3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Exercise!

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Are There Any Mall Walkers Of Any Age Here???

Old 03-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Default Are There Any Mall Walkers Of Any Age Here???

Im considering walking in the mall 3 days out of the week and I was wondering if there were any other mall walkers on this forum?

Started My Weight Loss Journey for the 2nd time on Jan. 16th 2014

Started Tracking My Food On MFP May 13th,2014

Start 1200 Calorie Diet on June 11th 2014
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #2

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm not against it but why do you want to walk in a mall? Is it because of inclement weather? What I don't like about malls is that they're loud, there's people everywhere walking at different paces so if you wanted to maintain a pace you'd constantly have to slow down or swerve, it doesn't seem conducive to keeping up momentum. I also crave natural light and I would prefer that during my work out I didn't have to walk by the pretzel stand lol.

"Binging is a descent into a world where every restriction... is cut loose. At its core is a feeling of deprivation.. a feeling you can never get enough. Binges do not signify a lack of willpower or inability to care for yourself. On the contrary, binges are a urgent attempt to care for yourself when you feel uncared for. They are the voice of survival. Binges are the mark of the self that says, 'I am tired of feeling deprived, of being told I am wrong, that I am bad." - Geneen Roth
Wannabeskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #3

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

When I worked out of a call center that was located in the mall I walked there all the time. My mall always opened it's doors about 1 hr prior to the stores opening...to allow for the merchants to open, security to enter the building, grounds keepers, etc. so I was able to walk prior to anyone showing up. It was convenient for me at the time, but I've since switched jobs. One thing to consider is the level walking area. Many times I'd pick walking around the outside of the mall as opposed to the inside to give me a few inclines. Of course if the weather is bad the mall is great!

LOL I used to walk during my breaks and lunches there too! OMG talk about frustrating. Gaggles of people, all moving slowly, constantly walking around them in frustration. That's why I normally headed outside!

Goal: Get under 190lbs! 02/14/14 This goal reached!
Goal: Get under 180lbs!
Goal: Wear a Medium Again (comfortably)

http://3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/vealcalf2000

These are aerobic steps! Last Updated from March 2
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
Turning Into A New Woman

Im considering walking at the mall because when I did it Saturday afternoon it seemed as though it didnt take as long to walk for an hour and 1/2 then it did walking for 45 mins here at home.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #5

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra1984 View Post
Im considering walking at the mall because when I did it Saturday afternoon it seemed as though it didnt take as long to walk for an hour and 1/2 then it did walking for 45 mins here at home.
If you mean walking for 45minutes on a treadmill then I agree, there is absolutely nothing that can make my time pass slower than a treadmill. I refuse to get on those things, I know people love them and they serve a great great purpose but I need to be outside, looking at things, walking in nature. Even the thought of a treadmill makes me depressed, I see people at the gym walking on it for like an hour! just staring at the television. I prefer workouts that challenge my mind, my agility, I want to only focus on the workout itself and I can't do that on a treadmill.

Walking in the mall probably woke up your senses, which made the time go by quicker. But I do wonder if dodging people slowed you down making your workout just a tad less effective? It's something to think about.

I don't mean to go on about this because it's a perfectly fine workout. However, I find so much inspiration at my local park. I see older ladies working out and managing better than I can and it fills me with hope that one day I'll be an old lady running around a track field too. I live in nyc so I have a need to get out to the park and see a tree or two. In other words, I like to surround myself with other people who are partaking of healthful activities like walking, jogging, even sitting and enjoying the sunlight on a bench. At a mall I feel overwhelmed by busy people running about finishing their shopping, it's not a calm conducive atmosphere.

"Binging is a descent into a world where every restriction... is cut loose. At its core is a feeling of deprivation.. a feeling you can never get enough. Binges do not signify a lack of willpower or inability to care for yourself. On the contrary, binges are a urgent attempt to care for yourself when you feel uncared for. They are the voice of survival. Binges are the mark of the self that says, 'I am tired of feeling deprived, of being told I am wrong, that I am bad." - Geneen Roth
Wannabeskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Turning Into A New Woman

Nope I wasnt talking about a treadmill but thanks for replying to my thread though.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #7
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

I know a few shopping centers here have mall walking before the shops open.

noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
Turning Into A New Woman

Thats awesome

Old 03-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
❈ one w/ the wind & sky ❈

S/C/G: 360/210/150

Height: 5' 8"

I always turn my walking app on when I hit the mall, and make it a point to loop around every level. I can check my distance, average pace, and calories burned, even though I often slow down to window shop.

I like the scenery and feel motivated by cute outfits I can't yet fit into, lol. And it's great when it's just too hot to be outside in the summer months (I live in Vegas). They do open the mall before the shops open and allow walkers.

Visit Elladorine.com to see my 150 lb. progress photos & more!Facebook Twitter

★ Goal for 2013: Healthy Pregnancy, Healthy Baby REACHED 12-11-13]
★ Goal for 2014: Get under 200 pounds once and for all!!! ★
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #10
Turning Into A New Woman

Thats great, I wonder if they open before the stores open for the mall walkers everywhere, I'll have to check into that.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
Less of a Better Me

S/C/G: 207.4/ticker/146

I drive my daughter to college a couple of days a week, then pick her up. There isn't enough time to make it worthwhile to drive home so sometimes I drive over to a nearby mall and walk it. I wear a Fitbit so I know how many steps I walked and the distance. I like doing it.

For those wondering why I would prefer that to walking outside, there are two reasons. First - I do like walking outside and often do it in my neighborhood. I walk with my DH so I don't get bored.

But the mall has 2 advantages. When the pollen is up, walking outside really messes with my allergies. Second, from about May to October it is just too hot for me to be able to tolerate walking outside. The mall is also good when it is raining or too cold.

I haven't found a problem with people being too slow. I usually am able to do this during a weekday, though, so it isn't as crowded as it might be on the weekend. I find it a little more interesting when I'm by myself to walk around the mall. If your mall offers the option, it is good to go up and down any stairs as well.

Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.