Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #1  
just do it :)

S/C/G: ticker!

Height: 5'6

Default Favorite Bodyweight Exercises

As much as I love working out with equipment or using DVD's with weights and bands, I think that sometimes it can be beneficial to get back to basics and keep it simple. I'm in a bit of a plateau, so I want to shake up my routine and instead of buying a new DVD, I'm going to try working out with just my body for a while.

So - what are your favorite bodyweight exercises?
lanabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #2  
Jiggly Member

S/C/G: 220/195/140?

Height: 5'2"

I've just started so I don't have a lot of experience with body weight exercises. But they are the first step of my exercise plan mostly because there are no excuses for not doing it. But everything I've read tells me that they are just a good idea.

I've started with squats, so they are the current favorite, but I plan on adding planks, pushups (just did first day of these yesterday) and pullups (will need piece of equipment for this one).
Stay Puft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/220

Height: 5'10"

I'm new to body weight exercises but right now I'm doing a 30 day squat challenge and a 30 day push-up challenge. I'm also looking at adding planks, bridges, chair dips, lunges etc.
JeniH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #4  

Thanks for your responses

Jeni, does the 30 day push up challenge lead up to doing 'real' push ups or just build on a number? Cause I've been working on my arms for a while but I still can't do actual push ups.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I'm another big fan of both planks and pushups and variations of both. I just started a new program and two of the toughest exercises were body weight ones. Planks with alternating leg lifts and Alternating T-Stabilization (which starts off in push up position). You should be able to find videos of both on youtube.

Lunges and squats are great too. My legs have definitely tightened up since doing both. Another good body weight leg exercise are step ups. I just use a regular kitchen chair with no extra weight and make sure I'm only using one leg. The higher the chair the better the workout.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:50 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabug View Post
Thanks for your responses

Jeni, does the 30 day push up challenge lead up to doing 'real' push ups or just build on a number? Cause I've been working on my arms for a while but I still can't do actual push ups.
Just increases the number of push ups. It doesn't specify how you do them, that's up to you. I'm doing them on a counter (can't do even one regular push up lol). I was thinking when I'm done with the 30 days I could do it again either against the sofa arm (lower so it would be harder) or do "girly push-ups". Maybe I could work up to regular push ups... I'd be happy just being able to do one!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:30 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changergirl View Post
I'm another big fan of both planks and pushups and variations of both. I just started a new program and two of the toughest exercises were body weight ones. Planks with alternating leg lifts and Alternating T-Stabilization (which starts off in push up position). You should be able to find videos of both on youtube.

Lunges and squats are great too. My legs have definitely tightened up since doing both. Another good body weight leg exercise are step ups. I just use a regular kitchen chair with no extra weight and make sure I'm only using one leg. The higher the chair the better the workout.
Ooh, I've got a question for you in that case! As someone who does both, which do you think is better to start off with, planks or push ups? I've always been really awful at both of them, and while I intend to do both, I'm wondering if one is better to start building certain muscles to help with the other or not.

I feel kind of silly since I've almost spent tons of money on those little rubber 'steps' that you can stack up to do that, it honestly never even crossed my mind that I could just put a chair or something against a wall. Lol thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniH View Post
Just increases the number of push ups. It doesn't specify how you do them, that's up to you. I'm doing them on a counter (can't do even one regular push up lol). I was thinking when I'm done with the 30 days I could do it again either against the sofa arm (lower so it would be harder) or do "girly push-ups". Maybe I could work up to regular push ups... I'd be happy just being able to do one!
That's actually a really good idea though! I think starting out with the 'easier' ones and building that up would help build muscle regardless so when you progress to a proper push up, it won't seem so far out there impossible.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:35 AM   #8  

That's what I'm hoping!
Old 08-31-2013, 03:59 AM   #9  

Let me know how it goes for you! I think I'm gonna follow suit regardless