Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-10-2015, 03:01 AM   #1  

Default Couch Potato's tip to make exercise a little more addicting

I have spent my life trying to convince myself I like working out. Sure I love the endorphins, reaching my goals, the challenge of pushing my body that much farther, and I definitely do not hesitate to tell others how much I enjoy it... Running is just swell the very best part of my day... wow, I can't wait to wake up early to go for a run tomorrow” .. but, unfortunately, those are lies!!!

Last week when half-heartedly attempting to go for a run I ended up scrubbing my toilet and waxing my legs. That's right … I would rather clean my bathroom and torture myself than exercise.

But, I have found something that has helped with my procrastination to the point that I am almost eager to get going so I thought I would share my tip.

I purchased a couple of audio version of very suspenseful and addicting books. I have always been someone who is awake at 4 am still wrapped up in a book, or glued to the screen enjoying a film or television series based on a book. So, I made my rule simple:

To be able to listen to the book I have purchase( about a 10 – 12 hour .mp3) I have to be doing some form of exercising.

For once in my life I absolutely can not wait to run out the door. I have been more successful sticking to my exercise goals and my friends have been equally motivated. Now audio books might not be for everyone but I thought I would share this and see if we can brainstorm some simple ways to combine exercise with our favourite things to make it more addicting.

- Alexa
LovingAlexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for being honest. I think even the fittest of the fit don't always feel excited about getting sweaty and tired. Especially in the winter months, or after a long day. I'm glad you found your motivation, audio books don't really work for me but I agree that we all have to find that extra thing that makes exercise rewarding. For me I it's podcasts. I love Snap Judgement, The Moth, Radiolab, Ted Talks and Serial. It keeps me walking longer too because I circle my block of the story is not finished yet.

But also, I am committed to exercise and I try to keep to a schedule. I don't have to exercise because I like it but I do like it after I've started. I think people rely way too much on motivation and will power to keep to an exercise schedule. Just do it, whether you like it or not. It's that important.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/207.4/150

Height: 5'1"

What a great idea!! I LOVE to read, so I think this would work great for me, too!! Stealing your idea!! Excited!! Because I will NEVER be able to truly say I like to exercise, and this is a fabulous way to get me moving!! Which audio books did you get?

Last edited by addisjo1; 06-11-2015 at 12:42 PM.
addisjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Thank you LovingAlexa! What a great idea. "Combine exercise with our favorite things".

I know it sounds strange but I actually do love to exercise. I had just been away from it for so long that I was having trouble getting back into it. Having low thyroid has made it challenging because it seems to take the drive and energy away! I never had a problem getting motivated before my hypothyroid, but I know I can do this because I'm determined. Because we are all different, we do have to find what works best for us.

I am learning I have to go to bed and get a good nights rest in order to get up early and exercise. And...I have to do it first thing in the morning, otherwise I too will find other things to do like housework or other projects! Then before I know it, I have to get ready for work and didn't have time for exercise!

What's been working for me lately is watching shows like "So You Think You Can Dance" and working out while I'm watching it, because I LOVE to dance! Or I use one of my own "Dance" DVD's. I also found a Dance Tutorial on youtube that I'm going to learn. It's so fun and doesn't feel like a workout!

Can everyone get motivated with Audio Books? No. With Dance Videos? No. But we can each find what works for us.

Thanks again for sharing what helps motivate you!
AshliRose is offline   Reply With Quote