Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-09-2015, 03:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Default Is only cardio enough for weight loss?

Assuming I'm eating at a deficit, can I just do cardio to lose weight?

The reason I ask is because I do not like lifting. I must not be doing it properly or something because I don't feel the rush of energy I feel when I got for a run or use the stair master.

Any thoughts on this?
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Yes, but you will become skinny fat.

Deficit eating plus cardio means that you will lose weight by burning fat and muscle. This makes a guy look gaunt. Not a good look. But it might be more acceptable for a lady.

I would advise that you do this but once you have lost the weight, start eating some good lean protein and doing some strength training to tone up.

Alternatively, it might be your diet that is making you feel lethargic at weights. A little more protein (chicken, eggs, fish) could help with that too now, if you like.

Last edited by IanG; 07-09-2015 at 09:52 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #3  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

The deficit alone is enough for weight loss. Cardio will speed up the process, plus it's good for your overall health.

I agree with Ian regarding the "skinny fat" that may result from cardio alone. If you are eating at a deficit plus cardio and losing at a good clip, you are losing muscle as well. If you work to maintain that muscle, you will lose more fat than muscle. Not only is the "skinny fat" probably not the look you're going for, it's also not as healthy because you may still have a higher percentage of body fat when you're done losing compared with what you would have if you had worked to maintain muscle during the loss. This could leave you at more risk of obesity-related problems than if you have a lower body fat, even with having lost the weight.

As Ian said, a proper amount of lean protein is very helpful for maintaining the muscles. Strength training has a variety of benefits beyond cardio for your health, including healthy bones from weight-bearing exercise.

I'm the opposite of you where I dread cardio and feel she-hulk awesome when I lift. But, you don't have to lift to get strengthening exercises that will help preserve muscle. It's important you enjoy and can stick to your exercise program. You can use bodyweight-based exercises like pushups, sit ups, squats, etc. I used to take a group class called Body Pump at the Y. It wasn't "heavy" lifting, but still involved strength training and was a nice atmosphere in the group. There are also classes like barre, pilates, and strength-based yoga that you may find enjoyable.

To summarize...if you're in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Cardio has great benefits for your health and fitness so it's good you enjoy it. However, in order to maintain your muscle mass so that as much of your loss as possible is body fat, as well as reaping other health benefits, I encourage you to look into continuing strength training. This doesn't have to involve just picking up heavy things and setting them back down!

Last edited by atmos; 07-09-2015 at 11:10 AM.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 181/ticker/115

Height: 5'2"

I'm not so sure about what's said here - I'm eating at a significant defict and doing cardio only (pole walking) and I've actually developed muscle. I didn't expect to, but one day I just noticed when brushing my hair that I have some muscle in my arms I didn't use to have. Also in my bum! I think it might depend also what type of cardio you're doing.
pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #5  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

Yes, however, you'll eventually plateau. Incorporate some weight training. The difference will shock and amaze you!
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:45 AM   #6  

Yes, cardio exercise is enough for weight loss if you do 45 minutes 5 days a week.
timmothysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote