Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-12-2015, 01:39 AM   #16  
Less of a Better Me

I do a lot of walking. I do think walking is enough for the aerobic part of activity. But, as you get more fit to get the same benefit you will need to increase the intensity and/or duration of the walking. I live in a hilly neighborhood. When I first started walking outside I wore a heart rate monitor and my heart rate would get high into a good aerobic zone. That same walk now doesn't raise my heart rate enough. To get the same heart rate I have to either walk faster or change my walk in some way.

This is one reason a treadmill works well for me for some of my walking. I can put an incline on it and have a better workout. I can also increase the pace. I can't run (bad knee), but I am able to increase intensity through increasing the incline.

Another possibility is to mix up the walking with some other activities. I also ride an exercise bike and do the elliptical.

As others have mentioned, adding in strength training at least a couple of days a week will help as well.

Also, as someone with a sedentary lifestyle, it is important to not sit for too long at a time. Look at some of the research which recommends periodically getting up and moving around a few mintues. I try to get up every hour for at least a couple of minutes.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Yes, walking for some people is enough. It really depends on one's goal. And like Finn said, moving is better than not moving!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #18  
Yes.

Definitely not enough to just walk. But it is a good place to start, you could begin running once you've built up some stamina.
Forseir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:54 AM   #19  

Walking is ineffective for sure, try running at least 30 minutes every day. 10 minutes running then 2 minutes walking then repeated
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:09 AM   #20  

Ill say YES I started out walking at 356. and couldnt get as far as the stop sign at the end of my road. 9 months later, I dropped 125 pounds and was up to 6 miles a day. Now if I could just do it again.
SatinPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:44 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 243/204/140

Height: 63"

I have dodgy feet these days (dropped arch in one foot and feet kill me after work - walking / standing all day).

I did wonder about increasing my walking as I lose weight to help me be more mobile / fitter.

will have a look at a plan or maybe couch to 5k to introduce slow running again see how that works out with my feet.
PurpleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:16 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 243/204/140

Height: 63"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Walking is ineffective for sure, try running at least 30 minutes every day. 10 minutes running then 2 minutes walking then repeated

This is far too advanced for some people - I remember doing Couch to 5k at my heaviest and couldn't run for a minute. The programme is popular because it's designed for complete novices.

I don't think walking is ineffective either if someone isn't used to walking or isn't fit enough to walk far.
PurpleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I think walking can be great exercise if you are just starting out. Just try to make sure that you are going out of your way to walk extra (as opposed to just the amount of walking you would normally do in a day). When I started I was extremely self-conscious about how I would be seen at a gym (which I now realize was stupid of me, but hey, live and learn) and wasn't ready mentally to exercise. But I walked a couple of miles each day (and not necessarily all at once, but over the course of the day). I lost the first 70 pounds just by dieting and walking.

It is only in the last month and a half that I have started going to the gym and running. One day I woke up and realized that not only was I physically capable of more, but that I wanted to do more. Now I am starting to love the gym (well, the feeling I get after I finish anyways)!

Take things slow and build up as you grow more and more comfortable with the exertion. The most important thing is to get moving any way you can! Good luck!
AM02135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #24  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Walking is NEVER ineffective. EVER... Not trying to be mean, but this is just beginning to be old. Since when is walking not exercise?

PEOPLE, you don't have to be a warrior to call it exercise. Walking is great exercise you can do your whole life. You just walk faster or longer the fitter you get.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Walking is NEVER ineffective. EVER... Not trying to be mean, but this is just beginning to be old. Since when is walking not exercise?

PEOPLE, you don't have to be a warrior to call it exercise. Walking is great exercise you can do your whole life. You just walk faster or longer the fitter you get.
AMEN!

I know tons of people in my town that have lost weight walking and doing nothing but walking! It is very effective and, yeah, running and a dozen other things will probably have you lose quicker if you like those things, to say it's not effective is just..... well, not going there.

My aunt started out slow and now she speed walks 8 miles a day, rain or shine. She lost her weight walking and she's kept it off for over 20 years walking. So, yes it is VERY EFFECTIVE.

Plus, as mentioned, any exercise is good for you!
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #26  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

Walking is all I did when I first started losing weight. Combined with calorie counting and smaller portions, it worked. All I did was walk. I tried the C25k when I was at my biggest and I couldn't do it. Walking longer distances and faster was enough to get my heart pumping. Anything is better than nothing.

agree ^^double Amen to your post berryblondeboys!

Last edited by kisskiss; 07-08-2015 at 05:48 PM.
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #27  
lovemylife001

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7

Hi Everyone!

I have to agree with Berryblondeboys. What did people do before we had all these high priced gyms and fitness equipment that you can buy for your home. People walked for exercise.

That's what my grandparents did in Arkansas as they were very poor and that was the only means of exercise. And my grandparents are just shy of 90 years old.

So I would say that walking is definitely exercise and a good place to start. Just like with any exercise regime, it's good to switch it sometimes.
lovemylife001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post

I totally agree and especially that you don't have to be a "warrior" to call it exercise. Unfortunately it's that type of attitude that keeps people away from exercising. Is walking enough to become an olympic athlete? Nope, but it surely is enough if you want to live a long healthy life. Our bodies were designed for walking. Running in my opinion (although I'm not against it as exercise), is not essential and can and most probably will result in a range of minor to major injuries. Sure it can help me lose weight but also develops joint problems, foot problems etc. It's completely unecessary and there are hundreds and thousands of ways to exert energy.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #29  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Walking is awesome, and walking can be incredibly challenging as well, you don't have to be running to get an awesome workout -- and I say this as a person who loves running (I love walking as well). And, I will say like Palestrina pointed out, that I've never been injured by my walking habit, and have been injured many times over the years by my running habit. I still love running, but I really have to pay close attention to my body to avoid injury -- and sometimes it happens anyway.

Fast walking -- like truly, serious fast walking/speed walking is very hard to do over distance. It's a fantastic workout.

I also walk at incline on my treadmill to prepare for hiking trails -- another way to get a n incredible workout and it really works the legs muscles nicely.

A walking habit can last a lifetime -- the most fit seniors I see in my neighborhood are the ones out for their daily walk every morning or evening, they tell me they've been walking since forever. I want that to be me!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 07-17-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:48 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 181/ticker/115

Height: 5'2"

I started with walking, and then added walking poles. It's actually really effective, then the technique is right - when you really push yourself forward with the poles, like you were skiing. To my surprise, I have actually gained muscle in my arms because of this.

It's also considered a safe way to exercise, as the poles help you keep balance, and weight is taken away from the knees. Great for those who can't run for a reason or another.

From http://nordicwalking.co.uk/:
Physical Benefits
Tones the upper and lower body at the same time
Uses 90% of the skeletal muscles
Burns up to 46% more calories than ordinary walking
Reduces the pressure on knees and joints
Great for the Heart and Lungs
Ideal for neck, shoulder and back problems
Poles propel the walker along, making it easier to move faster then normal without feeling the effort.
It is one of the most effective cross training techniques for athletes and sportspeople who require ultimate cardiovascular and endurance conditioning.
pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote