Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/207.4/150

Height: 5'1"

Default Is walking enough?

I live a sedentary life during the week - sit in front of a computer all day.. I don't like to exercise much, but know I have to. I was watching a program that said all you have to do is walk.. do you agree? Walking is enjoyable to me, so I know I would DO that, but am afraid that I have to do more.. I don't know what more, but more!
addisjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Walking is most definitely enough!!!! You can vary the length and pace to get quite the workout!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #3  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

I started with walking (check out leslie sansone walk away the pounds). Walking is a good place to start until you build up your stamina. You can try other things or walk further or with weights. YOu can start out with just walking around the block.

I would try it and see how it feels.

Last edited by Obsidianbbw; 06-08-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #4  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidianbbw View Post
I started with talking (check out leslie sansone walk away the pounds). Walking is a good place to start until you build up your stamina. You can try other things or walk further or with weights. YOu can start out with just walking around the block.

I would try it and see how it feels.
Not to say "don't do this" but walking with weights may or may not be good. it can throw your balance differently so that you don't walk in your normal gait and that can lead to injuries.

From the walking site (and others):
Quote:
Should I use hand weights while walking?

No! The risk far out weigh the benefits. Hand weights can be a great part of your fitness routine, but use them separate from your walk. Carrying weights will not provide the resistance needed to tone your muscles; but can increase your blood pressure, place strain on ligaments and tendons and may contribute to joint problems. You will actually be able to walk faster without carrying the weights, therefore getting a better workout.
And I have yet to meet ANYONE with normal fitness level who could not get a really good workout with JUST walking.

I could still get my heart rate soaring, and be dripping in sweat despite 2 years of vigorous step aerobics and lots of walking. I just got faster and faster. I forgot my top pace, but it was around 4.5 miles per hour.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #5  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Is walking enough...for what? To be healthy? To be "active"? To lose weight?

Is it enough to help with overall health and fitness, including cardiovascular and chronic health? For the most part, yes!

The CDC does recommend adding 2 days of strength training a week. Can you incorporate some strength exercises into your routine?

I think the others have answered your questions if its in regards to losing weight.

Last edited by nonameslob; 06-08-2015 at 04:56 PM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #6  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
It's probably not enough to lose weight, that's for sure, ...
Why do so many people think this? Walking can be very intense! It all depends on how you push yourself!

I lost the first 30-40 of my pounds last time while walking. I'm losing now with walking. All the way down to my lowest weight, I was using walking as exercise. I just got faster and faster, but then also added step aerobics for adding diversity to my exercise.

AND... people who are sedentary should start slow to prevent injuries, but soon, you can be FLYING...

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 06-08-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #7  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Berry, I'll take that back. For some reason I was mixing a few different posts from this forum up in my head and was assuming the walking was very very minimal. I do actually agree with you. Just a brain fart

Last edited by nonameslob; 06-08-2015 at 04:56 PM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #8  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

My next step after i started walking was with two hand weights. I didn't say start out with that, but it can be a next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Not to say "don't do this" but walking with weights may or may not be good. it can throw your balance differently so that you don't walk in your normal gait and that can lead to injuries.

From the walking site (and others):

And I have yet to meet ANYONE with normal fitness level who could not get a really good workout with JUST walking.

I could still get my heart rate soaring, and be dripping in sweat despite 2 years of vigorous step aerobics and lots of walking. I just got faster and faster. I forgot my top pace, but it was around 4.5 miles per hour.

Last edited by Obsidianbbw; 06-08-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #9  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidianbbw View Post
My next step after i started walking was with two hand weights. I didn't say start out with that, but it can be a next step.
And I'm just saying, it probably shouldn't be done - ever. Even the few sites that say it's OK, if you go to their cited references, those cited references say don't walk with weights. My physical therapist said "no" too (and he wasn't the end all of references, but it's not a great idea and not necessary to get a good workout).
Old 06-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #10  

walking is nice start, you could try longer distances for better effect
wizeapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 355/see tracker/under 200

Height: 5.5

Walking I think is a great way to start. It is great for losing a few pounds and getting results at a slower pace. Downside is that unless you're doing it inside dealing with weather can keep you from doing it everyday.

If you really want to kick start your weight loss adding interval training using a treadmill and other cardio equipment as well as weights at a gym will really improve your results. I think it's the big thing that sells the fad diets and exercise machines is to promise quick results with little effort but the truth is that you get out of it what you put into it.

I went from working out 25 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes and I have seen amazing results. Just know the more you put into it and the results you see will help keep you motivated. Good Luck!
JenDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #12  

Height: 5' 7''

walking (no matter how fast or slow) is still better than sitting on the couch. my puppy makes me walk....97lbs in the last 9 months and counting.

Last edited by finn; 06-09-2015 at 08:49 AM.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by addisjo1 View Post
I live a sedentary life during the week - sit in front of a computer all day.. I don't like to exercise much, but know I have to. I was watching a program that said all you have to do is walk.. do you agree? Walking is enjoyable to me, so I know I would DO that, but am afraid that I have to do more.. I don't know what more, but more!
It's a great place to start. Walking is great for many reasons and the top reason is that it makes you move. It's basic, you know how to do it already. One step leads to another and it's a great way to get in touch with your body's capabilities. Commit to doing a little everyday for a month or so and then reassess what you're willing to do. What's there to be afraid of? What's the alternative, doing nothing? You're already doing that, get out there and start walking, it will open a whole new door of opportunities for you.

That's how I started, with walking. Which then led to the gym, and taking aerobics classes and then lifting weights and then dance classes, and then tennis.... I had a long list of things I thought I could never do and slowly but surely I started doing them all.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/207.4/150

Height: 5'1"

Great responses.. Thank You!!
addisjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #15  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I do not think it is enough, at least short walks. Better than nothing, sure. But not much beyond that.

I walked two miles a day at 281lbs. And I still walk 2 miles a day.

But I also run 4 miles and do weight training. Those things (and the diet) made the difference. Not the walk.

Last edited by IanG; 06-10-2015 at 01:40 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote