Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #1  

Default Gym Exercise Machines For Upper Arms And Thighs

I'm joining the gym next week, hopefully paying direct debit every month will give me more incentive to go knowing if I don't I'll also be wasting money along with everything else!

I've been before but I only went once a week and paid on the door, and eventually (obviously) stopped going. I plan to do pretty much the same as last time, start on the treadmill and finish on the elliptical. However, in between I used to go on the adductor/abductor for my thighs but have since read that these are pretty much useless.

I wanted to do something in between treadmill and elliptical that would tone thighs and arms.

I thought about either the chest press, the chest press with pads (arms out meeting in the middle) or the front lat pulldown (sorry I'm rubbish with these machine names) for my arms. Trying to prevent sagging skin and bingo wings. Maybe 3 sets of 10 reps, is that enough?

For thighs I've no idea at all, I was looking at the one where you put your feet under the pads and lift them up but I've been put off reading it can be bad. So maybe the thigh press one? Though I'm sure they have ones where you move instead of moving what your feet are against. There's so many I'm so confused lol! Can anyone suggest anything and I can see if we have it in the gym?

Last edited by Beckyx98x; 11-17-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Beckyx98x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I wouldn't discount the abductors for your inner and outer thighs....I press the highest weight I can handle, 3 sets of 10 reps each, and have had GREAT success for both my inner and outer thighs

I also use the bicep curl machine, chest press, oblique twist machine, ab crunch machine, lower back press, seated cable row, and leg press..all at the highest weights that I can handle for 3 sets of 10 each....I have had a lot of success with these and I really like what it's done for my body

I choose to use the machines because of my lower back injuries....a lot of people recommend free weights but with my back, one wrong move and I will be looking at surgery so I am not willing to chance that
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #3  

Really?

I've seen the abductors/adductors on a few lists of machines to avoid not just on this forum but elsewhere.

I choose the machines for a similar reason, I don't get back pain often but I'd rather know that my back is straight or laying on something to reduce the risk.

Maybe for now I'll pick one machine each for thighs and arms, if I end up with spare time and the machines are free I'll investigate some others and do 2 machines each
Beckyx98x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I use free weights, resistance bands, and the pulley machine. Unlike machines, you work all your stabilizers when doing the exercises. It means you might use a little less weight, but you'll gain more functional fitness along with your strength. It will teach you to work on proper posture. And, you can work on your stabilizers (rotator cuff) specifically, which is specifically important for us ladies. In the process of striving for strength, it is too easy to get a cuff tear if your smaller tendons and ligaments are not "holding you together" well. I've been through lots of physical therapy, so I can tell you there are a wide array of exercises you can do with those three things - and it will really make your arms look better too!

Last edited by delmarva; 11-19-2013 at 06:53 PM.
delmarva is offline   Reply With Quote