3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Couch-to-5k Graduates Unite! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/296253-couch-5k-graduates-unite.html)

Novus 06-09-2014 05:33 PM

This article - 10 Reasons Running Doesn't Suck As Much As You Think - is very funny and awesome. Enjoy! :D

BigChiefHoho 06-11-2014 09:55 AM

Haha, that was great, Novus! I'll have to try that tip about running before happy hour.

I just finished a 2 mile run, and it felt WAY harder than the 4-mile one I did yesterday. I think it's because I didn't have time to warm up adequately, but it's still irritating. Also I did it during the morning commute time, so I felt like there were jerks staring at me the whole time. Bad morning to try out wearing short-shorts for the first time, lemme tell ya.

Novus 06-11-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefHoho (Post 5021641)
Also I did it during the morning commute time, so I felt like there were jerks staring at me the whole time. Bad morning to try out wearing short-shorts for the first time, lemme tell ya.

Oh dear. :lol:

I wasn't planning to run today but I really really really wanted to, so I did. I was going to try to do intervals of 3 min run - 1 min walk but somehow I got confused so I kinna just ran with some walking thrown in. Oh well, it all worked out in the end. :D

And the funny-annoying thing.....there is a railroad track I have to cross that's between my house and where I go to run. I got there after my run and there was a stopped train blocking the tracks. So I had to take a 2 mile detour, on a somewhat busy road, in the rain, to get home. Agh. :dizzy:

BigChiefHoho 06-13-2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novus (Post 5022002)
And the funny-annoying thing.....there is a railroad track I have to cross that's between my house and where I go to run. I got there after my run and there was a stopped train blocking the tracks. So I had to take a 2 mile detour, on a somewhat busy road, in the rain, to get home. Agh. :dizzy:

Hey, free exercise, right? :p Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago. I run on a dirt road that goes through a farm, and their cows somehow got out. They were all spread out across the road for about half a mile, so I wound up getting nervous and turning around the go the long long way around to get home.

Novus 06-13-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefHoho (Post 5022914)
I run on a dirt road that goes through a farm, and their cows somehow got out. They were all spread out across the road for about half a mile, so I wound up getting nervous and turning around the go the long long way around to get home.

I grew up on a dairy farm :moo: so this amused me greatly. :lol:

BigChiefHoho 06-14-2014 04:37 PM

Very educational run today.

Lesson 1: I can do my run a lot faster if I go faster from the very beginning instead of doing the first mile at practically walking pace.

Lesson 2: Starting too fast leads to doubling over in horrific abdominal agony, legs feeling like lead during and after the run, and overall misery.

Conclusion? Running slowly is way more fun so I'm just going to take it easy for a while.

Novus 06-15-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefHoho (Post 5023754)
Very educational run today.

Lesson 1: I can do my run a lot faster if I go faster from the very beginning instead of doing the first mile at practically walking pace.

Lesson 2: Starting too fast leads to doubling over in horrific abdominal agony, legs feeling like lead during and after the run, and overall misery.

Conclusion? Running slowly is way more fun so I'm just going to take it easy for a while.

Ut oh. :( Lesson learned, eh?

I headed out to run this morning, discovered it was 46 degrees, and went back inside. Me + cold running = no. So I waited a few hours for it warm up and then headed out. It took me forever to find my groove. By the time the run was almost over, I was really starting to feel it. Oh, well, that happens, I guess. Oh, and I've progressed to intervals of 3 min run/1 min walk. Yay.

Novus 06-16-2014 07:40 PM

Did intervals of 4 min run/1 min walk today! And I've dropped a whole minute from my pace time (13:49 to 12:47) in just a week. (Of course, that's partly because I've increased my run intervals.) It was 87 degrees out when I ran....I was sweating buckets and I got a pretty noticeable sunburn. I have such fair skin that just 30 minutes was enough for a burn.

I love running. Seriously. Love. :running:

How's everybody else doing? This thread is so quiet! Where are all the runners?

BigChiefHoho 06-17-2014 09:12 AM

Yeah, seriously. I feel like it's just you and me in here, Novus. Where's everybody else at?

Nice job on the 4:1 intervals, by the way. You're moving up really fast.

I did my longest run ever in my whole life last night. Five miles! Granted, it was very very slow (averaged 13:10 pace), but still. Five miles, people. It was awesome. And I didn't even feel like crap afterward!

Kitcherella 06-17-2014 02:52 PM

Another graduate here! I ran my first minute in August 2012 and graduated sometime in October. Since then I have run 2 5Ks and last April I ran a 10K. The sense of achievement is amazing, don't you think?

BigChiefHoho 06-18-2014 08:03 AM

Hi, Kitcherella, good to see you! Yeah, the sense of accomplishment is amazing. Having never been an athletic or physical person at all, I can safely say c25k was the first time I ever really tried to get my body to do ANYTHING, and I'm still amazed that it's working. Congrats on the 10k (and the 5ks, too!). I've got my first 5k scheduled in two weeks and I'm pretty excited. How did your first one go? Tell me stories, I love race reports. ;)

CrazyCatWoman 06-20-2014 02:39 AM

Hello All - welcome Kitcherella

I've just got back from a work trip for a few days and was really pleased that one way I could get to know a new city was to get up before the hotel breakfast and run. Okay, it was slower than usual - thanks to too much good food - but I did 3km the first two days and the 5km on the last day including hills I was not used to. The sense of achievement was huge! And it's such a lovely way to get to know a place better too.

I was just miffed that my runkeeper app didn't upload online.

And, when I came home and got on the scales, I was so pleased to not have put on more than 3 lbs. Unbelievable given the rubbish I eat from airports!

Keep on running.......

Kitcherella 06-20-2014 04:12 AM

Hello! I just came back from my morning run, 5.5km. The first part was great but the second was difficult. There was a strong headwind. I can't wait for the weekend. I am going to the beach - swimming and running on sand!
BigChiefHoho - Thanks! My first race was awesome. It was through the city and I enjoyed every minute (of the 36 it took me to finish). I was smiling the whole time and I felt quite emotional when I finished. I really loved the 10K because it was an even bigger challenge/accomplishment. I framed my medal, bib and a couple of pics. Good luck to you, you'll love it!
CrazyCatWoman - It is great when you run at different places. It is something I would never think about doing two years ago but now the first thing I pack is my Garmin and my running gear.

Robsia 06-20-2014 04:37 PM

I'm not currently a runner, but I wanted to chime in and share my experience.

Started C25K in August 2008 and had to stop after about two weeks as I was using cheap trainers and hurt my feet. Started again in October 2008 once my feet healed with proper expensive running shoes.

Graduated from the C25K and worked my way up to 10K. Did a 10K race in spring 2009 and came in at a quite respectable 61 mins.

However, when I started running, way back at the beginning of the C25K at about Week 3 I had said to my mum, somewhat jokingly "You never know - I might run a marathon one day!"

The memory of her laughing uproariously and not very nicely at the thought of me running a marathon stayed with me, and after the first 10K I began to think that, you know, maybe I could. So I entered the Virgin London Marathon for 2010. I didn't get a place which was good actually as that winter was VERY busy with work and I doubt I would have had time to train. I kept tootling long doing my 3, 4 and 5 mile runs. Did a second 10K that spring instead, but also entered for the Marathon again the following year. Only went and got a place, didn't I?

So winter 2010 and spring 2011 was taken up with some serious training and in April 2011 I ran the Virgin London Marathon - all 26.2 bloody miles of it.

I also hurt my foot and could barely walk for a month afterwards let alone run. Since then I kind of let things slide and I couldn't even run a mile now if you asked me. But it can be done. I started out at 213 lb. If I can do it, anyone can!

I wrote a novel based partly on my experiences which I'm not allowed to plug here, but the heroine is overweight and wants to lose weight and starts off with the C25K and - jokingly - mentions a marathon.

Her trainer says: "“Listen,” Ronan said, leaning over and covering her hands, holding them still where they were twisting nervously together. “Your body is an amazing machine and you will be surprised at the things it can do. It just needs a little training. Look at these people who run marathons. What makes them different to you?”

“About six stone!”

“But underneath that, they have the same bones and muscles as you, the same sinews and organs and everything. Your body has the capacity to run marathons—you just need help finding it. And you need to believe that you can do it or you will never do it. If you want to run a marathon I can train you to do that. You’re still young—you can do anything you want to, be anything you want to. The only thing stopping you is you!”

Linzi listened to his stirring words and wanted to believe him. She saw herself slim, lithe, beautiful—running effortlessly down a road and enjoying it.

“Okay. Let’s do this.” She felt a nervous grin spread over her face.

Novus 06-21-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robsia (Post 5027369)
“Your body is an amazing machine and you will be surprised at the things it can do. It just needs a little training. Look at these people who run marathons. What makes them different to you?”

I totally love this so very much! :love:

Happy to see some more peeps joining this thread. Running is so awesome everyone should be in here. :D

I had planned a run this morning but it's chilly and rainy....and I feel lazy. ;) So I think I'm just going to skip it today and wait until tomorrow to put on the running shoes.

Yesterday I treated myself to something I've wanted for a long time - Skull Candy earbuds! Both of my old pairs totally bit the dust. One pair was only playing music on one side. (So annoying.) And the foam covers on the other pair were falling apart and I was trying to prolong their life with bits of glue. :lol: My rainy run on Wednesday totally destroyed them for good. I'm excited to see how well the new ones fit and how great they sound tomorrow.

Happy running, everyone! :running: