People who look at your machine display while working out.

• Yesterday at the gym two completely different girls kept looking over at my machine as I ran on the treadmill(you know the part that shows how long you've ran, mph, calories burned etc). I kept trying to ignore it but it got so distracting that I really didn't get to enjoy my workout like I usually do. I never worry about what others are doing in the gym. Am I over reacting? Has anyone experienced this? What do people get out of that?
  • I try to see the positive in it, maybe you were inspiring them to go faster/longer/harder incline.

It's annoying as heck but there is nothing you can do really. Unless maybe you bring a gym towel and drape it over?
  • I've done it before. Curiosity, I guess. Motivation. Inspiration. Repeatedly, though? Okay, that's rude and annoying. I don't know that I'd confront them, but definitely try the towel trick. I like to do that for myself so I'm not focusing on my own time/calories/etc. (though actually I just take my glasses off, can't see! ha!)
  • I look at other people's displays all the time. It helps pass the time. It comes from my early days when I used to race friends on the treadmill...first to 5k.

I wouldn't worry about it. If it does worry you, do what others have said and cover it.
  • Yes, and when I finished, the woman on the treadmill next to me said: "What workout were you doing?"

I'd been doing intervals of a minute of full-out running fast as possible and then walking for two minutes ... I was following the cardio workout outlined in New Rules of Lifting for Women.

She just seemed curious about interval training.
  • Everyone's so positive about it haha it actually really bothers me too?? What I usually do is I get the paper the gym teachers use to write my workout on and cover some of the stats. They usually stop then.
  • Lol...I can see where that can be annoying- especially if you're working hard/sweating. The thing is- how close do they get when they look at your machine? If they get really close- then THAT'S definitely annoying. If they're staring from a distance, I'd find that less annoying.

-Daniela
  • Look, everyone is looking at everything in a gym. That's what happens in a gym. And, most of the time, people are looking at things much worse than a treadmill display. When I squat, eyes are on my @rse.

Just ignore it.

What other people think about you is none of your business.
  • Yeah, I see how that could be bothersome. I think sometimes people are just curious or nosy, maybe insecure (competitive), seeking inspiration, bored, etc. If it's this noticeable, though, it seems excessive imho. Even though it's a gym and people watching happens, I don't see an excuse for being intrusive.

How about making eye contact with them when they look over? I find people who sneak peeks tend to feel shy once the other party makes it obvious they're aware they're being watched. Maybe look over and give them a smile every time they do it? A little awkward, yep, but hopefully once or twice will send the message. If that doesn't work, you could also look over at them, smile, and take a look at their display... though that's really bordering on the snarky. :P
  • I've looked to see what training program they are doing, and I often look to see women who have the same body type as me-to check on their program. If it was a problem for them, I'd assume they'd say something, but I'm not blatant about it.
  • I basically do this.

They either look away awkwardly, or I trip and fall off the treadmill.

Either way, they stop looking at the machine screen.
  • I used to surreptitiously look. It was me measuring myself against that person- was I moving as fast as they were? Could I go as long as they did? I'd take it as a compliment- you're motivating that person.