Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #1  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Mixing cardio and weight training?

I am trying to figure out the best way to include weight training into my workouts. Right now I am doing 30 mins on the treadmill. I get home from work around 6:30 and get to the gym around 7. I don't have much time there because I cannot be eating dinner at 9pm or later and I can;t eat before because it gives me cramps.

Does anyone do cardio and follow it up with weight training? Or do you just split the days?
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Rarely I do both in monster 90 minute sessions but only if I can't get to the gym twice. I like to split my sessions and do two gym sessions a day. One for cardio, one for weights.

For me it is not an effective strategy to combine. If I lift heavy weights, I cannot follow that up with a run that pushes me. If I run first, I can't lift as heavy. It's such a waste.

So I would split your days. But give whatever you are doing on that day 100%. Push it.

Finish that treadmill run in no shape to do weights afterwards.

Finish your weights in no shape to run.

Job done.

Last edited by IanG; 02-26-2015 at 11:14 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I think it depends on what you're doing and what you have time for. It actually sounds like you only have time for one or the other, and that's fine, even preferred! Though remember to do a warmup before weights.

But if you would rather do both on the same day, I personally think that is fine, especially if you are not "lifting heavy" like Ian and also not doing super intense or long cardio. Are you only walking on the treadmill? If that's the case, then it is definitely not a problem at all. Just listen to your body, and if it actually does feel fatigued, then don't do both on the same day.

I usually do a shorter (15-20 min), less intense cardio session before weight training. I only do about 30 min of weight training and I only do it once or twice a week as I'm simply trying to keep the muscles I have, not actively trying to build. It works for me! Do what works for you
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:59 PM   #4  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

I agree with nonameslob...it really depends on what your goals are for the strength training. Are you trying to build your strength? Retain muscle as you lose weight? Increase your muscle mass? Work on muscle endurance? That will determine the type of program you want to follow, time a workout takes, and how you combine it with cardio.

I'm a bit like Ian in that I don't lift in the same session as my cardio activities. I haven't managed to force myself back into running yet, but I do a lot of Irish dance practice and I need to put all my focus and effort into working on my steps. If my muscles are fatigued from lifting (and I do lift "heavy" - for me anyway!), I can't put my entire effort into dance practice. And by the time I'm done practicing dance, my feet and legs are not up for heavy lifting. When I do get back into running, I'll be running in the mornings before work so I can retain the evenings for lifting and not do both in one session.

However, depending on the strength program you want to follow, like nonameslob said combining both may totally be the way to go. It depends on your goals and what works for you!

So, I'd say get your goals for strength training straight, pick a program to follow, then do some experimentation of doing both in one session vs. splitting the days to see which fits best into your schedule and fitness goals.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #5  

If you have limited time at the gym then I would split them up. Cardio one day and weights the next. Besides your body often needs to rest between weight workouts.
melanieballantino is offline   Reply With Quote