Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default Yahhohho! First 5K done!. Goal of not stopping jogging met!

Did my first 5K today. It was a lot of fun. My goal before it started was to not stop jogging. I didn't care how slow I was moving I just did not want to stop.

I made that. I was using an app called RunHelper free from the people who do Ease Into 5K. I highly recommend it. Every so often I checked distance. Right around the half way point everything got easier.

The course was mostly flat, slight up hills and down hills. Mid 60s, overcast, perfect.

My heart rate monitor had me mostly 160 to 172. When I hit 3 miles and could see the finish I went into a sprint. Heart rate monitor got up to 190...yikes. But went down quickly.

And I actually beat 40 minutes. 39.37, 12.42 min pace. My longest run had been 30 minutes and around 2.5 miles or so. But it really was easier the last half. All the way to the finish line.

So proud of myself. I started in the Texas heat in August somewhere in the 260 lb range. I could not jog from my door a few hundred feet.

Now I did a 5K around half a year later. Running is so worth it. Google running benefits sometime. You literally revamp your body. You get more mitochondria, more capillaries, your body uses oxygen much better. Your brain stays supple. Mood goes up.

So worth it. Run on everyone.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

Great job!
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Congrats!! That is awesome! Very motivational since I have just started running.
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #4  
diamondgeog

Thanks. A little sore last night but fine today. Good running shoes are a must. 5Ks can get expensive but often are for good causes. The net proceeds of this went to local parks. 100% of it.

I am signed up for one on March 30th actually first.

Then I will probably one or two a year and most probably go for a 10K in the Fall this year.

Keep at it running is so good for mind, body, everything.