Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/268/190 lb.(125/122/86 kg)

Height: 6'2" (188 cm). Age 60.

Default Cycling, getting back on the saddle.

I am hoping this thread will not fade out due to self-sabotage.
Ten years ago I started cycling to lose weight, and did very well.
But I stopped cycling a few years ago and put on more weight than I had before.
I am sick and tired (literally) of being too heavy.

I am now 60. Both my knees are weak from doing no exercise and avoiding putting any weight on them.
I basically sit all day at the computer doing the forums dance.
I am hoping to forget about all other forums and just visit this one.
I am hoping to get some advice, motivation, tough-love, and anything else that will encourage me to reach my goal.

Today I got on my mountain bike instead, (I look too out of place on my road bike ... I know, vanity).
I only rode five kilometers because my knees were aching and my butt started to get sore already.
I will wait another day before doing it again.
2heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #2  

Today, I feel my knees and legs have recovered okay for another spin.
I just posted on another thread that described my current cycling goal/routine.

Spinning in a low gear, and riding on flat surfaces is my current riding routine (if you call that a routine). I know that if I spin at about 90-100 rpm at a heart rate of about 75% of my maximum (220-age) I will burn the most fat than in any other pedaling range/zone. I have proven this to myself in the past.
If one is not used to it, it can be difficult, not because it is hard on muscles but on cardiovascular system. It requires good breathing and blood flow. I know mine is clogged up a bit, and I need to work up to those pedaling parameters (90rpm@75%maxHR). The main parameter to watch is to stay at 75%MHR (easy to do), then slowly, day by day, increase pedaling rpm to 90-100 while not going over that 75%MHR.

Has anybody got any other suggestions to help my to burn off fat while cycling?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #3  

Just rode my old 10 km around town circuit, well sort of. It contains two hills and my knees won't handle it at this stage, so I rode around them. So I actually rode 11.5 kms.
I also was not too rickety carrying my bike up to my first floor unit. So I am very happy with that.

So far my legs are okay, but tomorrow morning will be the true indicator.
Unfortunately some of my toes are itchy and sore. They are too fat and it's obvious they were rubbing against each other while I was riding. I never experienced that before.

Lost a kilo yesterday. I did not do much to burn fat, so it's most probably just water.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #4  
Still Chubby

S/C/G: 79.8/72.5/66kg

Height: 172cm

Its great to hear you've decided to get back into a form of exercise you enjoyed before! It sounds like you are pretty well informed on the subject of cycling and are off to a great (re)start.

Just popping in to say you're awesome for getting out there. I look forward to reading about your adventures.
tinneranne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 AM   #5  

Thank you Tinneranne2 for your reply and encouragement.
Hope you are achieving, or moving towards, your goals.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #6  

Yesterday I did not ride my 10 km ride as planned. Other important and immediate plans took over.

The odd thing was that this morning I discovered I nearly lost another kg. I actually ate a little more than I planned, but the foods were completely different (no processed stuff).

Today there is no work for me, the sun is out (I can smell Spring coming around the corner), and I'll go for a ride a.s.a.p. - Bye.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #7  

Had a good ride today (another 11.5 km). It felt better than two days ago.

My knees were feeling better too. I did feel it strain under heavier gears.
A good test, for me, is to pedal while standing up. I managed five pedal strokes today. I think I will try to add to that every time I go for a ride.

I can foresee that I will soon be extending the 11.5 km ride. When I do, I will need to take some water with me, so not to dehydrate.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #8  

Default Started using weights.

After yesterday's ride, I felt some weakness in the joints, but nothing more than I was used to. So last night, just before dinner, I decided to do some weight-training.
I know that doing any squats (unweighted) would see me collapse to the floor. I think I am not yet ready for that, because I have a lot of trouble just squatting down to get into a car.
Instead, I tried to do several leg extensions on the home mini-gym. I used a 20 kg weight. I managed to reach 30 extensions. I decided that one set was enough for the time being.
After that, my legs were wonky for several hours, especially when standing up after sitting down for awhile.
I am looking forward to when I no longer have to use some sort of support to stand up, or sit down.

This morning, my knees have recovered enough for another ride.
My upper inner leg gets a skin abrasion from riding. It recovers the next day, but it reappears after a ride. So I will stick with the 11.5 km ride until the abrasions decrease, before extending the ride distance.
I am looking forward to doing two laps.

Any feedback?
Old 07-26-2014, 06:13 AM   #9  

Today I rode another 11.5 km. This time I was able to ride most of it one gear harder without realizing any difference. This pleases me greatly.
The other thing too, was that I was able to ride out of the saddle, while going up a slope, for 35 pedal strokes. My knee is getting stronger, of the muscles and tendons around the knee are firming up.

Tomorrow will be Sunday, the last day of my first week. My ride distances (km) so far is as follows:
Mon = 5
Tue = 5
Wed = 11.5
Thu = 0
Fri = 11.5
Sat = 11.5
= 44.5 km.
If I can manage 15.5 km tomorrow (Sunday), I'll reach 60 kms for my first week. I would be very happy with that.
Even if I decide to give my inner upper leg abrasion a rest day, the 44.5 km for my first week back on the bike is plenty indeed.

When it was time to start my ride, I noticed my posture was not sloughing as much. I felt more confidence in my being. It felt good to feel more alive again.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #10  

Good morning. It's Sunday and I feel a bit of tension in my legs. Knees are still a bit rickety. I'll go for a spin shortly and see how I go.

This morning was my last weigh-in for my first week of recovery. My body lost 3 kg (7 lbs) so far. I suspect it is the early loss of excess water. Hard to imagine it to be all fat. I also suspect that the weight loss rate will drop quickly to my old rate of 0.7 kg (1.5 lbs) per week. But this time I am on a different food plan.

What do you think, is it possible to lose more weight per week, yet gain fitness and strength?

I no longer wish to be a competitive road racer, it takes up too much time in training. I just want to ride my bike for the fun of it, trim right down to my goal weight, and pursue art.

After this post, I decided to give my body a rest day, the upper inner leg abrasion needs another 24 hrs of recovery.
I suppose I'll have to be more on guard with what I eat, especially if I am not going to burn calories by exercising...damn!

Last edited by 2heavy; 07-26-2014 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Change of plan.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #11  
He is Risen! Alleluia!

S/C/G: 205/181.5/145

Height: 5'5"

Seems like you know what you're doing in regards to cycling. I've started indoor cycling about 2ish months ago. I've improved vastly. I definitely have a lot more strength in my legs that I did before.

What do you wear when riding? Are you're shorts too short which is causing the abrasion? I know I had some issues with that when I wore short shorts on the bike. I switched to yoga pants or capris and haven't had any issues since.

What type of eating plan are you following?

I know I've always heard you should lose more than 2lbs per week. A lot of reasons for this like allowing the skin time to shrink with your body and to be sure you're losing fat and not muscle. Anytime you seem people pulling big numbers each week is usually them losing fat and muscle. It seems like a low #, but that would equal 8 lbs a month which is pretty darn good. I know you mentioned Kilos, so sorry if there's confusion!
FleurDeLis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #12  

Hi FleurDelis,
Thank you for your response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurDeLis View Post
Seems like you know what you're doing in regards to cycling. I've started indoor cycling about 2ish months ago. I've improved vastly. I definitely have a lot more strength in my legs that I did before.

What do you wear when riding? Are you're shorts too short which is causing the abrasion? I know I had some issues with that when I wore short shorts on the bike. I switched to yoga pants or capris and haven't had any issues since.
I normally wear Lycra shorts when riding my road bike, which I use for rides over 20 km (30 mi). Otherwise, I ride my mountain bike with normal summer attire. My abrasion is more to do with seating posture. I get the same abrasive results on either bike and attire, even when I use creams as well. The cause of it is that one of my upper right leg is shorter by 3/4 inch (2 cm). All sorts of things have been tried (some are used now) to make for best compensation. As a result my shorter limb rotates a greater angle and it rubs more over the right edge of the seat.
My skin at the moment is too soft. once I get some thicker skin build up, all will be well again.

What type of eating plan are you following?
Cutting out the sugars and grains, and more protein. Going back to how my grandparents prepared and cooked food (no more processed stuff).

I know I've always heard you should lose more than 2lbs per week. A lot of reasons for this like allowing the skin time to shrink with your body and to be sure you're losing fat and not muscle. Anytime you seem people pulling big numbers each week is usually them losing fat and muscle. It seems like a low #, but that would equal 8 lbs a month which is pretty darn good. I know you mentioned Kilos, so sorry if there's confusion!
8 lbs 3.6 kg), that is almost a 1 kg per week. YES, that is something I would like to do.
When exercising there seems to be a bit of a balancing act between weight loss and strength gain. I am happy when there is a bit of both.
I find it a bit illusive in ways. One can loss weight but not gain actual strength, yet appears to be stronger because there is less weight to carry.
However, my goals are different now. I just want to use cycling as a means to keep a degree of vitality (which I miss having). But then again, I may not be able to resist testing my limits and compete again.
Thank you again FleurDelis.