Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249/~~~/149

Height: 5'6

Default Has Anyone Joined Curves?

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of joining Curves to beef up my workout routine. Does anyone else belong at this time? Do you have positive or negative feedback about them?

Thank you!

~ Amy
Amy Remixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

I had a membership for a couple of months a few years ago. To be honest, I didn't feel it was intense enough for me, although was over 250 lbs at the time. I didn't break much of a sweat and wasn't sore after at all. Then when I was the inches-loser for the month, that actually sealed the deal for me. I didn't feel I was making good progress, yet I was making better progress than ANYONE at that center!

I really like Jillian Michael's 30-day Shred Video. I feel like that's a good workout when you don't want to commit much time. Intense, but short. Plus I feel sore the next day so I know I'm working undeveloped muscles.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/148.8/129

Height: 5'3"

I had a membership there for a number of months back in about 2007. I started at 160 pounds and was nearly 130 by the time I left; 10 of those pounds came off in the first month. I don't recall being sore when I left but I was rarely still. Between machines, I'd practically hop in place and I always pushed to do the best that I could on each machine. By the time I finished, I was always drenched in sweat.

All that matters is you give it your all and it's something you feel you can stick with.
Doomkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #4  

Thank you for your input. I'll probably go for the consultation next week. I'll consider what you've said when I check it out.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 315.1/203.8/165?

Height: 5'6"

I found Curves to be a good starting point as it is very welcoming and un-intimidating. However, after awhile, my social nature kicked in and I found that I wasn't pushing myself due to chatting with the other ladies. Eventually, you will probably want to end up in a traditional fitness center, but Curves will help get you there if you're not comfortable yet.
happy dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #6  

Hi happy dance,

That is my exact thinking. I need to start in a friendly, non-intimidating place. Years ago I joined a high-falutin' gym and that was miserable. I had good work outs. But the sales pitches for individual training were a bit much. And the environment was a total meat market.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #7  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

I did a free month trial with Curves 3 summers ago. Even thought I was terribly out of shape I found I needed more. Also there was a lot of chit chat between the ladies. I'm the type that likes to stay focused and get in and out. Although it wasn't for me, I do think it's a great place to get started.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #8  

I had a membership for about 1 year and then moved on--but my sister and mother (have been going to Curves) for years now and still love it. My sister now incorporates a little Zumba at home to keep up her aerobic activity--but she's at Curves every morning at 6 a.m.and she looks great.

Last edited by Kscott; 07-21-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #9  

I've registered for a free consultation. I'll tour my local Curves. I'll let you all know what I think.