2014 - C25K - We're all runners!

You're on Page 14 of 28
Go to
  • mb2004 - Aww, thanks! It's a ring sling. I love it, but it only works when the babes are super tiny. After about 12 pounds or so I have to switch to the ergo because the sling hurts my back. As for your off days, maybe consider getting a cheap bike off craigslist or something? Or just hit the weights.

xRiotGirl - Hey, you look familiar! Glad to see you over here.

KarinRose - Don't be scared! I was really worried about week 5, but it was, amazingly, no big deal. I mean, it was hard and all, but the program really works and by the time you get there you'll be able to handle it.

magicsusan - Yeah, exactly. This is teaching me how to really be disciplined to make myself do stuff even when I don't feel like it. I'm learning that I really can just make my legs keep moving even when I'm tired.
  • bigchiefhoho thats exactly what we use, a ring sling then ergo. occasionally he goes on my hip in the RS, but not often. Yesterday I played pickleball, and went for a walk. Getting ready for my run today.
  • Hi everyone,

I'm downloading the zen labs c25k app on my phone now. I already went to the gym today, but I plan on doing workout one tomorrow. I think I'll skip the gym and do it outside. It's always annoying to have to change speeds on the treadmill. :/
  • Whew week 2 DONE!!! Ready to take on Week 3!
  • Nice job mb2004!

I completed day one of week one today. It was great. Not very hot outside and it was sunny. I feel awesome!
  • Fleurdelis It feels awesome knowing that you completed a day! Great Job!!
  • Quote: Fleurdelis It feels awesome knowing that you completed a day! Great Job!!
    Definitely!! I'm so ready to do workout 2 tomorrow!!
  • Losing weight definitely helps with speed. I have lost about 20kg (50lb I think) so I don't feel so heavy.
    I did about 2km today, running up inclines against fierce wind.
    Last week I did 1km as fast as I could and managed 6:50pace. (KM)
    I am trying to build up again so I can do 5km.
  • I loved babywearing. I used the ring sling for the first year with my last baby, so much easier than wraps and even the Ergo ( I have 5 kids). But then he was too heavy. He is almost 3 and sometimes hubby will use the Ergo but he's too heavy for me now.
  • Lol, my babywearing days are over, but I wore mine plenty.

Anyway, As to the running...

I'm done!
    Sort of.

It's like this:
    I finished my c25k app and ran 35 minutes today. W8d3 completed. I gave up on the actual app ages ago because sometimes it would give me the prompts and sometimes not, so by the time I go to running in one chunk, I just set the timer for the appropriate time.
    What I began using instead was Map My Run. Sadly, in honor of my last day, MMR decided to go bonkers.

That is, unless I really *did* go from running 3.06k in 29 minutes and 3.38k in 31 min to running 5.92k in 35 min. Ha ha ha, no.

But who cares? I did my 35 minutes, and most of the time the stupid app works- has the hiccups today, I guess, so I'll hang around for a bit trying to get faster.

Hello Fleurdelis, keep at it! It actually works! I still kind of can't believe it! 35 minutes! First time in my life

Hello the rest of you!
  • *sigh* Only just joined this group and already I have to stop my progress. My shoulder has been bothering me for a few weeks, a pinched nerve maybe. Anyway, I transitioned into running because I figured it would be easier on my shoulder than kickboxing, (duh), and also because I've just been wanting to do it. WELL, my shoulder only seems to be getting worse, so instead I'm just going to take a break from my workouts completely. Kinda sucks. But hopefully running won't seem impossibly hard, all over again, when I do try and get back into it.

Thanks for the welcomes, anyway. I shall be back!
  • I completed W6D3 yesterday morning and took more photos of the scenery during the walking portions:

I usually run around 9 or so at night, but it's been a little cooler than usual lately so I ventured out in the sunshine. I'm getting congested again, but am hoping it's only allergies; as you can see everything is in bloom around here!

Oh, and you can see one of my poor dogs peeking under the porch door! I wish I could take them with, that would be fun! I do enjoy the time to myself immensely though. My thoughts, my music, my own path.

The 22 minutes wasn't so bad, but I started out tired. It was probably a mistake to run on an empty stomach and I was going even more slowly than usual (how is that even possible? ), but as usual I found I was able to push past all my doubts. And I think that's what amazes me the most about all this. I'm experiencing the self-discipline that I never knew I had, and I can sense it spreading into other areas of my life. I don't think I ever enjoyed pushing myself physically before; it was extremely uncomfortable and far too easy to give up on. Even for the short time I was a skinny little kid, I hated the annual mile run we had to do at school and would slow to walk whenever I felt I could get away with it. Now I find myself wondering how much more I'm capable of.
  • Week 3 done!

I feel like the rest of the program is 2/3 mental. Anyone have any suggestions of how to keep one's head in the game for the longer segments?
  • Just a couple of things, KarinRose...

First, due to the gradual build of the program, the longer sections don't seem soooo long. What I mean is, I have no problem going for a 10min walk- or 30, or an hour. Now, of course the jogging is harder than a walk, but I didn't find it as hard as I had anticipated because it built up gradually.

Second, knowing you only need to do one (or two, or four) segments instead of four (six, eight) helps too. "Already half/quarter of the way done!"

Third, music, audiobooks, a nice place to run. I love to get distracted by moss, toadstools, birdies...

Just keep plodding. Just do not stop, until your timer goes off. Good luck!
  • Elladorine, lol your dog...