3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Calling all longish distance runners (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/284725-calling-all-longish-distance-runners.html)

fatferretfanatic 07-13-2013 08:08 AM

Calling all longish distance runners

I've been training for a half marathon next month, and things are going great. I've gotten used to distances of around ten miles, and until I reach my tenth mile, it's all smiles and happiness. When I get past that, I start feeling it in my calves. It's not pain, exactly, but a crampiness that can get painful until I finish my run. I ran 11.5 yesterday, which was great, but the last mile and a half was murder on my calves. They recovered quickly, and I took a bath and massaged them out and there's no residual soreness today or anything. However, I'd like to minimize the cramping on my runs, if possible. Is it a matter of dehydration or electrolyte loss? I don't drink sports drinks or eat energy gels, but I do get plenty of water. Any advice on how to use those tools to my advantage? Or do I just have to get used to my distances more? I'm happy with where I am, and any advice is appreciated.

TripSwitch 07-13-2013 06:51 PM

I would keep drinking water for the first hour, but then I would try experimenting with an electrolyte replacement drink or some energy gels and start taking in some "fuel" like that starting after 60 minutes of running and keep taking it in every 15 minutes until you finish your run... and that should make a big difference...

Good luck on your upcoming half marathon!

fatferretfanatic 07-14-2013 08:30 AM

Thank you! I can't wait to try it!

CherryPie99 07-14-2013 08:51 AM

Geez, I wish I had some advice to give you, but I've never experienced this.

Do you stretch well after your runs? It may be a matter of stretching and strengthening.

Since I had my IT Band issue, I have become a TOTAL believer in foam rolling. You might want to pick up a roller and try using it both before and after the run.

Jen

fatferretfanatic 07-14-2013 08:59 AM

Thank you! I must admit I never stretch, and oddly (stupidly?) enough, I never thought about it. I'll do some research

Kscott 07-15-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatferretfanatic (Post 4791969)
I've been training for a half marathon next month, and things are going great. I've gotten used to distances of around ten miles, and until I reach my tenth mile, it's all smiles and happiness. When I get past that, I start feeling it in my calves. It's not pain, exactly, but a crampiness that can get painful until I finish my run. I ran 11.5 yesterday, which was great, but the last mile and a half was murder on my calves. They recovered quickly, and I took a bath and massaged them out and there's no residual soreness today or anything. However, I'd like to minimize the cramping on my runs, if possible. Is it a matter of dehydration or electrolyte loss? I don't drink sports drinks or eat energy gels, but I do get plenty of water. Any advice on how to use those tools to my advantage? Or do I just have to get used to my distances more? I'm happy with where I am, and any advice is appreciated.

It sounds to me like it could be both. You may want to try some salt pills--and also watch those electrolyte's you need them. My nephew has a problem with this--and has to watch what his body is doing when he's exercising otherwise he cramps up all over. BTW--I think banana's have something to do with keeping cramps at bay--not certain if that is true or not--but eating a banana may work for you?

I was at the Leadville Silver Rush run yesterday--a 50 mile ultra-marathon and noticed a lot of runners eating banana's.

The below article is "A banana a day--keeps the leg cramps away."

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/mya...eg-cramps-away

Good Luck

fatferretfanatic 07-16-2013 07:45 AM

That's awesome advice; thank you! Oh, I'm super jealous that you were at Leadville as well. I bet that was exciting.

Kscott 07-16-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatferretfanatic (Post 4793814)
That's awesome advice; thank you! Oh, I'm super jealous that you were at Leadville as well. I bet that was exciting.

Yes it is. We have a girlfriend that was running it--her first time and she came in at 11 hours 59 minutes. It's a tough one--with elevation gains of over 12 thousand feet she had to do 4 times during the race. She made it--came in drenched as it was raining hard toward the end of the race and of course exhausted.

It was a major mile stone for her--I am just worried she'll want to do the Leadville 100 next year lol. We're lucky we only live a couple of hours out of Leadville--so an easy trip for us.

I forgot to mention--that our girlfriend used to be 80 pounds overweight--and has been training for this race for the last 1-1/2 to two years. It just goes to show what someone can do that is determined to get in shape and stay that way.

fatferretfanatic 07-18-2013 07:57 AM

That is absolutely wonderful. I've dreamed of doing a Leadville race, and I know I can someday. I bet you guys are so proud of your girlfriend. What a major accomlishment for her and for your husband (I know he's run more than one ultra, but nonetheless)!