Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #1  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

Default Cardio and "fitness"

Hi ladies and gents,
I have an odd question and I wonder if anyone else has run into this.

I feel like I'm not getting any "fitter" than I was at a heavier weight and it's driving me nuts. I go to the gym 4 days a week and it's a lot of jump-rope and drills, which tire me, and no running. The running is what gets me. I can't run; honestly even the stairs still get me sometimes, even with the weight loss. I try to run and I make it maybe 2 minutes before I'm breathless and tired and "out-of-shape." I can do MAYBE a 10 minute mile if I push myself, and I know I am supposed to push myself, but it seems that no matter how hard I push I don't seem to get any better. Has anyone run into this? Any tips on what I should do to improve? Do I just keep running? Is it a lack of cardio that's making me feel as "unfit" as I was?

Thanks for listening!
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I have run into this before playing sports in high school for several years. Long distance cardio is a hard thing for me to build up resistance to. I think everyone is different on how well they build cardio endurance, and unfortunately some of us just take longer than others. If you keep running or jogging consistently, and slowly going longer distances (like another 0.25 or 0.5 mile every couple of weeks) you will get better at running, I promise. It just takes some time.
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW194/CW144/GW140

Height: 5.10

Do you enjoy running? If you don't enjoy it, it makes it harder to improve. If your focused on cardio, try changing to elliptical or bike. If you like those better.

I run a little but found that I like lifting weights better. I truly believe people are apt for different exercises. First, find the exercise you love.
hiddenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/154.6/135

Height: 5'6"

A 10 minute mile isn't that bad just so you know. That's pretty average and for someone who is "out of shape" that's a fast mile. You have to be going 6mph to have a 10 minute mile. I would suggest doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) this is where you might full spring for 1 minute and then recover for 2 minutes. The ratios and intensities depend on your comfort level and abilities etc. You should google this, and it helps me a lot!!

Also, start weight training and build that muscle up. It helps when you run to be able to carry your body weight whatever that might be.

Best of luck and don't get discouraged, you got this!!
CaityCait88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

I was also going to recommend sprinting. I feel like my whole level of fitness went up several notches as soon as I started. I had been walking (mostly strenuous hills, but also some speed work) and not running at all, so I was pretty unsure when I started, but so happy I did. Sometimes I go to the beach and do 30 second sprints w 4 minutes of walking recovery time on the boardwalk (I've seen people sprinting on the loose sand, which is mind boggling!) and sometimes I do it at a park near home where there's a 1/2 mile circle and there I have two stretches per circle where I sprint, so I think both my sprints and my recovery time is shorter. Since I started doing this, I've had a hard time keeping my walks to walking. I keep finding myself running w/o realizing it.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

It's because you keep trying to do things fast. You probably started with running at at 14 minute mile - felt you couldn't do it. Now at a 10 minute mile and felt you couldn't do it, but obviously, you can see that you are getting better, just that you don't know how to pace yourself.!

Like, I walk... I always walk as fast as my legs and lungs will take me. At higher weights and less fit that might mean 3 miles an hour, as I get fitter, 4 miles an hour, etc. Still hard, but pace is different!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

If you enjoy running, try something like the Couch to 5k program. It will help you build endurance, and if you are running a 10 minute mile right now you will improve quickly I'd bet.

And I second Caity's comment -- a 10 minute mile is a GREAT starting point. I think my first ever full single mile run was completed at a 17 or 18:something pace -- and it had taken me a few months of effort to get to that point!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #8  
Dropweight Diva

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

A ten minute mile is great! It took me a while to work up to a ten minute mile. Everyone has given awesome advice, but I would like to add that, if you enjoy running, you might want to look into proper breathing technique if you haven't already. I'm a deep breather naturally from being a singer and instrumentalist, but there was some things I learned that helped a lot with my endurance in running. Pacing breathing and whatnot. I have exercise induced asthma, so proper breathing is a big deal to me, but I thought it might help you out some.
Song of Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

I have the same problem with running!! I simply can not breath after few minutes((( But i discovered for myself cycling! this is a real treasure! you should try it. almost the same as running but you can breath at least;-)
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Here is the thing that applies to all endurance sports. It never gets easier you just go faster.

If you want to be better at running the best way to do so is running. The old saying "miles build champions" is true. Jump roping, sprinting, biking, swiming or other cardio will help but nothing will helping improve your running like running.

Like any training, if you do so randomly you'll get subpar results. The best results will come from time and consistancy and following a program. Couch 2 5k is a good one but if you can actually manage a 10 minute mile you should look into something more advanced.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #11  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

These are awesome awesome suggestions! Thanks everyone for your input I will look into the couch 2 5k and the interval training. I had not heard the saying that miles make champions before but it is an important thing to consider, hopefully I can change my mindset along with my fitness level!
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #12  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Just keep running. My first run when I was 220lbs lasted half a mile and I was a sweaty mess. I got straight back up and did it the next day and the next. Slowly I would inch my distance up. 0.75 miles, 1 mile, 2 miles, 3 miles, 5k, 4 miles, 5 miles, 6 miles, 10 k, 10 miles, 12 miles. And sometimes I would run shorter but as fast as I could.

My heart is a lot heathier. Screw what they say about cholesterol and diet. If you want to get good numbers, do cardio. My BP is down too as is my pulse. My lungs are also great. I rarely get out of breath.

Best of all, it does help with weightloss. But I have had to be careful since long runs were burning muscle and fat. I've pulled back my mileage now to maintain a physique that I like. I don't like the long-distance runner look. Looking 'gaunt' is what made me give up dieting before.

And I get the runners high afterwards. Nice.

Last edited by IanG; 06-05-2014 at 04:56 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote