Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

Magicsusan, I did w3d3 on Friday (haven't had much time to post), and it actually was pretty good. I think it felt easier because I got to do it outside instead of on a treadmill, so the scenery made the time go by a lot faster. When I run outside, I do it on a dirt road that runs through a farm, so I get to look at cows and goats. The cows usually get curious and follow me, and the goats have adorable new babies right now, so it's very entertaining. But the run itself went pretty well. I'm simultaneously excited and terrified of week 4. I think it's the first week where we'll be doing more running than walking, so on the one hand maybe I'll feel like a 'real' runner, but on the other hand, holy crap it's gonna be hard! But I have faith in the program, so I'm sure we can do it.

EllaDorine, I had the same experience as Magicsusan with the weight loss. Whenever I start a new exercise program, I get a big stall (or even sometimes a 2-3 pound gain), then it all whooshes off in a couple weeks. It's really annoying, but it's just water retention caused by the new muscle use. Congrats on finishing week one!
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 255/208/??

Height: 5'4"

Woohoo week 6 done! Finished the 22 minute run today. My son and I pushed it out to about 24 min to get all the way to the end of the road. Today was the first time my son finished the run and said he loved it and could keep going. Hello kid, welcome to the runners high!! So glad he finally had a great run.

My ankle was tight and made my outer calf muscles cramp up again. So frustrating how off and on it is. I did slack off on foam rolling a bit, so maybe that was the problem.

Awshucks, great job finishing your run after another workout. You're just ahead of me in the program, it's nice to read that you've made it through another day. Good motivation!!

For all of you earlier in the program, keep going! The first few weeks are the hardest. I know it doesn't seem that could possibly be true when you look at the whole schedule written out. My son and I were talking about it on our cool down walk today and we both agreed that the longer runs feel better than the little short intervals. I'd rather do another 20+ min run than week one again. You'll be amazed by how strong you get in just a matter of a few weeks.
Tafadhali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:32 AM   #78  
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126kg/93kg/70kg

Height: 162cm(ish)

Oh, Wow! w4d1

The mystical Monday magic continues! I was a bit worried about today's run (especially when I woke up and it was snowing! That's another good thing about running in the forest- most of the snow was still up on the branches, and the gravel/moss/pine needles/whatever is rough enough that slipping was not really a danger. I know several of you could sing songs about how getting an injury will set you back!

Anyway, I did it. I was really shocked! Three minutes nearly killed me on Friday but today, four minutes was a total dawdle! To be fair, I may have been instinctively running (even) slower than usual because of the patches of snow and mud, I don't know, but I really felt great, so I calling it a win .

Elladorine, I totally understand your anxiety (just check out my past posts, ) but so far, this program is really working for me! I keep surprising myself! Oh, and ditto on the weight loss. It's certainly not the only goal. It's just a pretty cool bonus

BigChiefHoHo, I can't wait to hear how w4d1 went for you- it's so cool that we are on the same schedule! You're my inspiration not to let it slide while I'm on holiday! About the goat babies, I saw a deer on my way home from the forest the other morning! They occaisionally come down from the forest, but this one looked confused and bolted into a driveway/garden up the street from my house. Poor thing must have got lost. Anyway, running outside really makes me tick. Checking out clumps of mistletoe that were knocked down by the storm we just had. I'm a nature geek at heart. :

Tafadhali, My daughter has also just taken up running. She's using the zombie app and enjoying it. Actually, I'm trying to get her to slow down a little- run every other night, instead of every night. She's been feeling exhausted, and I think it's the lack of recovery time. Sorry you've been having trouble with your ankles again, but thanks for the encouraging words about longer runs. I'm really looking forward to them with a mixture of excitment and trepidation!

See you all on Wednesday, If I survive w4d2

Last edited by Magicsusan; 03-24-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #79  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I got through W2D1 just fine on Saturday, and am looking forward accomplishing W2D2 tonight. I'd sort of like to switch to doing this early in the morning instead of at night, but my sleep is still a bit unreliable because of the baby and I'm much more tired when I wake up than in the evenings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChiefHoho View Post
EllaDorine, I had the same experience as Magicsusan with the weight loss. Whenever I start a new exercise program, I get a big stall (or even sometimes a 2-3 pound gain), then it all whooshes off in a couple weeks. It's really annoying, but it's just water retention caused by the new muscle use. Congrats on finishing week one!
Thanks! I'm a little anxious for some kind of woosh, mostly because I'm so, so close to 199! But if I had the choice between a smaller number on the scale and a smaller pair of jeans, I'll take the jeans any day. I'm definitely noticing a difference in my body, regardless of what the scale says, and I absolutely love the direction I'm going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafadhali View Post
For all of you earlier in the program, keep going! The first few weeks are the hardest. I know it doesn't seem that could possibly be true when you look at the whole schedule written out. My son and I were talking about it on our cool down walk today and we both agreed that the longer runs feel better than the little short intervals. I'd rather do another 20+ min run than week one again. You'll be amazed by how strong you get in just a matter of a few weeks.
It's so good to hear this. I was extremely confident in starting out week 2 the day before yesterday, but I had a few moments of questioning my abilities in the middle of it. I did my best to ignore that self-doubt and managed to push through the jogging parts just fine though. Looking back, it wasn't even that hard! And I already knew going into this that I could jog for four minutes straight, so I don't know what my issue is. Regardless, I'm so looking forward to getting stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicsusan View Post
Elladorine, I totally understand your anxiety (just check out my past posts, ) but so far, this program is really working for me! I keep surprising myself! Oh, and ditto on the weight loss. It's certainly not the only goal. It's just a pretty cool bonus
Isn't it amazing how well these small steps work? Just a little bit more each time, and before you know it you're accomplishing more than you ever thought you could! I'm amazed that I'm even running at all, given how bad off I was a few years back. I simply can't wait to prove to myself just how much I can do!
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #80  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Hey there, everybody! W8D1 today... 28 minutes. And, I did it! It wasn't so very different from 20 or 25 minutes. Like Tafadhali says, I think it's easier, or just as easy to run these long segments as it was the short ones.

My latest podcast stressed that it's not about speed, it's about distance, and told me that I must be proud of running 5K in just about 30 minutes, now. Ha! Little do they know! I'm still not covering near that distance, but today I did run a little faster at times because there were more people on the track and I had to pass a few walkers, then didn't want to be running right in front of them. I'm sure watching my behind jiggle would be very entertaining for them, but no thanks! If that's not reason to run faster, I don't know what is!

Hope everyone is getting along well. Happy running!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:00 AM   #81  
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

Quote:
Noshoes You're so close to "graduating!" Way to go! Do you run on a treadmill or outside? I can't wait to increase my speed, but not sure how that is going to happen. ha!
Outside. I hear treadmill is tougher.

I got faster just by running more. Not very fast but I have improved my pace. 7 min pace is the goal over 5km...eventually.

I have done the wrong days a few times. Annoying!

I missed my last run so I am worried tomorrow I will choke. Last 28 minute day before thirty minute week.
Thinking about the 20 minute run was almost frightening but my advice is to take it easy, slow and steady. 25 mins and 28 mins is similar. Some runs may be be tougher than others, I consider it conditioning my body. The longest I have run is about 4km in 30 minutes and that was my fave run so far.
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:59 AM   #82  
Determined!

S/C/G: 84.3kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 5'4"/164cm

20 min was harddddd. I got 6 min in and thought i must have run at least half way, but still 14 min to go!! I went a different route, and got way further than i thought I would. I did around 2.5km in the 20 mins which I don't feel too bad about.

Magicsusan I'm so jealous of where you get to run! I just see cars haha.

Last edited by lilmisschattabox; 03-25-2014 at 06:06 AM.
lilmisschattabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 255/208/??

Height: 5'4"

Yay, w7d1 is done!!

It was a gorgeous morning, probably one of the last chilly ones we'll have as far South as I am. I'm going to really miss cool morning runs. Our highs will be 100* (f) or more all summer with the overnight lows only dipping into the upper 70s/low 80s. Yuck. I hate to run when it's too warm. I sweat buckets and come in looking like someone tossed me in a swimming pool. Nasty.

So, with the lovely brisk weather as encouragement the kiddo and I had a great 26 min run. We had to run the extra minute to make it around the corner of the road (visible goal). ��

I really can't believe how much stronger I feel. The difference between week 5 and the last couple weeks is like night and day. I am still running easy and slow, but it feels great instead of miserable like in earlier weeks. Even the tendons above my year old ankle fracture weren't too grouchy today. I taped the living day lights out of my ankle. I'm becoming a big fan of KT Tape. It seems like with just a little support the tendons go from painful and angry to mildly sore and grumpy and finally give up and relax about a mile in. I tell ya, I miss being young and broken parts free! Ha!

Elladorine, running is such a head game. It really is. I used to be able to go out and knock out 4.5 miles at a 10-11 minute per mile pace and still feel hyped up and ready to go. Now I'm like 'HOW did I do that!? I'll never be able to do that again'. Of course, 7 weeks ago running for 25 minutes seemed impossibly hard and yet here I am. All along I've just kept telling myself to try. Just get out there and try. Odds are, you'll finish just fine. Even if you don't, try again and you eventually will. Repeating is just fine. Really though we're all so much stronger than we give ourselves credit for. Just gotta tell the old brain to hush and get with the program sometimes. ��

MagicSusan, I love zombies! There's a Zombie 5K mud run in the fall that my son and I are thinking about doing. It looks like so much fun. My 11 year old daughter came for a walk with us the other night. She's built like a 'runner'. Tall, lean, mile long legs. Nothing like me!!! She was running to street corners and back for the fun of it. I think some people are just built to run effortlessly, and then some (uh hum, me) have to work really hard to make running not totally suck. ��

AwShucks, I'm right there with ya on the not even close to 5K. My 13 year old and I were laughing about that today. We did 2 miles in 26 minutes. Yeah, not gonna magically run the last 1.1 mile in the remaining 4 minutes! But we will run for 30 minutes straight when the time comes and I'm totally good with that. We'll get to a full 5k in our own time. Slow and steady is a good thing. So much better than sitting on the couch.

Lilmiss, if the run is feeling too hard slow down. Speed will come later. Build your 'base' (duration and mileage) first and speed will come as your body gets stronger. If you push too hard for speed at first you're more likely to hurt yourself. I know it seems like you're cheating almost if you go slow and easy. You're not though. What you'll find is that slow and easy keeps getting faster and faster. I went from a 15 min mile to an average of an 11 min mile when I was running a lot before. I'm sure it would have gotten faster if I hadn't gotten in an accident and had to stop. I never trained for speed, ever. I focused completely on adding distance. I got faster without trying simply because my body got stronger. So go easy, enjoy these runs and let the speed come later!

Keep running y'all!
Tafadhali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #84  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Hey all - Question

Have any of you tried "running" on the elliptical? I've been having issues with my knees and not progressing much, and my trainer suggested trying it out on the elliptical?

Thoughts?
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

W4d1 done and hoooooooooly crap that was hard! I am super proud of myself fot getting it done, but dang, boys and girls, that was not much fun at all. The whole distance-instead-of-time thing is starting to catch up to me, I think, because I wound up doing two 3-minute run segments, one 6-minute one, and one 7-minute one (because I had to slow down). I finished it, but I'm already thinking I might have to repeat this week. (even though that would make me not match up with magicsusan anymore! that would suck; I always come on here to read your report before I go do mine)

AwShucks, it drives me nuts that it assumes we're all running 10-minute miles! I am SO much slower than that. I think when I get up to doing the full 5k it's going to be more like 45 minutes than 30.

noshoes, silly question, but do you actually run barefoot? I use minimalist shoes (New Balance Minimus), but the rocks hurt my feet way too much to go shoeless outside.

Silverfire, personally I don't think that elliptical running translates well to running-running. The motion is a lot different (kind of awkward, in my opinion, but I know a lot of people who like it). It'd probably still be great for burning calories and keeping your cardio fitness up while you heal up, though.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #86  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Hey all - Question Have any of you tried "running" on the elliptical? I've been having issues with my knees and not progressing much, and my trainer suggested trying it out on the elliptical? Thoughts?
I agree with BigChiefHoho -- not sure elliptical will translate well into "real running." I've only done the elliptical a few times, and I didn't really like it. My feet fell asleep! And, it seemed to work my quads much more than walking. However, that might be a good thing! You're paying your trainer for their professional advice, so I'd trust their direction. It couldn't hurt to try.

I think anything you can do to keep your cardio fitness up would be good -- even if you can't do the length and intensity of what you were doing before. You might not lose all your gains while you're healing. I've actually read of people who had to stop couch25K for about 3 weeks and went right back to where they were when they stopped and picked back up -- it wasn't easy, but they didn't have to start again at the very beginning.

I'm sorry you're hurt. That's no fun!

Just had a thought -- how about spinning? Or a recumbent bike? I'm just thinking of the intensity, and you could pedal hard and fast for the running sections and back off for the walking sections of couch25K -- I would think that would be very low impact. Just an idea if the elliptical doesn't work out.

Last edited by AwShucks; 03-25-2014 at 08:37 PM.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:14 AM   #87  
mossfootrunner!

Okay, pleasantly surprised. I thought today was going to be so hard- 3,5,5,3, with walks in between, of course. I've never run 5 minutes in my life. Not that I know of. Perhaps when I was a little kid, but even then you rarely just run like that- starts and stops playing tag and stuff, you know. Anyway, I did it without too much trouble. I think part of it is just my incredibly slow pace, but hey, I did it

Anyway, Elladorine (and everybody else) I seem to be over the water retention phase, because after three weeks at roughly the same weight (I weigh in kgs and round to the nearest pound) I lost two pounds at last week's weigh-in and a pound again for this week. My body is also taking on shapes that it's never had- I look more like I've lost about 10 pounds in the past month- not 3! My Daughter has also started running and says the same. She is normal weight (high end) but just pudgy from inactivity.

AwShucks, 28 minutes is fantastic, and you are an inspiration!

No shoes, I think we have *all* done the wrong day a couple of times. I know I have!

Littlemisschattabox, cars! But you're in New Zealand. I know, I shouldn't believe everything the tourist industry says, but all the pictures I see of NZ are breathtakingly beautiful. I love my bit of forest, though, I admit. Well done on the 20 min! I still have that in front of me

Tafadhali, I might be looking into the zombie podcast when I've done the c25k, for some fun for future running! I can't believe you're on w7! On the one hand it feels as if I will never get there, but on the other hand, I never thought I'd get where I am now, so I'll just keep chugging along!

Silverfire, can't help you with the elliptical question, I'm afraid. It's less than a month ago that I had to go and google it because people kept taking about them and I had no idea what they were. Me no techie! You remember how long it took me just to get my bloody 5krunner app to behave

BigChiefHoHo, Don't worry too much about the match up; I don't think we're doing exactly the same program anyway, so week five is still our mutual 5th week of running, even if we aren't running precisely the same times/distances. Besides, I'm going on hols for three weeks starting this weekend anyway, so you may not be the only one repeating! Frankly, I'm more than a little nervous about being able to keep up my efforts! I will have access to the net intermittently, so look for my world-famous whining

See y'all Friday!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #88  
mossfootrunner!

Default Running Tights?

Hi again, everyone.

Since I'll be stateside soon, I was wondering about picking up some running tights- over here they run about 70-90 bucks for larger ladies. Does anyone use/wear them, and if so, where did you get them? I'll be in virginia, but would love a large chain store (Walmart?) or something that has branches everywhere.... Any experiences?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #89  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Thanks guys - That was my concern, the elliptical not translating to real running, since I want to be able to go for runs outside eventually (even have my route planned!)

I think my plan of attack will be - Get some glucosamine, Keep up my cardio on the elliptical as often as I can and keep trying to jog for 5 min a time! I don't want to start over if I can help it but I also don't want to anger my knees!

Glad to see that everyone else is doing soooo well!! Keep it up guys you all rock!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #90  

Default May I join?

Hey everyone -
I realize I'm late to the forum party, but hopefully you will let me sneak in.

I am doing C25K. I just started -- I'm on W1D3 -- although I have done it before (very successfully... went from couch to marathon finisher and lost 34 pounds in 5 months). Sadly, I fell off the health wagon and am back where I started. I'm finding it harder and harder to stay motivated; I keep wondering "How did I let this happen AGAIN?" My hope is that having a support team like this will help me stay strong when things aren't going as well as I would like.

I've been reading your posts and find everyone here to be really encouraging and motivating! Your stories and successes are an inspiration to me!

Cheers,
YoAdrian
YoAdrian is offline   Reply With Quote