Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 273.4/271.6/240

Height: 5'2

Default Low impact exercise ideas?

I'm 265 pounds and have been doing well with the diet part. I've lost a few pounds just from eating right, but I know I could lose more if I added exercise. Because of my weight, it hurts to exercise. Any ideas for some low impact exercises for someone who is this heavy?
dl28494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

yoga, exercise bike, total gym, swimming, just plain walking.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Second on the walking! That's how I started. No special equipment required and it's easy to gauge your progress by tracking steps, miles, speed, etc. I started off barely being able to do a 1/4 of a mile and now I compete in 5ks...something I never thought I could do! Good luck!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I agree - walking is fantastic and so is swimming if you have access anywhere. BUT as someone who has been there, done that - exercising when you are obese and out of shape HURTS. It hurts really bad. Do it anyway!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/196/163

Height: 5'8

I was 18 and 273lbs when I first started my weight loss journey. I was so unhealthy, and tremendously unfit. I simply began walking a couple of times around the block and just increased my distance each week. Walking, I find, is the best way to start and helps you build up your endurance so you are able to take on more intense exercises (that's what I found for me anyway). I also find when I take the dog for a walk, I tend to walk much faster because she just doesn't want to slow down, so if you have a dog that you can walk, do that!
madelinerose94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

I suggest you walk, swim, do water aerobics and try a stationary bike.
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 105kg/103kg/60kg

Height: 1.60m

Swimming is perfect if you are close to the beach. I don't like going to public pools...
JamieToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #8  
300+ Chick

I agree on walking...Its the best and can do it mostly everywhere. I also do the basic of Leslie Sansone, Walk Away The Pounds,which its low impact, of marching in place, side steps, knee lifts,walk and kick...Good luck with your efforts!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I don't think you need to worry too much about doing formal exercise. I'm finding it easier to not rely on exercise for my weight loss. I keep my calories fairly high but obviouslylower than maintenance to avoid hunger.

Don't be in a hurry. Patience and persistence will get you to your goal. Stick to good a good solid diet plan with no cheats. Keep a food diary religiously and monitor your calories in some form or another so you can't self deceive.

But i try to be aware of being more active. If you are carrying a lot of weight, then walking isn't really low impact.

Cycling, and swimming and water aerobics will be good.
Try house work, like cleaning windows, mopping floors. decluttering.
Instead of taking lifts and things like that always take the more strenuous form.
Move things further away so you have to go further to get to stuff you want.
Gardening if you have one.
Volunteering in a shop if you don't have a job. Or volunteering in other situations where you are required to move around fairly constantly.
If you work in an office, think of ways to make yourself move about more.

I'd personally leave the formal exercise until you are lighter and then your body won't be under so much stress.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #10  

I'd say definitely stationary cycling, maybe you could buy an exercise bike to use at home? I bought some shock absorber insoles (Sorbothane brand) which were expensive but I use them for walking and treadmill running. They advertise that they're supposed to protect your joints from impact and I thought it was worth the outlay on the off chance that they will. x
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #11  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I started at nearly 500 pounds and I swam. Actually I just got in the water and moved around. Now I can do some actual laps. It's a fantastic start because it rarely "feels" like exercise.

Don't sell yourself short - exercise hurts, but I bet you're capable of more than you think! I started losing weight in August of 2012. Started swimming in October of 2012. By the following April, I was taking a yoga class, experimenting with kettlebells...

I am amazed daily at what I could do at 485 pounds, and freaking pleased with what I can do at 375. Just keep moving!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Sounds great what you've achieved radiojane.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:04 AM   #13  
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126kg/93kg/70kg

Height: 162cm(ish)

Honestly, I can't praise walking highly enough- especially if you have access to a nice park and a choice of terrains. I was almost exactly your height and weight when I started and began with shorter, flatter walks, progressing to longer, steeper walks.

My default walk now has 100 meters of elevation change and is about 5k. I've lost 40 pounds(ish) and have soooo much more power and stamina. It's also given me the courage to start c25k.

It helps that I'm a nature freak. Things like frogs, deer tracks and moss make me happy, and the walks go by quickly. I come home and stretch a bit, and feel like I've done something for myself instead of like it was a schlog. Just what works for me... Good luck, dl!

Oh, and get good shoes! Very important! If it's painful, you won't keep it up and might do some damage...

Last edited by Magicsusan; 03-08-2014 at 03:06 AM. Reason: ps
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

I personally am a big fan of pilates; its a lot harder than it looks on the exercise dvds! I enjoy it because it is a good workout, I can feel myself getting stronger, leaner and more flexible the more I do it, I dont feel like I am having a heart attack when I do it, it can be done in the privacy of my home and its finished in a certain amount of time. Mine is all over and done with in 30 mins- not too hard to squeeze into a busy shedule! My aunt was nearly twice my weight when she started her journey and she is now lighter than I am, and it was swimming that got the weight off her. Nothing special, she just went to the public pool 3 times a week and slowly built up the amount of laps she swam each time. It didnt happen over night, but she is now fit and most importantly, healthy. Dont be afraid of trying new things, and dont go too hard to start off, as you may injure yourself or kind of psyche yourself out of it when it hurts. I was 243 pounds when I started my journey 5 weeks ago. Since starting, I went from being someone who has never really done any running to someone who loves running! I can now run 2.5km in 20 mins on the elliptical! You will never know until you try, and you will be fine! Just start slowly and try a few different exercises to see what is the best fit for you All the best, and please keep us posted on your journey!
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #15  
maintaining since 9/2013

Whatever you choose, start with a short time, slow pace, and gradually build up so your body can adapt. Wear good shoes if you decide to walk.

Last edited by mars735; 03-16-2014 at 11:55 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote