The perfect post workout drink is ...

• BEER!!!!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...after-workout/

Quote:
    Researchers at Granada University in Spain have found that beer can help the body rehydrate better after a workout than water or Gatorade.

Professor Manuel Garzon also claimed the carbonation in beer helps to quench the thirst and that its carbohydrate content can help replace lost calories, The Telegraph reports.

The study involved a group of students who were asked to work out until their body temperature reached 104 degrees. Researchers then gave beer to half of the students and water to the other half.

Mr. Garzon announced the results at a press conference in Granada, saying the hydration effect in those who drank beer was “slightly better,” The Telegraph reports.

A cardiologist with the Real Madrid football team, Dr. Juan Antonio Corbalan, told the paper he long has recommended barley drinks to professional sportsmen after exhausting activities.
    I am so IN!!!
  • Well I think slightly better is hardly astounding. I hear coconut water is one of the best.
  • That's funny and not surprising. Gator aid and other sports type drinks are loaded with calories--but so is beer. So for me--I think I'll stay with water.
  • Quote: That's funny and not surprising. Gator aid and other sports type drinks are loaded with calories--but so is beer. So for me--I think I'll stay with water.
    Amen!
  • Beer has done wonders on my diet.

But after a very heavy workout I use Isoflex mixed with water.

I certainly drink beer after tennis and squash though and drink the stuff daily.

It's great for a diet. As long as you don't eat junk with it.

You simply cannot get fat drinking beer alone.
  • " and that its carbohydrate content can help replace lost calories"

But I don't WANT to replace lost calories, that defeats the purpose of the workout to me!
  • Beer calories don't seem to work the way other calories do with me.

I drink like a fish and still lose. The trick is not to eat junk when you drink which is where most people slip up.
  • Personally, I just don't like beer. If it works for you, I say do what you gotta do
  • I wish I liked beer.
  • Quote: Beer has done wonders on my diet.

But after a very heavy workout I use Isoflex mixed with water.

I certainly drink beer after tennis and squash though and drink the stuff daily.

It's great for a diet. As long as you don't eat junk with it.

You simply cannot get fat drinking beer alone.
    Ha.Ha.--I have to disagree with that point--the beer bellies I see around says they're drinking a lot more beer than just one or two beers. And every single beer has approximately 100 calories or more in them-so 5 or 6 beers is an additional 500 to 600 calories you really didn't need. And I really don't think anyone has tried to live on beer alone ha.ha. You look like you're fairly young and can probably get away with it now--but believe it will catch up eventually.
  • Quote: Ha.Ha.--I have to disagree with that point--the beer bellies I see around says they're drinking a lot more beer than just one or two beers. And every single beer has approximately 100 calories or more in them-so 5 or 6 beers is an additional 500 to 600 calories you really didn't need. And I really don't think anyone has tried to live on beer alone ha.ha. You look like you're fairly young and can probably get away with it now--but believe it will catch up eventually.
    He drinks beer in place of dinner, so same amount of calories. Plus, when drinking, your body pushes any food you are eating into storage (FAT) so it can metabolize the alcohol (since alcohol is a poison to the body). That is what really contribute to "beer belly" way more so than the extra calories.

Problem for most people is that alcohol lowers inhibitions so suddenly that off plan greasy (enter food here) sounds really delicious and many people give in instead of resist.

ETA: now if you question the NUTRITIONAL value of this plan that may be a different story... lol
  • Not to mention how absolutely HORRIBLE alcohol is for every organ in your body! Liver, skin, kidneys - your body sees alcohol as a POISON.

I'm glad it works for you Ian for weight loss, but I think your ultimate health is suffering...

Jen