Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

3.25 mile tempo run today.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #17  
Reluctant Runner

S/C/G: 255/229/150

Height: 5'7"

My dad texted me this morning and told me he saw two whales on his 19 mile (geez) run.

I texted him back to let him know I saw a homeless man doing drugs and a dead bird. #laproblems

I WISH I COULD RUN BY THE BEACH EVERY DAY.
VegTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #18  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

4 miles with friends in the glorious weather. The cherry blossom is past its peak but there is still blossom on the trees.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:27 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Oh yes! 8 km trail run, including the trip down east side trail into Bowenvale...which means the climb back out again!

It feels so good to be back on the trails, but I'm so unfit, I can't believe it. I walked the up hills, ran the downs and the flats. But I'm back running and soon I'll be running uphill too!
autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #20  
Ilene the Bean

I did run yesterday!! Friends and I started run/walking Tues, Thurs, Sun, just run 1, walk 1... Feels so good... We do the gym Mon, Wed, Sat... So run/walking is a perfect compliment...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #21  
Trying to be in the 160s

4 miles last night with beer and buddies.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #22  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Hi all!

I've seen this thread and I have to say it has inspired me. I've been trying to get myself back into running and it's taking a bit longer than I'd like... kind of like my weight loss...

Anyway, a little background... I guess you would say I was a fairly serious "runner"... I ran x-country in H.S. and college and I use to run and race for club in NYC... I ran fairly competitively... My PR's were sub 19:00 minutes for 5k's and sub 38:00 minutes for 10k's... And my half marathon PR was 1:25... I've only run 2 marathons... The New York City Marathon and the Philadelphia Marathon, both awesome experiences...

I also got into triathlons and even did an Ironman... I did Ironman USA in Lake Placid... It was a long day, but I did finish... So that's a 2.4 mi swim, a 112 mi bike, and 26.2mi run... My marathon "split" was 5:29, so that really was a very long day...

So here I am just wanting to get back into running because I truly do love it... And this week I've managed to get out twice so far... I'm not back to full "running" just yet, but I've been covering about 6 mi out and back on one of my favorite trails that I used to run all the time... And I was truly amazed by how "light" on my feet I still felt... So who knows, but I think I see a running "comeback" in my future...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 05-01-2015 at 03:46 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #23  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I did run yesterday, on the treadmill since it was supposed to storm (it didn't, go figure). More than I should have considering I have my 5K race on Saturday, but I had to prove to myself that I could still do it. My head has been convincing my body it is not capable of things.

Resting today! Race tomorrow! Pizza tonight! Nom nom nom (no worries, small homemade pizza! but there will be bacon...)

autodidact - Any tips for someone wanting to make the transition to trail running? I have shoes already (I use trail runners for regular hiking and I've run in them comfortably). Just afraid of falling on my face...

IanG - Do you run to the bar, drink, and run home?

Last edited by nonameslob; 05-01-2015 at 09:35 AM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #24  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Ooh, a running thread! Good motivation. I'm running a trail 50K next weekend; I've trained somewhat but not as rigorously as I've done for prior marathons. So I'm not too optimistic, but the time cut-off is generous so I can afford to walk a fair amount.

NNS: Kill it on your 5K! Also, I wear regular running shoes for trail running (which is all I do now); my trail running shoes are annoyingly wide in the toe box and they seem to make me trip more. And yes, we all bite it now and then when running trails. But your knees will thank you for leaving the pavement behind! And falling on dirt, even hard-packed dirt, rarely leaves more than a scrape.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #25  
Ilene the Bean

NNS Good luck tomorrow!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #26  

New runners on the thread! Hello everyone!

NNS...good luck for the 5km. Let us know how it goes.

Ilene.....walk 1 run 1 is a great place to start. It only gets better from here

Jay...a trail 50! I can't wait to hear how it goes, good luck with the training.

NNS.....trail running. I run in altra Lone Peaks if it is not too muddy and my trusty Inov8's when it is. I feel much more secure in trail shoes, and fall less. Yes, fall....I have fallen lots of times including right off the edge of the trail into a tree on the Mt Oxford race! In trail running, it's not 'if' you fall but 'when'! As I started running at 49 and trails at 50, and was overweight, I was very scared of falling. After I had fallen a few times I didn't worry so much. I am still very careful on wet rocks, and I don't fly downhill like the youngsters do, and I walk if I am worried, but I still enjoy it so much.

It's worse when you are tired, as you don't lift you feet so much and you tend to trip over sticks and rocks. But falling is part of trail running. However my balance has got MUCH better and I don't fall nearly as much

I have just re read this and it seems like I spend my life face down in the mud! It's not that bad but if you run trails you will fall sooner or later.

To get started pick easy trails around the edges of local parks etc and then pick up the technicality. Run short technical (steep, rocky) trails first so you are not too tired. You can always run out and back if the loops are too far at first

Have fun

And I didn't run yesterday, I walked 10km though.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #27  
Trying to be in the 160s

4.5 miles, alone. Up and down hills.

Quote:
IanG - Do you run to the bar, drink, and run home?
Nope nonameslob. We run about 2-3 miles. Drink (from a van that meets us at a location that is stocked with beer).

Run another 1-2 miles. And drink more from the van. Sometimes the police bust us. And we run away!

Then (optional) go to a bar.

At least that is how it works in DC.

In the UK, we would run from a bar and return to the bar.

Last edited by IanG; 05-01-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #28  

I'm laughing at Ian running from the police when drunk....can you run straight!?!

I did NOT run yesterday, I didn't even walk! I did however visit A and E twice, once with my own son, with a burn to his arm....you would think an 18 year old boy could use a kitchen grill safely, wouldn't you? He's fine though, just a burn to his arm.
Then again with a neighbour boy. His mum is an intensive care nurse and was at work. He is 18 as well and was home with his 14 year old sister. Sister phones me worried...I take one look and back off to A and E we go, where his mum meets me. He got kicked in the face at soccer practice. He had concussion, a fractured cheekbone and a cut by his eye requiring 6 stitches.....

Here's hoping for a better day today. I am just waiting for hubby to get ready and we are off up the hills again. As long as the neighbourhood boys can manage to look after themselves for an hour or two I should get a run shortly!

Auto
Old 05-02-2015, 10:27 PM   #29  

Height: 5'3"

Default Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Hi all!

I've seen this thread and I have to say it has inspired me. I've been trying to get myself back into running and it's taking a bit longer than I'd like... kind of like my weight loss...

Anyway, a little background... I guess you would say I was a fairly serious "runner"... I ran x-country in H.S. and college and I use to run and race for club in NYC... I ran fairly competitively... My PR's were sub 19:00 minutes for 5k's and sub 38:00 minutes for 10k's... And my half marathon PR was 1:25... I've only run 2 marathons... The New York City Marathon and the Philadelphia Marathon, both awesome experiences...

I also got into triathlons and even did an Ironman... I did Ironman USA in Lake Placid... It was a long day, but I did finish... So that's a 2.4 mi swim, a 112 mi bike, and 26.2mi run... My marathon "split" was 5:29, so that really was a very long day...

So here I am just wanting to get back into running because I truly do love it... And this week I've managed to get out twice so far... I'm not back to full "running" just yet, but I've been covering about 6 mi out and back on one of my favorite trails that I used to run all the time... And I was truly amazed by how "light" on my feet I still felt... So who knows, but I think I see a running "comeback" in my future...
Wow..and you thought that this thread was inspirational??? Your whole message was inspirational- the amount of success you've add and the amount of miles you've ran is incredible - makes me look like an ant! ahahaha. Nice job- thx for the good read.

And.....YES- i did run today for 50 minutes- it was after a 26 hour fasting period...which made it a very grueling run...but I definitely felt good and proud of myself when it was all said and done! yay me!

-Daniela
Daniela Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #30  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniela Hernandez View Post
Wow..and you thought that this thread was inspirational??? Your whole message was inspirational- the amount of success you've add and the amount of miles you've ran is incredible - makes me look like an ant! ahahaha. Nice job- thx for the good read.

And.....YES- i did run today for 50 minutes- it was after a 26 hour fasting period...which made it a very grueling run...but I definitely felt good and proud of myself when it was all said and done! yay me!

-Daniela
Thank You so much Daniela! You're inspired me to get out and run today!

All that running I did was a few years ago now... And I did put on a lot of weight since then... BUT 50lbs gone so far!!! and only a few more to go... Now I'm really just looking forward to settling in an enjoying the "ride"...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote