Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #1  
A Journey for "Me"

S/C/G: 255/248/180

Height: 5'1"

Exclamation Starting over/scared/need advice

I'm new to this site and but I'm desperate for advice. I started out 3 years ago after the birth of my first son, to lose weight. My doctor recommended surgery but I didn't want to go that route, so I chose a weight loss program through my local hospital and lost 40lbs in 4 months. It was aggressive, effective, but expensive to keep up. After losing that weight, I became pregnant again with my second son. Today I find myself back up to 255lbs. The beginning of last year I took a flying leap and ordered the Insanity program. I was really into it until I had a back injury. Now I'm scared about starting it again. Should I start it again? Should I lose weight first and then start it? Has anyone tried the Total Gym? I'm scared about starting something and not finishing it. Any suggestions? Does anyone have any advice about where my calories should be? Thank you for any and all advice!
rmeachum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #2  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi & Welcome!

I don't have any answers for you, but was curious if your back injury was a result of doing the Insanity workout? And are you all healed up?

Good luck with your weight loss goals!
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #3  
A Journey for "Me"

I am currently healed up to an extent. I think I landed wrong with my jumps and that's what initially started the injury. My chiropractor said that it will continue to flare up about every 8 months to a year. I've had it flare up twice since the initial injury but it hasn't been as bad as the first time. So I've just got to watch what I do until I can lose more weight.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Insanity is a really tough program. I did 45/60 days of it and had to quit because I was trashing my knees. I also recall having shoulder problems during that program.

If you do it, I'd recommend modifying the moves that could potentially injure you until you have your form down pat and are sure that you can do them safely.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #5  
Food and Wine Lover

S/C/G: Goal Weight: 125

Height: 5'3"

If you've already had injuries doing a program, maybe you shouldn't do it again. Sounds like you need to find an easier approach to exercise...maybe some low-impact aerobics with yoga and light weight training to rebuild your muscle strength? Then when you feel your body is strong enough, try the insanity workout again. Just my opinion
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #6  
Less of a Better Me

Do you have a strong exercise background before starting Insanity? If you don't, I would start slower with something much more low impact. Even if you do have a strong background, you should avoid anything that might injure you.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/140/115

Height: 5" 0'

I think if I were you I would definitely go for a lower impact workout that is less stressful on your body. It may take a little longer BUT you will still be able to function and move when its all said and done. Work your way up gradually and stay consistent. Your strength and endurance will increase as you get into a routine. As for where your calories should come from.....definitely intake lots of fresh fruits and vegetables all throughout the day and round it off with some good sources of lean proteins and good carbs. Drink LOTS of water. Do you like to have smoothies or make your own juices? This is a great way to take in some of your vegetables and some fruits. It is also a great opportunity to try out something new that maybe you haven't had before.
If it were me I would probably stay away from the Insanity workout for now. There are tons of different ways to get in a good workout without hurting yourself in the process. You can do it!
JessKnorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #8  
A Journey for "Me"

Thank you ladies for your advice! I do appreciate everything. I have started to walk a little each evening and I have some resistance bands now for stretching and such. I have started to cut back a bit on my sugars and carbs and I am down 4lbs in just a few days. It's nice seeing the scale move in the right direction. Hey Jess, you are not far from me! If you need an exercise buddy when it warms up a bit, let me know.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #9  

Default some general advise is you like

You don't say what your food intake is or your age. None-the-less you are very obese. Here's a few suggestions: cut out of your diet as much as possible any sugar - i.e coke, fruit smoothie, breakfast cereals loaded with added sugar, low/no fat yoghurts often are loaded with sugar, honey etc.
drink water, NO energy drinks avoid fruit juice even at breakfast.
herbal tea is quite good. an acquired taste
Start the day with a portion of breakfast cereal no added sugar like Shredded wheat, wheatabix (2) or unsweetened muesli measure out the portion using weighing scales so you see what it looks like in the bowl.

Eat fresh veg. like broccoli good for bones as good provider of calcium.

goats milk is also good and easier to digest (but a bit more expensive) than semi-skimmed cows milk.

If you must have bread avoid white (multigrain or rye is best) and only have only one slice with hardly any spread.

Avoid cheese and other very high fat foods or high fat/sugar meals such as pizzas.
eat fiber and beans/lentils baked beans may contain sugar in the tomato sauce.

Eggs are a great source of protein, best boiled. If fried (use a high heat cook for about 2 minutes) best use kitchen paper to put egg on first before putting on plate.

Never skip breakfast! for snacking seeds are good so are some types of nut esp. almonds (avoid brazils or macadamia) eat small portions only a small handful or some more wheatabix. No chocolate or biscuits. Avoid bananas! Light exercise (10-15 mins/day) until weight drops.
Insanity would be dangerous at your weight level.
Eat smaller portions and eat meat and oily fish once a-week. Avoid tartar sauce and ketchup.

When you're happy with your weight you can start eating more of the other foods such as treating yourself to the occasional piece of strong possibly full fat cheese (you need less of the cheese) and dark (80%-85% Cocoa) chocolate. Remember to only eat these occasionally and in moderation.

PS I'm 56 years old weigh 143 pound do not go to gym and do not starve myself weight has stayed about constant for most of my adult life.

Last edited by johnw; 03-30-2014 at 06:43 AM. Reason: spelling
johnw is offline   Reply With Quote