Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Need Exercise Motivation and Support

Hello,

I am having the toughest time getting motivated to exercise. I have lost 9 lbs. just from changing my diet and eating healthy. I want to exercise to continue to lose and to get toned, but I am completely lacking motivation.

Last week I managed to do a 20 minute yoga workout, and this morning I absolutely forced myself to do about 15 minutes of stretching and some light weights, but it took all I had. I am not tired, achy, or sick. There should be nothing stopping me. I just don't have the drive right now and it's baffling!

I used to LOVE exercising in the morning! I'm sure just getting started is the hardest part. Is anyone else experiencing that? Would anyone like to be my workout buddy? Maybe we can start with a "7-Day Challenge" or something, and report everyday? Even if it's just 5 minutes first day, 10 minutes second day, 15 min. 3rd day, etc. to begin with, but just doing some kind of workout every day?

Look forward to hearing your experiences with lacking motivation and how you got through it. Or if you want to start a "workout support" thread and your ideas!

Thanks!
AshliRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #2  
Less of a Better Me

I just did a post on my blog yesterday about not wanting to exercise and how I handled it. Basically what works for me is to create a routine and then create some "rules" I don't deviate from without a good reason.

Some of my rules:

1. Don't take a day off exercise unless I exercised the prior 3 days or there is a good reason (ex: being sick is a good reason).

2. Feeling tired (but not being sick) is not a good reason. I find out that if I exercise anyway, then I usually feel less tired when I am done.

3. Not wanting to exercise right then, not being motivated is not a good reason.

So, even though I didn't really want to exercise last night and I was tired, I did it anyway. It was a bit lighter in intensity (because I was tired), but I put the time in. And, yes, I felt better after I did it. The point is that by creating my own personal rules and make them a routine, I stick with it better.

What the rules are vary from person to person. So, for example, I don't exercise in the morning since that time is much harder for me (night owl here).

Whether I feel motivated to do it or not is irrelevant to me. If I did it and hated it consistently, then I would certainly do something else. But, just not having the drive to do it right now is not something I pay attention to. I don't particularly have a great drive to brush my teeth but I make it a habit that I do. I am a big believer in the power of habit.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
Whether I feel motivated to do it or not is irrelevant to me. If I did it and hated it consistently, then I would certainly do something else. But, just not having the drive to do it right now is not something I pay attention to. I don't particularly have a great drive to brush my teeth but I make it a habit that I do. I am a big believer in the power of habit.
This ^^^

If I had to rely on "motivation" and "drive" to exercise I'd never do it either. My exercise is in my schedule just like my work meetings and dentist appointments. If you're waiting for some type of divine inspiration to exercise on a daily basis then you've been reading fairy tales. You just do it. For me it helps that I have an actual class to go to, dance and zumba classes. People expect me to be there. If I'm not there they I ask me where I've been. It's accountability somewhat.

I have rules too, like there are places I'm never allowed to drive to. If it's within a mile from my house the car is off limits. This includes the grocery store, the pharmacy, the bank, several restaurants, taking my son to school every day, even my dentist is a half a mile away. Since it's a rule there's no bargaining with myself. If I had to make that a daily decision I can guarantee you that my a$$ would be parked in my car
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 248?/173/130

Height: 5'8"

I used to enjoy it and then stopped. I'm having a heck of a time getting back into it. Any time I stop, I have a tough time restarting. I just don't want to!

I have managed to force myself into a little. I did a little yoga one day, a lot dancing the next and yesterday I went for a short, one-mile walk.

It's really not easy to make myself start doing something I don't really want to do. So, I'm starting slow. Just doing a little. The day I danced, I did a lot. I did it twice. Liked that!

It really doesn't help that getting so hot and that I can't walk in the afternoons/evening because of storms, but I'm going to make the effort.

The hardest part is deciding to do it and opening the door. Once the door is open, I just walk. That's not hard.

Just a little something every day. If I do a little, I'll like it and get back into it.

I can do a little. A little isn't too hard.

That's the plan.
Stripes 237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #5  

I'd offer to be your accountability buddy, but I'm not sure I will keep it up and don't want to drag someone else down.

I'm literally on Day #4 and am not sure I'll do anything exercise-wise today. Typing that out makes me stop and think, "Oh, yes, I will! I'm not going to do nothing!"...but we will see.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #6  

Koshka and Stripes 237: Thank you both for your kind and supportive replies!

Koshka:
I really appreciate what you had to say about the rules and brushing your teeth. I agree. I brush twice a day and floss every night. I remember when that wasn't a habit and I "hated" it. But now I don't even think twice about it because I know I NEED to do it for my health! So it's about setting that guideline and sticking to it no matter what. I just realized it hasn't been a priority for me because I was losing weight just by changing my diet. I guess I just got plain lazy! If I make it a priority and remember that there are people that are paralyzed or bedridden with an illness and WISH they could get up and exercise! I should be grateful nothing is stopping me! Thanks again!

Stripes 237: "Just a little something every day". Thanks - so many things I like about what you shared! I "forced" myself to do a 15 minute workout yesterday. Today, it didn't feel like it was so "forced" but it was my goal and priority. I did some housework and then a 15 min. workout. Oh...and I love to dance as well and so I'm thinking I will start doing that too. I have some dance DVD's and maybe I'll even go on youtube to learn some new dances.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

You're very welcome
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #8  

Stripes 237. That's okay, I completely understand. Just posting here about it and reading the replies has triggered my motivation. My muscles already feel a little sore today just from the light workouts I did today and yesterday and it feels great! I will just continue to post my progress here.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:38 PM   #9  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

So I'm going to co-sign on make it a habit. I signed up for a 14 day and 21 day challenge with two different groups. By the 14 days it was pretty much and habit and by the end I was pretty used to getting up and doing something. Sometimes I was dripping sweat from cardio or sometimes it was a quickie workout.

You have to make it something you do, even if you schedule just 20 min, do something.

I like getting it done and over with before I get ready for work. The only time I don't is for my aquarobics class which is after work OR if I miss two days in a row of working out. I get on the treadmill, which I have no love for.

If you want it, work for it. It will be worth it.

Also it took me doing cardio to finally get the scale to move the way I wanted.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #10  

Thanks Obsidianbbw. I'm going to challenge myself to workout for 7 days in a row for now. So far I've done 15 min. for 2 days. I'll probably increase the time each day. Then if I get to day 7, I will continue to reach 14 days, then 21, etc. I think it will become a habit again. I worked out most of my life and loved it. I'm a morning person too, so I like to do it first thing!
Old 06-05-2015, 01:05 AM   #11  

I did 20 min of really hard (and really bad) dancing today. Sharp knee pain stopped me, which might be for the best since I felt nauseated when I sat down.

20 minutes is something, anyway.

I'm afraid to schedule a time, like it will become a chore I don't want to do. Maybe I should just do it when I get up. Get it out of the way.

I'm enjoying reading all this.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #12  

Awesome, I danced on Friday morning and it was a blast! I don't usually get on my computer at home on weekends so you'll probably never see a weekend post! So I don't usually exercise formally on weekends, but I did some work in the yard and worked up a sweat! This morning no exercise. Slept in because I had my two grandsons yesterday and my arms are sore from playing with them. I think that may count as a workout? I lie on my back, raise my legs straight up and put my feet on their belly as I hold their hands and "fly" them around like an airplane!
Thanks for all your contributions!