Nervous to do excercise classes!

• Hi All,

So I'm finally making some permanent lifestyle changes and the next one will be incorporating regular excercise into my life. The rec center near me offers unlimited water/land classes for only $50 a month. I mean fun stuff like Zumba, Hip hop, Deep water aerobics, etc. I really want to go, but I'm nervous. Will I fail in the middle of the class? Will I look like an idiot?

How did you overcome this?
  • I'm the same way...especially when I am all by myself and going to a class the first time, because I'd much rather go with a friend. However, I started Bodypump classes last Friday and I am LOVING them! Had I not sucked it up (I told myself as I was heading there," suck it up buttercup"), I'd have missed out on something that I am really enjoying. I am doing my 4th class here in about 45 minutes.

Just go in and enjoy yourself! The instructors are usually really good about new people, and will say, if you have to stop or modify something, don't worry about it. Just go, have fun, and get moving
  • There is no "failing" in an exercise class, and no, you won't look like an idiot. You'll look like a person who cares about their health and is working out -- like all the other sweaty, working-out people around you!

I bet you'll have fun, and meet nice people, and get a great workout. It will only feel new the first time, after that you're a "regular"! GO have fun!
  • Thanks for the replies!
    I do feel better about it. I guess I'm just worried I may start a fire with my thighs.

Enjoy your weekend!
  • When I went, it took me a while to learn steps and how to move my body to a rhythmic routine, but that's all. Most classes tend to have participants of various levels, and everyone is too busy focusing on what they're doing to take stock in what others are up to other than making sure to not bump into anyone. You'll be fine! Let us know how it goes!
  • No worries, everyone starts somewhere and everyone else in class is paying so much attention to what they're doing they really have no time to watch you, otherwise they will be the one falling down haha. This is exercise for fun, not competition for a gold medal. Enjoy it-and have a great time earning your sweat of honor badge. There is no such thing as failure in trying, only in not trying will you find shame and failure.
  • So I thought I was in pretty decent shape but I know I need to step up my work outs if I want to reach my goal so I went to my first bootcamp class last week.
    Well I was definitely at the bottom of the heap, I was the most out of shape person there by far! I could barely keep up!

But I really don't think most people noticed, they were too busy pushing themselves and working hard. The people who did notice cheered me on for being there and told me to keep it up and it would get easier.

I think you should try classes, I find they push me and are really fun!
  • Just do it. From my experience, those in your classes will be worrying about what they are doing, keeping up with the instructor, etc.