3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   question about "pain" (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/289766-question-about-pain.html)

Tabbycat 11-15-2013 08:09 PM

question about "pain"

I'm 57, about 130 lbs, and been jogging/running/trotting for about a year and a half.

This month I kind of increased my modest mileage by sometimes jogging two or three days in a row, either 2 or 3 miles at a slow 12-13 min pace.

I developed a pain in my right hip or upper thigh when I walk, and I limp a bit when walking. But if I run, I don't limp and it doesn't seem to hurt. What's going on? Is this normal? Should I rest until the walking limp is gone, or ignore it and keep jogging?

Last time I ran was Monday, and Wed and Thurs were the days when people at work really noticed the limping. It was better by Friday, though.

Thanks for any advice...

Kitcherella 11-16-2013 02:03 AM

Two cents here - a) rest b) don't run 2 days in a row much less 3. c) stretch before and after exercise.
I hope you feel better :wave:

Ilene 11-16-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitcherella (Post 4884243)
Two cents here - a) rest b) don't run 2 days in a row much less 3. c) stretch before and after exercise.
I hope you feel better :wave:

What she said :yes:, with the exception of stretching BEFORE exercise... warm up before your run but NEVER stretch a cold muscle... and if you're still a newbie at running definitely don't run 2-3 days in a row... ALWAYS stretch after a run...

monmis12 11-16-2013 07:47 AM

I don't have any advice but I wanted to say I'm sorry you are in pain:(

CherryPie99 11-16-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilene (Post 4884288)
What she said :yes:, with the exception of stretching BEFORE exercise... warm up before your run but NEVER stretch a cold muscle... and if you're still a newbie at running definitely don't run 2-3 days in a row... ALWAYS stretch after a run...

Research shows stretching BEFORE exercise provides no benefit and can actually injure you! So agreed!

Tabbycat 11-16-2013 10:53 AM

Thanks, y'all!

domesticbliss 11-16-2013 02:48 PM

I second the stretching, I got bursitis after I started running and my Ortho doc suggested I stretch super good after my run and then later on that evening...
I also second the posters who said to rest, if there is an injury you could be aggravating it by continuing to run on it.

delmarva 11-19-2013 06:58 PM

I am 52. I have hip pain when jogging. I was beginning to have trouble getting up off the floor, and having some recurrent pain in the front of the knees on stairs, too. Just a mess.

What it was was very week quadricep (VMO) and hip muscles. Once I started with my physical therapist on strengthening exercises, such as wall squats and a whole range of hip exercises with resistance bands, then I have seen some improvement. I am just introducing the treadmill into my routine. I cannot do much of it, or my hips ache. (But ache in a way similar to overuse as would occur on my physical therapy exercises)

So, I guess, based on my own experience and similar age, is I would work on separate knee and hip strengthening exercises for quite a well, and the reintroduce jogging in a limited capacity until your hips are much stronger.

I will tell you, that the rate of decline in hip/glute strength from 40 to 50 was staggering. And totally unnoticeable for the most part, until I got terribly weak.

Good luck!
Cheryl

Tabbycat 11-19-2013 09:19 PM

Thanks!

I seem to be better in the morning, and worse by the end of the day. I'm a teacher, so I'm standing and walking almost all the time. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, though.

gymrat05 12-01-2013 01:57 AM

You could also try a foam roller (especially if it's your hip, it may be stemming from your IT Band). You can find one online for like $15 and there are plenty of youtube videos that show you how to do the exercises properly. They hurt like **** when your muscles are tight (which mine seem to always be) but they're amazing.

Tabbycat 12-01-2013 08:41 PM

Thanks. I never heard of IT band. At first I thought you were talking about something like a pilates band that you use for exercise! Then I googled IT band and that sounds like my problem might be that. I'll start doing some of the stretches and exercises. I'm signed up for a 5K fun run on Saturday, but if I'm still hurting I guess I'll just show up and claim my t-shirt and not run. :( boo

Tabbycat 12-03-2013 06:57 AM

Oh my goodness! I used my extra thick swim noodle as a roller last night. It really hurt! But I think that I'm already better after just a couple of days doing the IT band stretches and after that roller... well, I did wonder for a minute if the reason it feels better is because the intense pain of the rolling is over! LOL
Thanks again to all of you. I was just sitting around doing nothing waiting for healing, and taking hot baths thinking it was a sore muscle. Now I'm doing something helpful. Crossing my fingers that I can do the fun run on Saturday. It will be almost 4 weeks since my last jog.

gymrat05 12-04-2013 01:25 AM

Hahaha. Tabbycat, if it hurts that much (and believe me, I've been there) then you definitely need it. Especially if you're using a pool noodle and not a real foam roller (which is even more firm).

Try and find the spot where it hurts the post and sit there until it gets a little tingly. It could take a minute or so and you'll be cursing me when you do it but it really helps a lot. Good look on your 5k!

CherryPie99 12-04-2013 08:39 AM

Yes, I remember the early torture of using the foam roller! The good news is that it gets better! I foam roll for about 30 minutes every night.

I had horrible IT Band issues last year. I wore an IT Band Strap that I bought off of Amazon that allowed me to run completely pain free while I was rehabbing the band!

Jen