Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 AM   #1  
Mandy

S/C/G: 153/153/120

Height: 5'5'' or 165cm

Default Best quick home exercises?

I have an issue - my schedule is getting hectic. I was going to the gym 5-6 times a week with a smile on my face and enjoying my results. But suddenly, college and a play and friends visiting from college and replacement classes from last year and all my days are completely, 100% full. It's so annoying to have to go to the gym 3x a week this week. I live a completely sedentary life, and I really do feel like I need the exercise. But some days, I just switch between classes and rehearsals and barely have the time to eat!

I know a good exercise should be at least 30min, so I guess that's the minimum I'm going for. Does anyone know any good exercises to do at home between classes or at night at home? Fave videos or something? I'd really appreciate it!
wendybirdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

My first tip would be to just bite the bullet and wake up earlier and go to the gym. I wake up 4.30-5.00am most days to fit it in.

But if you really must be home based, try running (outside). For strength do planks, sit ups, press ups, squats and lunges (perhaps weighted with bags of sugar). Or Insanity.

I like gyms because they force you to take time out and it's a space to exercise in. Which creates greater discipline/a stronger habit.

Exercising at home can be like working at home in that it may not suit everyone.

Last edited by IanG; 03-28-2015 at 11:29 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/170

Height: 5'8"

Google The Fitnessista. She's a military wife who's a fitness instructor, and she has a ton of workouts available for free. Her winter/summer shape ups are all great. All stuff you can do at home with just a set of free weights or body weight for the most part. She's got a mix of strength, cardio, tabata, barre, etc...

That's what I'm doing- I live pretty far from most of the good gyms, and I'm finally more consistent on the strength training and it's been awesome.
Eydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:30 PM   #4  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

I tried going to the gym multiple times and just really hated it, so all my non-dance class exercises are based at not the gym.

I like to run/walk outside and find it preferable to a treadmill for sure. This may be easier or not depending on your climate. I don't really like to run when it's less than 20F outside but sometimes do, and I don't mind a run in the rain. Cycling is also a good outdoor option. You can plan some nice running/cycling routes for different lengths of time that will start and stop at your doorstep - allowing you to choose based on your available time.

I purchased some weightlifting equipment that I keep under my bed and pull out when lifting. I follow a strength training program and have modified the exercises for my available equipment (e.g., I don't have a cable machine but can use dumbbells to achieve a similar effect, or a squat rack so I do front squats instead of back squats). I've also modified some exercises for safety reasons. Instead of bench lifting with a barbell, I use dumbbells.

Regarding videos, I've enjoyed 30 day shred in the past. I heard good things about the fitnessblender website as well. If you have a cable or satellite TV package they can have exercise videos/programs to choose from at your convenience as well.

If you'd like to better squeeze in proper gym time, you could make sure you were attending one located in a convenient area (apartment complex gym or your college gym) and have a bag pre-packed with a change of clothes and toiletries. You could arrive from school, have your gym time, quickly shower and change after, then go to your rehearsal straight from the gym.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #5  
300+ Chick

I am a stay at home caregiver to my mom..I do home exercise that is simple and do at your own pace like marching in place, do side steps, walk and kick, walking indoors is great and put your fave music to make the time goes quick,..

If you have stairs, climb!! It counts too!

Good luck to you..
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:38 AM   #6  

From my side Yoga is the best exercise for healthy life it give you peace and free from mental disease
AllenHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: Sw 176.4 / Cw 149 / Gw 142

Height: 5'6"

I have a cross trainer in the garage... You've just reminded me to get out there and use it!

Anni
Annii2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #8  

Default Best Home Exercises

As per my experience Yoga is best exercise for stay healthy and active. Until the day I tried it, even I did not have any idea how wonderful and powerful it is.
tyler337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:26 AM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

Mike Chang on YouTube... his channel is called SixPackShortcuts..... very easy to find. Pretty useful/entertaining stuff.

-Daniela
Daniela Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #10  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Another fan of fitnessblender.com here! and I have a very small space in my living room, 5' x 7' and I can do everything in that limited area.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 416 / 363.4 / 250

Height: 5'9"

Leslie Sansone has some 15-20 minute Walk At Home videos that are really fun! This coming from someone who would rather sit and crochet than exercise!
MaeCrochet is offline   Reply With Quote