Half Marathon

• I was always pretty athletic growing up - but I was more into basketball/tennis than I was into running. I was not a fan of running.

I plan on running a half marathon in April for charity. I've already started to train for it.... which may be SUPER early but I wanted a head start.

I am nervous I won't be prepared for it on time. I am not running this competitively, I am just looking to finish in a reasonable amount of time.

Anyone have any advice on half marathon training?
  • I'm training for a 10km (a quarter of a marathon!) next week and I'm also a little worried. I've been training for three weeks and I have one week left. I run every other day 5-7km, depends on the route I take and how I feel. Every other day that I don't run, I try to go for a long walk or go cycling. How do you train?
    I plan to go on a half marathon next year too.
  • I run 4 miles a day. Every now and again, once or twice a week, I do a long run at the weekend. Just build up the long run: first 5 miles, then 6 miles, then 7 and so on.

I managed to reach 12 miles pretty quickly and I am sure I could do 13. I find having a good base is the best thing to do. In other words, as long as I keep running my daily short 4 mile runs I can bang out a long run when I need to without having to train for it (as long as I have run that distance before).

The other issue I find with runs over, say, 8 miles is that you do start to ache and tire in places you may not be used to. So once you reach the higher distances expect to go home, eat and sleep.