Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default Jack LaLanne: exercise advocate and very early anti-sugar advocate

For you youngins, you should look up Jack LaLanne.

I am 48 and I kind of, sort of remember him. I also remember his back story which has more meaning to me now that I am going low carb and have given up sweet treats.

He was remarkable. Growing up he didn't like how hyper he was, aggressive. He set out to change it and noticed sugar was very harmful to him. Way before even the science in the 1970s that was subsequently suppressed he was anti-sugar.

Thanks Jack. I wish I'd had listened to you even earlier.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/connie..._b_813232.html
Old 01-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Jack lalane was awesome and was also well known for juicing, including lots of fruits. I'm not a big fan of juicing myself but it seemed to work for him. So although he didn't consume refined sugars he definitely ate lots of fruit sugars.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #3  
diamondgeog

Good point. I wonder how much he actually did himself. But he did promote it. Hopefully he did more veggie juicing in his own life. Guess he wasn't immune from wanting to cash in.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

This article is pretty consistent with what I've heard of his diet, which is a low fat one
http://www.boxingscene.com/weight-loss/33135.php

What worked for him may not work for others.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #5  
diamondgeog

Sounds like he did more veggies than fruit. And probably very few of us could do his daily hours of working out. But good point that there is not one path to health. Similar paths perhaps, but not exactly the same.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #6  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I am 53 so I vaguely remember him, I do have a precious black and white photo of me and a little friend, we were less than 2 years old, sitting on the floor, the tv is on a stand in front of us, and Jack LaLanne was on; I am sitting with my legs straight out and my forehead is down on my knees wish i could do that now! My mom and her friend (the other baby's mom) would get together in the mornings, do the Jack LaLanne show, then probably have a coffee and a smoke, LOL

Jack was surely ahead of his time. I do love that he promoted fitness and kept himself in wonderful shape up til his death.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 212.6/144.2/121

Height: 5'5"

I am 56 and I remember the Jack LaLane exercise show. But I don't know if it was an original or a re-run. I know I used to see a lot of shows after school, that I think were actually old tv series, but they weren't old to me.
buddha belly is offline   Reply With Quote