Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 10:49 AM   #1  

Angry

Welcome to the new thread!

Here's my plan for this upcoming week -- I'm going to try to move on to much harder tapes in the series, and will begin rotating The Firm "Tortoise" and "Hare" tapes. I previewed Hare last night, and I was all relaxed about it....until half an hour into it, when the aerobics stopped....and the really hard sculpting work began! Eeek! That legwork is TOUGH. I quailed in my sneakers! But it's time for me to challenge myself, so I'm going to try it. With beginner modifications of course! You can bet when they say "Beginners use light weights or no weights," I'm going to listen! So here's my plan:

M: Firm: Hare
T: going to the opera, no workout -- mile walk to theatre
W: Firm: Tortoise
Th: Firm: Hare
F: planned rest

One of those days we're meeting a friend for dinner, but I'm going to try to schedule it for late enough that I have time to rush home + get a workout in. I really really hate it when I'm looking at only 2 workouts for a week!
Hope everyone's weekend went well, and I look forward to seeing everyone's plan for the week!
Old 03-12-2001, 10:59 AM   #2  

Oh! I forgot to say -- I might sub in Firm: Ballroom Aerobics for tonight's Hare, based on how sore I feel. I haven't made up my mind yet, so I'm waiting to see how my legs feel -- after the tough Abs,Buns, + Thighs workout last night, I haven't decided yet if it's a good idea to do the hard legwork in Hare on this consecutive day. We'll see!
Old 03-12-2001, 11:35 AM   #3  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default Good Morning!

Hope you all had a good weekend. Mine wasn't too bad. As always high in fat & cals, but got a good housecleaning workout yesterday, so I'm feelin alright!

I total forgot to weigh in on Friday! What a scatterbrain I am! So, I'll weigh in later today.

Here's my weeks plan:
Mon - Curves, Marching video (or walk outside)
Tues - Curves, Bowling
Wed - Curves, Marching video (or walk outside)
Thurs - Curves, Aerobic video
Fri - Curves

At least that's my plan. I've implemented a new housekeeping "system" as per www.flylady.net which I heard about on an email discussion list I belong to, so I'll have to figure out how to get my daily assignments from her done, as well as extra exercise. I'll get it all figured out eventually though.

Talk to ya later girls!
Marvin
Old 03-12-2001, 01:39 PM   #4  
Losing it!

Default This weeks plan

SUN - a.m. REST
p.m. abs & lowerbody (Rachel McLish In Shape)

MON - a.m. Water aerobics, swim laps
p.m. abs, yoga (P.M. Yoga - Firm More 5 Day Abs)

TUES - a.m. step workout (Kathy Smith Step )
p.m. abs, upper body (Karen Voight Firm Arms & Abs)

WED - a.m. 30 min Firm Video (classic v.1 wish me luck )
p.m. Abs, stretch (K. Voight Pure Simple Stretch -Firm M5D Abs)

THUR - a.m. Crunch aerobic tape (Hi/Lo)
p.m. abs, lower body (K. Voight Lean Legs & Buns - Firm M5D Abs)

FRI - a.m. Water aerobics, swim laps
p.m. abs , yoga ( a.m. yoga - Firm M5D abs)

SAT - a.m. Walk 2 miles
p.m. abs, upper body (R. McLish In Shape - Firm M5D Abs
Old 03-12-2001, 03:02 PM   #5  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

I told you I was getting scatterbrained! I totally forgot to tell you about how Copperblu's Enchilada Pie went over on Friday night.

Surprise! DH really liked it! He even went back for seconds, which is the true test of any recipe! At first, he complained, "beans again!" but after cleaning his first plate, he gave it a big thumbs up!

Thanks again Copperblu!

Marvin
Old 03-12-2001, 04:41 PM   #6  

MarvinTM: Yay! I'm so glad to hear your DH liked the Enchilada Pie! Honestly, I was skeptical of the beans at first too! But then the cheese won me over. Now if only I can get my DH to prefer the healthier version!
You've got a full 5 weekdays of exercise planned -- good for you! I always mean to get in 5 weekday workouts like a good "Everyday Exerciser"...
Like you, I also had a weekend high in fat + cals -- I was pretty unhappy when I looked at the calories eaten vs. calories burned chart on Fitday for Friday and Saturday! Note to self: hard cider is WAY high in calories! I'm bummed, but I have to hand it to Fitday -- those charts are a real eye-opener, even as approximations!
Oh well -- overall I'm burning more than I'm taking in, so with a little more caution, I should be able to keep from hitting a weekend-induced plateau. Must remember the big picture, but not lose track of all the details in doing so.

MinyMony: Kudos on your ambitious plan! You are going to work it! And a special good luck from me on Firm Vol. 1 -- just the bits I see in previews scare the heck out of me!! I have a copy, but am "saving" it until I think I might be ready to take it on without dying! Those Karen Voight tapes aren't for slouches either! Go forth + kick butt!

Hey Big Sal, islandmama, zookeeper, and mustang sally -- where are you guys?
Old 03-13-2001, 10:32 AM   #7  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default Yay! Yay! Yay!

Weigh in was fabulous! I lost five pounds since the first! I still have trouble believing it! I feel great, but you know hwat my first thought was? Great, now I can have some fries! But I stayed strong, and had a healthy dinner last night. It helped some that dh has a cold and only wanted soup & sandwich, so that's what we had.

The bad news is that I feel like crap too. I always get sick when he does, so I'm just waiting for it. I skipped my second workout last night in celebration of my loss, and plan on only doing Curves today. Bowling will just be too much if I want to fight off this cold! Plus, since dh is home sick, I want to go home and take care of him.....

Copperblu, I think the only reason my dh likes the beany version of the enchilada pie, is because he never had the original! Is there any way to wipe the memory from your dh's mind? Brainwashing, perhaps!!! :laughing:

Have you tried working out in the mornings? Coming from me, this sounds silly, as I can't drag my arse out of bed until the last possible second! But, maybe, if you tried even a short workout, at least you'd get something in everyday... Just a thought!

Mini, I wish I could be as dedicated as you are! Imagine, all those workouts! That's why I had to join Curves, cause now, it's an appointment that I HAVE to keep, rather than a personal workout that I only feel a little guilty about missing! Curves costs too much to skip out on! Too each her own, right?

Talk to ya later!
Marvin
Old 03-13-2001, 10:33 AM   #8  

I had the worst night last night! I tried valiantly to do the Hare tape as planned, but the ballroom aerobics that looked so fun + easy in preview turned out to be wildly confusing in reality! I couldn't seem to ever catch up + was always on the wrong leg or something! After about 20 minutes, I gave up in frustration. I then tried the strict Ballroom Aerobics tape, since I know there's a little more cueing in that one, but to no avail -- after 10 minutes that was history too. THEN I tried to preview one of my other Firm tapes that I hadn't looked at before...and the tape got stuck in the VCR!!! Argh!

Fast-forward to me attempting to cook dinner and meeting with a series of small disasters, discovering that my favorite dish is chipped, and ultimately mistakenly leaving a pan on low throughout dinner so that the leftovers are ruined (although thankfully not the pan). What a terrible, no-good, very bad day!

As I said to DH though, I have to remember that I've already achieved my immediate + most important goal of getting my pants to fit properly again and making a commitment to exercise. I have to remember that if I get only a weak workout in or something doesn't go according to plan, that doesn't mean that everything is going to ****. It's just a small setback, and one weak workout doesn't mean I'm going to gain those 5lbs back or lose the muscle tone I've acquired. It's a lifelong commitment + I'm in it for the long haul. If I only manage 2 workouts in a week, it's still more than I was getting before!

There. I needed to peptalk myself.

As for the rest of the week, I've revised my plan -- based on my problems getting through the new tape, I'm not sure what tapes I'll ultimately end up doing -- though I'm going to try to give Hare another shot (or 10) -- so I'll have to update you as I go rather than sticking to the specific plan I laid out.
Old 03-13-2001, 10:43 AM   #9  

Whoop! MarvinTM, I didn't see your post before I posted!

Congratulations on the 5 lbs!!!!! That's fabulous!! A nice reward for all your hard work, no? I know what you mean about translating a loss into a "reward" of bad foods! It's so easy to think, "I've been working so hard, I deserve some Hagen-Daas!" Tricky brains, always plotting against us! But you ate healthily instead! I think that's a huge triumph, and you deserve some kudos.

Be careful with that cold -- I had a similar "cold", and it turned out to be a weird variety of flu that's going around. Knocked me on my kiester for a whole week!

I wish I could workout in the morning -- I'd try, even though I LOATHE morning, just for the benefit of knowing I'd be able to get something in regardless of my schedule. But I have downstairs neighbors + since we live in a brownstone, there are only subfloors between us (it wasn't originally intended for multiple families, obviously) -- they hear every heavy footfall! I try to workout when they're not there so that I don't bother them -- I don't want to wake them up at the crack of dawn with my crashes off the step! Also, we live in a small one-bedroom -- I'd have to get up an hour before DH so that I could have the living room, which would mean I'd be getting up at 5:30. I'm not sure that's physically possible (for me).
Old 03-13-2001, 12:36 PM   #10  
WalkByFaith NotBySight

Default Back on the wagon!

Confession time: I haven't worked out since Friday, but I did get back on the wagon and went and lifted weights this morning. I'm planning on doubling up on my exercise today since I missed three days. Tomorrow is my scheduled Advanced Tae Bo day, but since I havent done TB since last Thursday, I figured I'd better do a warm up Basic today to prepare for the toughie tomorrow!

My son was terribly sick since last Wednesday so everything went downhill from there. Today is the first day he seems back to normal (Thankfully!). He lost 2.5-3 lbs in the last 6 days! This is a 3yo that can normally out-eat me!

Let me know how Flylady is. I belong to a list called A Plan of Attack (APOA). Last year this really helped me get going, but I've since slacked off and have been considering joining Flylady (or just going back to the initial APOA - master plan book list). With my son being sick, my house is now a cluttered disaster - I could use the boost!

Take care everyone!
Old 03-13-2001, 05:00 PM   #11  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Hey Lisa!

Congrats on getting back on the wagon! That is a great achievement in itself! Sometimes the only thing that keeps me going is knowing what a waste my Curves membership is ($) if I don't use it as much as possible ~ the more I use it, the less it costs per use, right?

Flylady, so far (2 days!) is great! The mass emailing is a little overwhelming at first, but you learn to delete what you don't need that day... The idea is that you start out with a few set rules - shiny sink, before bed and morning routines, etc... Then once that's down, you add the other stuff gradually so as not to overwhelm yourself. My problem is wanting to do too much at once, so I'm staying focused on maintaining my basics. I'm really kinda excited about it ~ I just wish I had a computer at home, so I could get all the reminders on the weekends too! Maybe someday {sigh}

Copperblu, congrats on trying the new tapes, and for keeping a good attitude about it! Sometimes life is just so frustrating!!!!

Sometimes, I forget that other people live with neighbours (our closest is like a mile away!) so I never even thought of that! I do have a similar problem though ~ I can't be banging and stomping away in the next room while dh is sleeping ~ he complains I'm too loud when I'm TRYING to be quiet! Lol!

See ya all later!
Marvin
Old 03-13-2001, 06:57 PM   #12  

Default I'm new

I am new to 3FC and I am struggling with diet AND with exercise. I am trying to find an exercise buddy that will help keep me accountable for when I do (and don't) work out. Is this the right place for me?
Old 03-14-2001, 05:06 AM   #13  
Vegetarian

I'm here, I'm here.
Unfortunately, my whole family is sick with something. Last night, within about 10 minutes, we were all sick. WEIRD. I am really feeling gross today. My temp. has been over 104 all day, and I have to take care of my 2 sick babies. Today is not my best day! I have been working out 6 days a week (3 cardio-3 weights), and I missed my first one today. Who knows what tomorrow will be. I'll probably take the day off excercise tomorrow too. But my nutrtion plan is still on track. I hope I don't lose too much muscle during this bug.
Well, sorry I can't be upbeat, but I feel terrible. I gotta go. Love you all. IslandMama
Old 03-14-2001, 09:17 AM   #14  
Losing it!

Default Welcome Indiana

Indiana Welcome to Everyday Exercisers! you have definitely found the right place! We can use all the support we can get in this department. This exercise thing does not come easy for me anyway!

Well, I feel so far behind. I've got lot of posts to read through. But on the exercise front - I missed both my a.m. and p.m. workouts yesterday. I'm not too stressed about it because Monday the gym scale read 158 and yesterday my home scale read 159 for a millisecond. Add to that I was still sore yesterday from Monday's water aerobics and toning - I felt like I could afford a day off.

Copperblu Today I tried my Firm Classic V1. OH MY GOSH....... My goal was 30 minutes (half the tape). Around 8 minutes in my goal switched to 20 minutes. And around 10 minutes in I just stood there watching this little bitty woman go...I haven't done jumping jacks since middle school, I think. And finally at around 15 minutes in my goal became...yes...15 minutes! Whew. I'm still optimistic that I can get the second half of that workout sometime later.

Last edited by Mini Mony; 03-14-2001 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-14-2001, 10:36 AM   #15  

Hi everyone!

Indiana: Welcome!! Great to have a new poster! I think this is a great place to get the support of a "workout buddy" to whom you feel responsible. Posting my weekly goals has definitely made me much more accountable for my plans + slip-ups. And everyone picks you up when you have a low day, and makes you want to get back on the wagon again!

Zookeeper: Don't feel bad about not working out since Friday! I don't "officially" work out on the weekend, and tend not to have time on Friday, so it's often 3 days of no workouts. I try to get in a walk or something, but I don't get to do a tape unless something happens to completely change my schedule. It's not the days off that count, but the fact that you're getting right back on track! That's not a failure, that's a success!

islandmama: I'm sorry to hear you're sick! My sympathies! Try not to get too upset about missing workouts -- your body needs some rest, and you're doing the right thing by listening to it. I have complete faith that you'll be right back in the groove once you recover. And I'm sure with all your hard work, one week can't undo all the great strides you've made! I hope you feel better soon, and don't push yourself too hard.

MinyMony: I'm so proud of you for trying Vol. 1! That tape scares the **** out of me! I see little Susan Harris throwing around these 12lb weights like they were nothing, jumping + doing about 10,000 leg lifts and having a grand old time. She doesn't look like it's troubling her at all! Won't it be a huge accomplishment when we can get through the whole tape? I look forward to that day!
I'm going to try the Hare tape again tonight -- I'm sure that I just need to do it a few times + eventually I'll get the ballroom aerobics down, but it's hard when I have no step experience at all -- I don't even know the basic terminology! But the show must go on, as they say, and I'll never improve if I don't even start! At least this time I'm not still completely sore from the ABT workout!

Update: went to the opera last night, which was great. Walked to the theatre, which doesn't count for much, but at least it made me feel a shade better about the HUGE plate of Thai red curry chicken I ate (with coconut milk, oh yes). And the FOUR pieces of pizza I'd had for lunch. At least they were thin crust, + 2 were just cheese -- but still. We were doing a mailing -- some physical labor at least -- but we always order such unhealthy food for our group lunch, almost always pizza. Alas. On to my Scarlett O'Hara motto: "Tomorrow is another day." Today I've brought healthy food from home, and have good leftovers for dinner, rather than evil takeout.
Closed Thread