3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Exercise!

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

2014 - C25K - We're all runners!

Old 03-08-2014, 02:25 AM   #31

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Congrats AwShucks!!!! I am so excited to hear that the 20 min run went well for you. I still think I will repeat W5D2 but I at least now I know someone who survived W5D3!
Old 03-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #32

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

So I just finished Week 1! Not much to report. It went fine, and I'm really excited to start week 2 on Monday.

EmmaD - I had a similar problem last time I finished C25K. I always do SO much better when I've got a plan to follow. Maybe you could try something like this and focus on setting new PRs for the 5k?

AwShucks - Congrats! 20 minutes is AWESOME, no matter how fast you do it!

Former maintainer, now losing again in 2014 after my second baby.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:18 AM   #33

BigChiefHoho - Congrats on finishing week 1. Keep us posted on how week 2 goes.

So I got on the treadmill tonight with the intention of repeated W5D2 since I had found the second 8 min run so difficult. Then I thought that instead of repeating day 2 I would jog for as much of the 20 mins as I could then walk for 3 mins and then finish the rest of the 20 mins.

I wanted to assess myself to see how long I would be able to go for so I knew how many more times I would have to repeat day 2 before I was ready to attempt the 20 min jog.

Well I completed the 20 min jog! and it wasn't that bad. I actually found it easier than the 8 min runs because I wasn't waiting for my break (I knew it wasn't coming).

Thank you AwShucks for posting about completing the 20 min run. It was actually your post that made me think that I might as well give it a try and see how far I could go for.

Last edited by Rated : 03-10-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 AM   #34
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126k/102.1/60k

Height: 162cm(ish)

Okay, getting frustrated with my app now. I'm wondering if MapMyRun and 5krunner are just fundamentally incompatible, because today I think it ate a couple of run sequences. I think it ate the first one completely, and the second one literally told me to stop running about 15 seconds after it told me to start.
Poop.
OTOH:
I ran for ninety seconds. It was so much harder than 60! I was like, "hey, who poured the cement in my lungs?!"
BUT:
I did it.

EmmaD, those voice prompts are like Forrest Gump's drill sergeant aren't they? I'm like, "I will do it for YOU, disembodied voice!" lol. but it really helps, doesn't it?

Oh, Wow! Awwshucks, that's fantastic! You're an inspiration to me, that's for sure. The idea of failing scares the heck out of me, but then I remember that the only run I need to worry about is the next one, and if for some reason I conk out, I'll just repeat it, no problem. That keeps me going, and I'm sure I'll get to 20min someday!

Bigchiefhoho, just make sure next week when you do week two it's actually week two, and not w1d3 again like I did, lol! I've got to get my bloody aps sorted!

Rated, I guess it's possible that the 8 minutes you did primed you for the 20 minutes, right?
Also, I just have good days and bad days, days when I'm feeling weaker and days when I've got more energy, so perhaps everything just came together on your 20min day! congrats!

See you all on Wednesday. I'm just ploddin' along, here....

History!: Obese Category III Goals Achieved:Obese II (<110kg) Sept 4-13
Goals: Obese I (<95kg) Overweight (<82kg) Normal range (<68kg) Ideal (60kg)
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #35

S/C/G: 180/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Well, I was moving through this program. I've lost my weight, and was taking about a month for each week on the program. (So, three months to reach week 3 of the program). That's because despite being active, my knees, glutes, and hips were very weak.

I just took a 25th wedding anniversary trip, and have been actively doing my physical therapy to improve knees and hips. But, the walking in Greece, combined with my overzealous dedication to the gym, has HURT my hips pretty bad.

I will be resuming low load exercises, laying off the squats and single leg deadlifts, clamshells, lunges etc... for a couple more weeks, and try to get my hips to not be angry any more. I'll reintroduce the lighter resistance exercises first.

If you haven't been a runner, and are over 50, even if you're fit and active, the C25K program can be hard, or even impossible, until you build up your hips, glutes, and quads.

I pass this discouraging story on, because sometimes its 2 steps forward, one step back.

I need to do PT much longer, before I restart this program. The good thing, is it let me know that the treadmill - unlike the elliptical - can give me much better feedback on how my glutes and hips are doing. The downside, is overuse of can QUICKLY - really quickly - lead to hip bursitis.

This sucks, frankly. Healing is slow.

Hit goal on December 14th 2013
Time to lower the goal, I guess!

Last edited by delmarva : 03-10-2014 at 10:18 AM.
delmarva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #36

Just finished w2d1! A lot harder than week one, even though it's not actually that much more running in total. I wish I had a nice little disembodied voice to pump me up. Staring at the second hand on my husband's watch is way less fun.

So, I've been looking at 5k races that happen around the end of my 9 weeks (optimistic, ain't I?), and the choices are a leeeetle bit overwhelming. Do I want to support the women's shelter? Lupus research? Kids with blood-clotting disorders? Tough choice! Leaning toward the kids, though, because their race has a t-shirt and is close to home. And scenic. I like scenic.

But anyway, my problem is that one of the races that I'm looking at is at the end of April, though, which'll be in week 8 of c25k. On the one hand, I love the park it's in (wetlands preserve, very pretty) and it's supposed to be a really great race. On the other hand, I won't have actually run 5k yet by that time. What would you do? Risk having to walk, or wait for a later race to be sure I can run it all?

Way to go on the 20-minute run, Rated! Always nice to find yourself capable of something you never expected.

Magicsusan - Did w2d1 today, and holy crap you're right. 90 seconds feels ten times as long as 60 seconds. But hey, we did it, yeah?

delmarva - So sorry you're injured! That really sucks. Sounds like you've got a decent plan for moving forward, though. And Greece sounds like it'd be amaaaazing.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #37
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Hi y'all! Looks like everyone is moving on! Rated, you must feel great. Doesn't 20 minutes feel like you finished a marathon?! Way to go!

Yes, MagicSusan, I think I definitely have good days and bad days, too, as each week gets harder, but that lets us know we're progressing, right? Hang in there everybody.

Delmarva brought up some points that really needed to be made. Everyone will not have the same experience on this program. If you try it, keep an eye on your body's reaction to the stress of running. I never dreamed I could run. I was sure it would be too strenuous for my joints. But, so far, it's not. Please keep in mind that "your mileage may vary."

Tonight I moved on to W6D1 -- 5 min walk, 5 run, 3 walk, 8 run, 3 walk, 5 run, 5 walk. Honestly, I was expecting this to be a piece of cake, but it wasn't. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I think I upped my speed a bit, and it was definitely warm in the gym today (no AC on), and I felt a little more winded as I continued. I completed it, but found myself having to catch my breath a little more during the walk segments. No one said it would be easy, right?

Losing again since January 2012

"Tomorrow is a new day; You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." Ralph Waldo Emerson
(3.10.14) I resolve to lose the last 60lbs to make it all the way to goal! One blossom = 5lbs

Last edited by AwShucks : 03-10-2014 at 10:23 PM.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 AM   #38
mossfootrunner!

Delmarva, I'm so sorry you're being plagued! It's really demoralizing when you've made the decision to get a healthier lifestyle and you have to fight with all these unhealthy setbacks! I did do a *lot* of research (since I'm still 235lbs/106k) because I didn't want to knacker my joints. It still seems to be a bit of a crap shoot, though, doesn't it? There always seems to be someone who took no precautions and started running in their Chucks at 300lbs who has no problems, and someone else who does everything right and still does damage I hope you get it all sorted out quickly, and can stay active while you heal!

Big Chief Hoho, I live with the hope that w2d2 will be survivable since we have done w2d1 and lived to tell the tale! As for the races, why wait? I would go for the pretty one, it sounds like an amazing experience and who gives a turkey if you have to walk some of it? You can run it again next year, and compare your times!

Tomorrow is my next run. I weighed in this morning; lost the 300g I had gained before last weigh-in. I feel like my muscle/fat composition is changing, but all the same, I'm dragging around about 100 extra pounds and I'd really love to see some of it go!

See you all tomorrow after w2d2

Old 03-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #39

S/C/G: 180/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I appreciate all the concern expressed here.
I shared my story, because actually I have gotten quite fit over the last year. After losing the weight, I swim twice a week, play water polo another night, and use the rowing machine, elliptical and free weights on other days. Even got my resting heart rate down from 74 to 59! I do interval training twice a week - so I didn't have problems with huffing and puffing on the C25K program.

But, that made no difference to my poor hips.

I should have known I'd have these problems when I first tried using a treadmill. Elliptical machine - no problem. Treadmill - it made my hips hurt.

My physical therapist, after totally rehabbing my 2 shoulders (multiple cuff tears), had just started working on my knees and hips with me.... one problem at a time. So it was my OVER-EXUBERANCE to undertake C25K, before building up muscle strength in those joints.

So, if you feel an ache in your hips, even if you're otherwise fit, you may want to sidestep, and build up your glutes, hamstrings, knees and hips first. Runner's magazines focus on this a lot, so it's no surprise.

Don't do like me, and decide to push it too much. The ache is a good warning sign. I should not have been fooled that being fit in other ways meant I could ignore the hip pain.

I'll be back!!!!! The exercises were working; I was just pretending I was 20 years old again, I guess.

Hit goal on December 14th 2013
Time to lower the goal, I guess!
delmarva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #40
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Hey everyone, checking in.

I'm still hung up on day 1 of W5. Now that I am working with a trainer, I don't seem to have it in me to go for a run after that! Imagine that I'm planning on trying to get running in on alternate days now. I will get past day 1 of W5!!!

I'm glad to see everyone else still trucking along

10lb Weight Loss (287) √ | 20lb Weight Loss (277) √| 35lb Weight Loss (262) √ | Class I Obesity BMI (250) √ |
50lb Weight Loss (247) √ |
60lbs HALFWAY THERE | 65lb Weight Loss (232) | Overweight BMI (223)
| 85lb Weight Loss (217)
|ONEderland (199) | 100 Pounds Lost (197) | NORMAL BMI (185)
| 120lb Weight Loss (177)

One for every 5 lbs lost

F You Fatness

Last edited by Silverfire : 03-11-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:16 PM   #41
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Hi Silverfire -- You're paying for the trainer's time and expertise, so I know that you want to give that your all. I wouldn't blame you if you decided to give this up and start again later in the year. Hang in there if you can! You're SO close to finishing!!

MagicSusan -- You had to bring up losing weight! Since you mention it, I've not lost a pound since I began this program. In fact, I've put on about 5 lbs. I've recently recommitted to lowering my carbs again, and hope to see the scale budge. I, too, feel more muscular -- well, maybe just not as "squishy" as I've always been. ha! How can exercise be bad, right? Even if it's not burning off the fat, it's got to be doing our bodies good.

How's everyone else doing with weight loss while going through the program?

Losing again since January 2012

"Tomorrow is a new day; You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." Ralph Waldo Emerson
(3.10.14) I resolve to lose the last 60lbs to make it all the way to goal! One blossom = 5lbs
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #42

MagicSusan - That is really frustrating that your apps won't work together. I have you thought about downloading a difference couch 2 5K app? I know there are lots out there maybe you could find one that works better with MapMyRun.

BigChiefHoho - Go with the race in April even though you will only be in week 8. Honestly week 8 is almost 30 mins of running anyways and it will also keep you on track. If you have to walk some who cares.... I am sure you won't be the only one.

Silverfire - Glad things are going well with the trainer. If you don't have any energy left afterward you must be doing something right.

AwShucks - My weight loss has been pretty steady while on this program but I am also eating a calorie deficit and weight lifting 3 times a week so who knows what is actually causing the weight loss. But I wouldn't even care if I lost any weight since I can feel my cardio improving in day to day life.

Today I was sore and tired from my weight work out yesterday so I decided to repeat W5D1. I attempted W6D1 and even though it had walking breaks the first 5 mins took everything I had so I knew I wouldn't make it through 8 mins.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:06 AM   #43
mossfootrunner!

Hello, everyone. I think I've figured out my app problems; This morning I didn't even start MapMyRun and I still didn't get my voice prompts, so I think it's because I started my itunes first and then 5krunner. Friday I will try MMR, then 5krunner, *then* music. Did running just get too complicated?

Anyway, I survived w2d2. It still feels shorter, even though the running is harder, but I think that's because you only run a total of 6x, instead of 8 like at the end of week one. So far so good- no joint pain, and I do finish the running segments, even if I am panting in a really unattractive way by the end of them, ha ha...

Delmarva- yeah. I keep forgetting I'm 46. It's weird, isn't it. The inside of my head is still 30, can't the rest of me be?

Silverfire, even if you're not advancing, I think there's probably still a lot of good in maintaining at w5d1- as opposed to slipping back to earlier weeks, I mean. When you've kind of got a handle on the other training, you can move on... I just mean, don't injure yourself overdoing it, cause that will definitely slow you down!

AwShucks- I definitely feel firmer. My lungs feel bigger too, But I read several articles about how people tend to gain a bit before losing when they take up running (or many other strenuous exercise programs) because the muscles are hogging water to repair themselves. I know this running is good, I'm just ready to see some of the weight go!

Rated, I'm dead cert I'll be repeating some days as the weeks get tougher- even if it's a repetition, it's still exercise, and still doing your body good. And FWIW, those 90 second chunks I did today were quite long enough, thank you

See y'all Friday.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #44

Thanks, magicsusan and Rated, I think I'm gonna go ahead and sign up for the April one. The only hitch is that my husband may or may not be out on a carrier at that time, but if he is we'll figure something out. It'll be nice to have something specific to train for!

I just finished w2d2, and it went... okay? Harder than w2d1, for some reason. Not sure if it was because doing it on the treadmill was super boring, or I had the treadmill set faster than I was running outside, or because I missed breakfast and was running low on energy. Regardless, I finished it, so it's all good.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 AM   #45
Determined!

S/C/G: 84.3kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 5'4"/164cm

Hi guys! Quick check in as it's late here. I've been sick, so i've been out for a week. Did my first run again this morning. Initially I felt pretty tired, then I hit my stride in the middle and then felt okay, then felt really tired again at the end. Feeling pretty wiped now. I want to run again on Saturday but we're meant to be getting a cyclone here - not sure that running in a cyclone works so well!?

Glad to see everyone is still chugging along

lilmisschattabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.