Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/275/150

Height: 5'5"

Question Warm up? Stretches?

I'm fairly new to this working out business, and I've realized that I am horrible at warming up or stretching before I work out. I guess I don't know what to do/how to do it. Does anyone know any good sites that will help me figure out a warm up routine? If I do workout videos, I do fine since they are included (at least in the ones I do), but what should I do when I go to the gym? Thanks!
CincyShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #2  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Try some of those that you already learned in your workout videos. Otherwise you can have a look on youtube
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Most videos do a good job of showing how to do a dynamic warm up- when working out on my own, I try to duplicate what I would do in a video, making sure I definitely hit the area I plan to work. A little jogging, jumping jacks gets the blood flowing. Arm windmills, arm circles, arms swinging across the body are good for shoulders. Neck stretches by tilting neck side to side, forward. Hip circles to loosen up hips. Butt kicks are great for a dynamic quadricep stretch. Some light straight leg kicks in front stretch the hammies.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #4  

I LOVE using sun salutation as a warm up. I know that some yoga purists might not be so keen as using the sequence as a warm up, but it works well for me. It stretches hamstrings, hip flexors, upper and lower back, shoulders, ankles and wrists, etc. And it's all dynamic stretching, so it doesn't hurt your lifting numbers for resistance work.

Just Google 'Sun Salutation' and loads of videos and step-by-steps come up; I'll usually do two (each side!) slow to start off with, and then a third on either side to get my heart rate up a bit.

If you need clarification, just ask;
Have fun!

ps. Something else that might be helpful is a foam roller, which (when used properly) can help work out stiffness and generally increase mobility and reduce pain. Tennis balls or even a rolled up blanket can work, if you don't want to buy anything new right now.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote