Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #61  
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

W8D2 done today. Week 8 is 28 minute runs but I am trying to run until I get to 4km so a little longer.
I am surprised that I have come this far, almost completed c25k program. I still remember the first day, so exhausted and slow. Then my first unbroken km...
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:23 PM   #62  
Walking

4km took me 30:10 last time, today I did it in 29 minutes. I think 3.2km is 2 miles - I was managing that in 25 minutes a week ago.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:25 PM   #63  
Walking

I can't imagine ever running 5km, especially in 30 minutes.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:54 AM   #64  
Determined!

S/C/G: 84.3kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 5'4"/164cm

My first 8 min run tomorrow morning... wish me luck!!! Haha, I accidentally started the 8 min run yesterday when I went and I wondered why 5 min felt like SOOO long, so I'm kind of dreading it now. On the plus side I only have to run TWICE. And when I do 20 min I only have to run ONCE! So there's a silver lining to every cloud
lilmisschattabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:31 AM   #65  
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126kg/93kg/70kg

Height: 162cm(ish)

BigChiefHoHo- I know the time of the runs (or in your case the distance) has increased, but the 2.5 min walkies almost feels a bit long, doesn't it? Still, 2.5 min running! We did it! I've just done week3day2 today, which means you're probably going to be doing it too- do you also take sat and sun off from running? I'm just asking, because I feel as if even though the Monday and Wed runs were exactly the same, the Monday one was somehow easier... Maybe because I had two days to recover, or just coincidence.. We'll see.

Well done, Elladorine! I wish I could back up time and start a little earlier too (I mean, earlier in relation to the ages of my children- just to set better examples) but we are where we are and my eldest (17) has just started running from zombies, so I think they are realizing how much happier I have been since I started taking care of myself.

Tafadhali, could you maybe get help from a sports therapist for you tendons? In any case, good luck. (BTW, I also do Fitnessblender's Easy Cardio Warm-up before I do my dumbbells ) And congrats on doing 20 minutes! I'll get there someday.

Awshucks, you intrigue me. I'm enjoying the running, but the segments up until now have been so short that I never really felt I had time to get into a rhythm, if that makes any sense. I'm only on week 3, but today I felt toward the end of the longer run (we're talking 2.5 minutes here, so don't anybody be impressed ) that it was actually "happening," like I was in a bit of a rhythm and could have gone on a bit longer. Then it was time to stop. Curious to see about longer runs (Friday- 3minutes ) in light of your first five minutes being the hardest comment...
I'll certainly report back about the humidity vs. elevation thing either during or after my hols, depending on access.

Lilmischattabox, I like the way you think! One run and you're halfway there

As for choosing the wrong day on the program; I've done that. I've done it all. Now that I finally figured out why I wasn't getting my voice prompts, had one day with no hitches. Today? Managed to accidentally put the phone on silent mode. Why is nobody telling me to run? Hmmmm.... I am soooo awful with machines! I look forward to the day when it's just me and my mossy feet!

Have a great day, everyone, see you Friday!

Last edited by Magicsusan; 03-19-2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: proofreading...
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #66  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I'm still here, just lurking for the time being I haven't been progressing for a little while, but I'm still truckin!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #67  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwShucks View Post
Hi Elladorine! You can run along with us! You and BigChiefHoHo might need jogging strollers!
Thank you kindly! Ooh, hubby and I actually talked about picking up a jogging stroller back when I was still pregnant; he knew how important starting this was to me. But my SIL gave us a [regular] stroller that they don't use anymore, so we decided to hold off on spending on it. For now I just run at night so he can watch the baby, but we're planning on getting one in the next few months. I think it'll be really fun to take the baby for a run, especially when he's old enough to really enjoy the scenery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicsusan View Post
Well done, Elladorine! I wish I could back up time and start a little earlier too (I mean, earlier in relation to the ages of my children- just to set better examples) but we are where we are and my eldest (17) has just started running from zombies, so I think they are realizing how much happier I have been since I started taking care of myself.
Thanks! And, well . . . it's never too late! While I was pregnant I often thought of my own mother and how frustrating it was that she was always too tired and/or sickly to do anything with us as kids, and I vowed to become the kind of mom that's active and involved. And nothing against my mom (or anyone else), as she had her own demons to deal with, but I don't want to face the same struggles she did. Kudos to you for taking the time to take care of yourself now.

Did my W1D2 late last night. I love roaming our neighborhood after dark! It's calm, quiet, and pretty when lit up. It's made up of two roundish blocks that are a quarter mile around each, and together they form a figure eight. It's easy to keep track of how far I've gone and I like the fact that I'm always close to home in case of an emergency.

I'm still a bit congested but it felt easy enough to want to keep going once the cool-down was announced. I plan on doing W1D3 on Wednesday and hope my body's back to normal by Saturday so I can do W2D1 without a coughing fit.

Tonight is my weekly weigh-in and I'm hoping for a loss. But if not, no big deal . . . I do expect to stall a little from the training.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 255/208/??

Height: 5'4"

Aw shucks, thanks for the support and follow up! My ankle injury is a newer(ish) one and SO stupid. We have a covered car port/breezeway. I was walking through it to go feed my chickens and had cats twining around my feet. Tripped in a rut and to avoid smooshing a cat I inverted my ankle and fracture it. Grrr. The injury is a little less than a year old. Healed but still ouchy sometimes.

I've been icing, rolling and taping (using Kt tape) and today's run (w6d1) was great!!! A little sore, but it was more tight muscle sore than horrible deep tendon sore. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be ok because the thought of having to quit now makes me want to cry. Today felt SO good. After the 20 min run last time the 5s and 8 felt easy. Can't believe it either.

How are the extra 5 min of the 25 min run feeling to ya? I've always found that the first mile of any run sucks the most. Once my muscles get warm and loose, the rest of the run is so much easier until my muscles get tired. In some ways, the little short runs are harder on my than one longer run.

Susan, your forest is amazing! I'm so envious that you get to run in such a magical looking place. I live in a little tiny town in farm country. Very flat. I pass lots of fields and cows which is pretty, but not magic like a forest. You'll nail those longer runs when the time comes. It amazes me how much stronger we are than we realize.

Elladorine, splurge and get a good jogging stroller. Safer for you and your little one. Don't be afraid to buy used either, the better brands are tough. My sister had a Jeep jogging stroller years ago. It was such junk!! I bought a BOB Revolution when my youngest (who is 2) was born knowing I wanted to eventually get back to running. I have literally put hundreds of miles on the BOB walking and now I'm jogging with it. It still functions like it's brand new. I know they're a little expensive, but I LOVE that stroller. I think good shoes and if you have a little one, a good stroller, are absolute must haves.

Keep up the great work everyone!! Run strong!! Woot!
Tafadhali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #69  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafadhali View Post
Elladorine, splurge and get a good jogging stroller. Safer for you and your little one. Don't be afraid to buy used either, the better brands are tough. My sister had a Jeep jogging stroller years ago. It was such junk!! I bought a BOB Revolution when my youngest (who is 2) was born knowing I wanted to eventually get back to running. I have literally put hundreds of miles on the BOB walking and now I'm jogging with it. It still functions like it's brand new. I know they're a little expensive, but I LOVE that stroller. I think good shoes and if you have a little one, a good stroller, are absolute must haves.
Thank you for the advice! I've actually been checking a local store every so often that sells used baby and children's items and I keep looking over their strollers. I don't remember the brand, but the last time they had one jogging stroller that seemed really solid, and they were asking $200 for it. I plan on doing more research before purchasing anything, but it's definitely an area we'd planned on splurging on before the baby even arrived. I'm not jogging with him just yet since I only go out when he can stay at home with the hubby, but when I eventually start I want to ensure we're being as safe as possible.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

Got my w3d2 done today. It sucked! I just felt lethargic and tight most of the way through. Got it done, though, so I guess that's fine. I'm almost looking forward to the longer runs coming up because it feels like I stop running as soon as I finally hit a comfortable stride.

EllaDorine - Actually it's my son in my avatar! He's almost three now, so that'll tell you how long it's been since I changed pictures...

Magicsusan - Yep, took Sat/Sun off. I usually do Monday, Wednesday, Friday for runs. I found today's run to be a lot harder than Monday too for some reason. I just was not feeling it until halfway through - my calves were tight and I just wanted to stop. Finished it, though!

Tafadhali - Have to disagree with you on the Jeep jogging strollers! We got one when my older kid was just a babe, and it's gotten really heavy use for the last three years (my husband is military, and he did most of his runs with it for ages). Honestly, it's been awesome. Maybe your sister just got a lemon?
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #71  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Hey y'all! Look at all these happy runners!
Tonight was W7D2 - 25 minutes again. I have to admit, I was dreading it. I did a Barre strength training class before and we had a sub teacher who worked us a lot harder than our regular teacher does. Afterward, I wandered out to the track and it felt so hard to just get started. I really had doubts that I would finish. And, then... after about 8 minutes, it got easier, and by the time she said 1 minute left, I was feeling really good and thought I could go longer. (I didn't, of course! I'm not crazy!) One of the things I like about this is that it's all new territory for me. The feelings and the accomplishments are all new. It's a constant surprise!

Noshoes You're so close to "graduating!" Way to go! Do you run on a treadmill or outside? I can't wait to increase my speed, but not sure how that is going to happen. ha!

Lil Miss Keep on keeping on! Just do the next thing they tell you to do. I promise you'll be able to do it!

Magicsusan Yes, the feeling after you get started for a while is that it's just "happening". I'm not sure how it happens or why it happens, but it does, and you can just keep on going. I'm beginning to think that there's more of a mental game going on here than we realize. You just can't let the doubt, negativity, apathy, tiredness, or whatever stop you -- and if you don't, it all comes together and "works". There's probably a book somewhere about "the tao of running"...

Last edited by AwShucks; 03-19-2014 at 08:58 PM.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #72  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChiefHoho View Post
EllaDorine - Actually it's my son in my avatar! He's almost three now, so that'll tell you how long it's been since I changed pictures...
Oh my goodness, lol. Well he's a cutie!

The stroller is still probably a couple of months down the line; I'm hoping by then I'll have a hot new bod to show off! Well ok, not really! It's just that I'm really hoping to get under 200 pounds in the next two months.

I actually had a 1/2 pound gain for the week! It's nothing to freak out over but I'm a little disappointed, given that I weighed exactly the same exactly one month ago. Oh well, keep calm and carry on! I'm still ecstatic that I'm well below what I was in high school. I'll probably do a Richard Simmons tape, er, DVD today (they're fun!) and I'm looking forward to doing W1D3 tonight.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #73  
Determined!

S/C/G: 84.3kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 5'4"/164cm

20 min tomorrow... providing out get out of bed early enough haha. A lil' nervous!! Will post after hopeful completion!!
lilmisschattabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #74  
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126kg/93kg/70kg

Height: 162cm(ish)

Hi, everyone.

Week 3, Day 3.

Well, I lived to tell the tale, and now I guess I'll just have to have faith in my app. I don't see how I'm going to cope with the coming increases- the jump from 2.5 to 3 minutes already takes everything I've got, but I'll just keep trying. I find it intimidating, though.
Silverfire, I may not be making much progress soon either. I plan to stick with it, but between my upcoming hols and the bigger increases, I just hope not to backslide in the next couple of weeks...

Elladorine, it might actually not be such a bad thing that you don't have a jogging stroller- just my 2c, and don't get me wrong, I adore my three girlies and love spending time with them, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for your family to get used to you having a bit of "me" time to do what you need to do for your health, know what I mean? Just thinking it shows you respecting your self and your needs and sets a good example for them... Just sharing a thought, not telling you what to do...
Oh! And about the weight gain; I googled that ("started running, gained weight") because I had that too for the first several weeks after I started. There's quite a few articles about how your body tends to hold water to help with all the new muscle construction and repair... after 3 weeks, I suddenly lost nearly a kilo. YMMV.

Tafadhali, lol on the first mile being the worst; I am "running" so slowly, I'm not sure how much ground I'm really covering. Have you ever seen Four Weddings and a Funeral? That scene where they're late (again) and are walking so fast they overtake the joggers? That's me, jogging. Thanks for the encouragement on the longer runs- I'm still nervous, but I'm going to try. Farm country also sounds nice! I grew up in VA and I miss it sooooo much. Actually, flat also also sounds nice, because even though I've found an area of the forest that is flatish, it's still a challenge getting up a slight rise.

BigchiefHoHo, I look forward to your posts because we are on the same schedule. I found W3D3 HARD. I did it, but I was really struggling at the end of the second 3min run. I was doing okay with the breathing, but my legs just felt so heavy. There were no comfortable strides, ha! How did you get on? I'm looking forward to Monday, I always seem to have the most energy then.

AwShucks, I can't wait for those days. Right now it's still such a struggle, building strength, building stamina. I've had a tantalizing glance of what it's like to be a "runner," so I look forward to it, but I'm weeeeaaaak...
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #75  

I accomplished W1D3 last night, feeling really good once I got home. I'm anxious to step things up a notch when I start W2 tomorrow!

Quote:
Elladorine, it might actually not be such a bad thing that you don't have a jogging stroller- just my 2c, and don't get me wrong, I adore my three girlies and love spending time with them, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for your family to get used to you having a bit of "me" time to do what you need to do for your health, know what I mean? Just thinking it shows you respecting your self and your needs and sets a good example for them... Just sharing a thought, not telling you what to do...
Oh, I totally get what you're saying there! I really do enjoy having that time to myself and it's definitely something I want to hang on to, but I'd also like the option of being able to take him with on occasion. For example, I walk to the store a lot these days when I'm home alone with the baby, and once I get more into this whole jogging thing I wouldn't mind being able to speed things up a bit! I've also made it clear to the hubby that I need a certain amount of "me" time regardless, and I definitely want to set a good example for my son as he gets older. Having a stroller suitable for jogging will give me more options on down the road.

Quote:
Oh! And about the weight gain; I googled that ("started running, gained weight") because I had that too for the first several weeks after I started. There's quite a few articles about how your body tends to hold water to help with all the new muscle construction and repair... after 3 weeks, I suddenly lost nearly a kilo. YMMV.
Thanks for the info, that totally makes sense. Weight loss is a major goal of course, but I'm doing my best to push for fitness and strength! If the weight loss has to take a little stall in the meantime, so be it. it's just a number anyway and I mainly want to feel (and look!) better.