Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #1  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Default Back of the Pack

Hey everyone!

I did a couch to 5K program back in January with a local running group and ever since have been training with their slowest pace group. I was in the middle of the pack during the beginner program, but now that I have graduated to the regular training I am always far, far behind the other runners. I often lose sight of them while I am training ... I've even gotten lost more than once! Usually it doesn't bother me, but sometimes I get so discouraged.

Is anyone else doing something similar? How do you handle the feeling of not measuring up?
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/192/145

Height: 5'5"

I am surprised they don't have someone stay with you. I went with a walking group and I was always behind. They would wait up but I felt like I was taking up their time. That is great you are running and have finished the beginner program.
lorib64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #3  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

There is a trainer, but she has to go back and forth between the fast people and the slow people. She usually checks on me every ten minutes or so (we run for an hour). Sometimes she makes the rest of the group turn around and run back to me. I get the feeling they are getting irritated because I can't go any faster.

I have a friend that is slow like me, but she misses a lot of workouts and usually only runs about half the time when she comes. My husband feels so bad for me that he has started running just to keep me company ... but I can tell that he will be moving into one of the faster groups before much longer.

I try to remind myself that someone is always going to be slowest and I need to keep going, but it's hard.
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #4  

I know it sucks, I have a similar situation with my cycling club.

You are 196 pounds, it's going to slow you down. Not being mean but just reality. Keep going with running and keep going with weightloss and my guess is when you have lost 20-30 pounds you will be able to keep up with the back of the group (or better!) also don't forget how much you have already achieved!!

So just keep going. You will get there if you keep going but probably not if you stop now! How about you promise to yourself to go for say the next year, and if it still isn't working after that you find a new club or a new activity?

Another thought is, see if you can get some of the others who did the beginners program with you to join you? Or some other friends to do the beginners program so they can join you soon (even if they are faster they can still be supportive!)

And if people are getting frustrated don't worry. If you stick at it and don't give up, they will stop being frustrated and start being impressed/inspired!

Good luck and try and have some fun with running too!
Valmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #5  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

Oh boy do I know the feeling! I tried to get involved with a local hiking meet-up because I love hiking and i'm usually the only one wanting to go. I felt bad that I was so slow and holding them back. They were really nice and encouraging but I couldn't get passed the feeling like a burden so I didn't do anymore meetup hikes.

I feel like I'm in a difficult transition spot of wanting to be more active but the friends/family don't want to and community groups are too advanced for me to keep up. I'm trying to push myself to go it alone.
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolMom75 View Post
Oh boy do I know the feeling! I tried to get involved with a local hiking meet-up because I love hiking and i'm usually the only one wanting to go. I felt bad that I was so slow and holding them back. They were really nice and encouraging but I couldn't get passed the feeling like a burden so I didn't do anymore meetup hikes.

I feel like I'm in a difficult transition spot of wanting to be more active but the friends/family don't want to and community groups are too advanced for me to keep up. I'm trying to push myself to go it alone.
Yes this exactly!! Everything I want to do that involves physical activity, no friends/family want to do that no matter what it is. Sometimes I can make my teenager join me but not consistently and frankly, I want to be with someone who WANTS to be there, not just dragged out by his mom lol.

I haven't found a good outdoors group here to join. In fact, the only one I've found is a mountain hiking group that i am in NO way interested in....I want to hike regular, easy trails around here and get outside more, NOT climb mountain ridges for overnight camping treks.

And I DO NOT want to go out alone because there are wayyyyy too many bears in the area. Not that anyone's been mauled lately (maybe never) but I want to relax and hike, not jump at every sound in the woods.
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #7  

Yep, you know what I'm talking about. Sometimes I drag the kids and/or hubby out but a fellow enthusiast would be preferred. Wish I could help you watch out for bears. Lol
Old 10-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tefrey View Post
Hey everyone!

I did a couch to 5K program back in January with a local running group and ever since have been training with their slowest pace group. I was in the middle of the pack during the beginner program, but now that I have graduated to the regular training I am always far, far behind the other runners. I often lose sight of them while I am training ... I've even gotten lost more than once! Usually it doesn't bother me, but sometimes I get so discouraged.

Is anyone else doing something similar? How do you handle the feeling of not measuring up?
I'm inspired just reading this! I could never join a running group, that's soooo intimidating. I can hardly keep up with anyone so I like to go by myself and not have the stress of keeping up with someone else's level. I can imagine that would make me feel bad. But if you need the companionship then definitely stick with it because it WILL get better. Listen, I know it can be hard to think that you're holding others back but don't sweat it, nobody is really thinking that, that's why they're running off ahead of you lol. Nobody really cares what you're doing, you're giving yourself much importance. Everybody is out there to push themselves and worry about their own selves. So enjoy, run and think about how different things will be soon enough as long as you stick with it.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 129/127.5/112

Height: 5'0.5" (It matters!)

I'm about to have this exact problem! There's a new "marathon training group" just started at my university. Apparently its for all abilities, and they want beginners to help train up so that we can do relay races for charity in May. But... I'm terrified. I'm only just managing week 5 day 1 of C25K, which is 3 sets of 5 minute jogs AND I'm super slow. They split the groups into beginners and advanced but I KNOW I'm going to be at the back of the beginners. The first run is 2.5 miles.. I can't do that. I'll have to stop to walk. I want to go for it, because I know that it's a case of I have to do these things to improve, but I really don't wanna be embarrassing
cantgetenoughchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:00 AM   #10  

Good luck cantgetenough! It sounds like fun and will be good for that push you're looking for.