Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default Wrist weights?

Hey everyone!

My goal for September was to get at least an hour of exercise, six days a week. I wear a Fitbit all day, every day. My job is pretty sedentary (reception at the local Y) but I use walking as my primary form of exercise. In the first half of the month, I walked a total of 106 miles, and succeeded in my activity goal. I haven't added up the final numbers yet (I'll do that tomorrow!)

Anyway, my question is about wrist weights. I'm a pretty fast walker (I can easily cover 5 miles in an hour) and so now at this point I'm looking for a way to step it up, so to speak. I'd love to be able to start the Couch to 5K program, but here on the east coast of Canada, winter is coming and there's no way I'd be done with the program before there's snow on the ground. I guess maybe I could do it on the treadmill and then do it again outside once winter's over....

I digress. I tend to do that.

I was wondering if anyone here has used wrist weights to add resistance when walking. I figure it will raise my heart rate and also maybe tone my arms a little bit.

Any tips?
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #2  
Just Me...Lee.

Height: 6'4"

Wrist weights are better than NO weight but I wouldn't expect a huge difference.I like to wear a backpack and load if with a few water bottles that I'll likely end up drinking during the walk anyway, lol. (pack some extras....)
Just_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #3  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

The backpack is a good idea in theory, and I'm sure for most people it would be ideal....but I have early-onset osteoarthritis of the spine and heavy weights on my back are a bit of a no-no.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I think your treadmill digression is the correct course of action.

Time to pick up the pace.

Last edited by IanG; 09-30-2014 at 08:36 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote