Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #1  
Hopeful

S/C/G: 225.60/198.0/160

Height: 5'10"

Default HELP! I hit a plateau with Zumba!

So Ive been doing Zumba for about 5 months and lost 37 lbs (yay!) But I haven't lost a single lb in these past 3 weeks! I need to change something up. My diet is good, no rice, bread, or sugary drinks.
I want to break through this wall so bad and see that scale drop again.
Please give me some good ideas on what work out routine I need to try next.
loriherdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #2  

Losing 37 pounds in 5 months is fantastic. But keep in mind that a person can lose weight fast in the first few months--and that speed in weight loss slows down to seems what seems like a crawl at times--which is a plateau--then it will pick up again and so on, if you're working out hard and eating right. It's important to note that pounds that are lost slowly tend to stay off, versus pounds that are lost too quickly. It's gets slower when you start getting close to your goal weight. But if you keep it up-you're bound to keep losing weight, maybe a little slower but it's still in the right direction.

It's taken me two years of Jazzerise to lose 15 pounds--and I still have few very resistant pounds to go. If you want you can add some elliptical or some weights and other forms of exercise to work other muscles on top of your Zumba-and that might help with the speed-but it appears to me that you're doing just great.

And remember you've already lost 37 of these. And you did it in only 5 months. Then ask yourself how long did it take you to become overweight?--to give you some kind of comparison--and then pat yourself on the back.

Last edited by Kscott; 10-11-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

If you're doing Zumba at a gym, are they offering other types of classes? If at home, buy a new tape... Start weight training at home/gym. Add another exercise walking, walking hills, walk/jogging, hiking... I'm not familiar with Zumba but can you intensify the moves? Make them grander, squat lower? \

You definitely need to kick your workout a notch, workouts should be changed around after 6 weeks max...

Oh and congrats on the weightloss
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #4  

When you do only one type of exercise, Zumba in you case, your body becomes very efficient at doing it and burns less calories. You need to switch out different types of exercise every few months. Interval training is a great way to get the scale moving again.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #5  

Are you counting your calories? Your new weight requires you to eat at a lower set of calories then you did when you were 37 lbs heavier. It doesn't matter if the food is heavy. Eat a bit less of it.
AppundanceTim is offline   Reply With Quote