn't mean my teachers are neglient to injuries.

My current cross training includes weight lifting (including core). It typically also includes running, but with recent work and moving stress I let most of my fitness goals slide, so I won't start running again untl I'm ready to work it in.

Thank you for the hip openers link.

Last edited by atmos; 07-21-2015 at 09:31 AM.