Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #256  
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

I use walk.jog.fm website to get ideas for playlists suited to my pace.

I have an eclectic taste, usually love rock music but for running and walking I listen to pop music more so. P!nk, Eminem, Katy Perry, Michael Jackson but then some metal and rock too. Covers are good for me - pop songs done by Metallica!
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #257  
Nuttin to it but to do it

S/C/G: 270/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6''

Wk 7 D 1 completed! Who knew I would ever be able to jog 25 minutes without stopping??! It blows my mind!

When I finish I'm going to start the 5k to 10k app (I have already downloaded it!) and am signed up to run a 10k in November. I'm hoping we can start a group to help us stay motivated while learning the 10 k distance. Thoughts?
KarinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #258  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

KarinRose, I agree. I think we ought to start a c25k graduates thread or something so that we can motivate each other after we finish this even if we all start on different programs. Anyone else interested?

I'm planning to do a 5k this summer just to figure out how races work, and I've got my eye on a 10k and *gasp* a 10-miler this winter. So we'll see how all that goes. I just ran a full 5k last night (by myself, not a race) and did it in 38 minutes and 14 seconds, so I'm feeling pretty good about things.

Last edited by BigChiefHoho; 05-23-2014 at 12:42 PM.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #259  

Week 7 day 2 done! It is so weird how there is still a disconnect between my mind that thinks I can't do it and reality where it is actually being done!

Can't believe there is a little over two weeks to go. I'm signed up to run a 5k on June 14th. I am not worried about time, I just want to jog as much of it as humanly possible! Then I'll have the excitement of finishing one and a base time to improve upon in the future!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #260  

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 8in

I hope you don't mind me muscling in here..... I started C25K last, erm, September I think and because of ice and snow here (not to mention too much weight) did most of it on the treadmill. I got totally bored with it after I could run 30mins so did some interval stuff until I started running outside and have just run my first 10km race.

I usually run with music, and have old albums from the eighties which I used to listen to a lot on my phone on Spotify. I used the interval podcasts (DJ runner I think) for the C25K at the gym but found the longer pieces too dull for me. But there is an app for android, called record beater where you can download music lists that are matched to your own cadence or rhythm.

So from zero running capacity to 10km races in about 8 months - IT CAN BE DONE! And now I just love it, I love running outside and hitting that zone. I'm not at all fast and time doesn't matter, I just love the rhythm and fat I can do it.

If there is a 'graduates' group, I'd love to join. This running stuff is fantastic. I never in a million years would have thought of me enjoying it, but it is so motivating. And the feeling of acheivement crossing that finishing line.....wow.

Go for it people
CrazyCatWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #261  

Thanks, Crazycatwoman! And bravo on how far you have come!!!

Week 7 is DONE! :-)
Old 05-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #262  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I was too embarrassed to even look when I last posted in here... I finished the program in February, was "running for 30 minutes" occasionally - note NOT regularly - after that, and fell off the wagon completely due to illness and work travel.

Water under the bridge, to use another cliche.

I started up again today, unsure of where to begin. It has been about a month since I have run at all. I went all the way back to Week 3, and sure enough, that was the right place to begin. I totally misjudged my distance since I was used to going so much further, and I ended up with a big walk at the end.

Nowhere to go but up...

I like the idea of a graduates thread!! I have finished C25K TWICE now and never really had a followup plan after that so I ended up stopping running. I didn't feel like I fit in any of the longterm runners threads. ... I don't have any interest in running more than 5K at a time and/or more than 30-45 minutes at a time. I was thinking I needed to work on distance or speed but wasn't able to keep it interesting in the absence of intervals....

Congrats to all the graduates and keep on

BTW I was nowhere near 5K at the end of C25K , more like 3K the second time

Last edited by EmmaD; 05-26-2014 at 03:24 PM.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #263  

Okay, looks like there's some interest in a graduates thread, so I just posted one up. I'll keep checking in here from time to time, too, but I'm going to keep my progress and planning in the graduates thread. I encourage everybody to migrate over there as you finish up so we'll be able to keep each other motivated and encouraged to keep progressing!
Old 05-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #264  

Wk 8 d 1 done! 28 minutes! Woohoo!!! :-)
Old 05-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #265  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Congrats to all the graduates, and great idea making a new thread for that! Can't wait to join

I'm struggling with Week 4. I got through the first 3 and 5 minute sections, and the second 3 minute section, but failed at the second 5 minute section! I think I'll hang out at week 4 for a bit and get these 5 minute chunks down before I move on. I didn't want to repeat, but oh well!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #266  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Hello! I'm new to the exercise scene, although I've been walking for a few months now. I'm to the point where I feel *off* if I didn't walk a day. How strange is that? I never thought I'd get to that point, where I NEED to move or I feel strange. I actually think I could turn out to be a runner.

Given that. I downloaded the C25K app today and am dragging my son out along with me to start today. Coincidentally, there is a color run 5k in my city almost right at the end of the program, so I'll sign up for that...which should be a fantastic reward.

Here we go!

Last edited by Vex; 05-30-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #267  

Silverfire, it is possible that you might be going too fast. Have you tried going slower on the longer bits?

I have been going through the program at 4.0 but recently had to up it to 4.1 or 4.2 because I could no longer go that slow.

I know it is super slow but I have been able to keep to the schedule and now feel my body naturally going towards faster pace (slooowly). This seems to line up with what I have read, "time and form first, speed second."
Old 05-31-2014, 10:28 PM   #268  
Put good in, get good out

S/C/G: 290/283/200

I suppose I'm behind the trend right now, but I just started W1D1 and boy was it hard!

I noticed that cardio wise I'm okay but my body has a hard time keeping up with how fast I mentally want to go. I'm not sure if I'm crazy, or if that's physically possible!

Thanks for the motivation y'all!
Airycuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #269  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Made it through a full day of W4! Woo! I slowed my pace down from 7.2 to 7.0 (I walk at 4.5-5.0) My knees are pretty angry today though but I'm glad I did it anyway.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #270  

KarinRose - Congrats on w8d1! That's awesome.

Good luck, Vex and Airycuh!

Silverfire, haha, that speed blows my mind. I'm excited if I do 12-minute miles (5mph) consistently. 3mph is a brisk walk for me. Maybe it's the height difference - you've got eight inches on me. Anyway, I'm with KarinRose. Slowing down is probably the answer if you're having a hard time completing days. Glad it worked for you for w4!